Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
Author Message
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?

Hello,
    Could someone please help me by briefly explaining the difference
between the standalone Visual Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET professional
edition (besides no C# or J#)?  Also, if I wanted to use, say, a Perl .NET
compiler, could I use it in the standalone VB.NET, or would I need VS.NET
Professional?

Thank you,
Victor Boyer
www.victechsoftware.com

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:11:14 GMT
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
I'm here looking for essentially the same answer. The marketing data for
VS.NET Pro ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
indicates the following features that are not specific to C++, C#, J# and
I'm wondering what gets unbundled from VB.NET. Does anybody know?

XML Web services
Windows Forms (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
Web Forms
Mobile Web Forms
Pocket PC and Windows CE .NET-based applications
.NET Framework and the Common Language Runtime (seems obvious to be in
VB.NET)
Visual Basic .NET Upgrade Wizard (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
Visual Basic .NET (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
Built-in support for additional programming languages
Shared Visual Studio .NET integrated development environment (IDE) (seems
obvious to be in VB.NET)
RAD for the server
Visual Studio .NET De{*filter*} (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
Dynamic Help (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
Task List
HTML Designer
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)
Visual Database Tools
XML Designer

Quote:
> Hello,
>     Could someone please help me by briefly explaining the difference
> between the standalone Visual Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET professional
> edition (besides no C# or J#)?  Also, if I wanted to use, say, a Perl .NET
> compiler, could I use it in the standalone VB.NET, or would I need VS.NET
> Professional?

> Thank you,
> Victor Boyer
> www.victechsoftware.com

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:17:38 GMT
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
I'm looking for the same exact answer. I know that MS wants to steer folks
to the higher priced VS.Net Pro ($249 w/rebate), but yet want to attract
developers to the .Net platform in general via a normal VB upgrade path with
VB.Net Standard (~$100). I'm hoping that we get everything in VBNS as is
listed with VSNP and it's only a matter of not having access to C++ and C#.

-Andy Brown

Quote:
> I'm here looking for essentially the same answer. The marketing data for
> VS.NET Pro ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
> indicates the following features that are not specific to C++, C#, J# and
> I'm wondering what gets unbundled from VB.NET. Does anybody know?

> XML Web services
> Windows Forms (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> Web Forms
> Mobile Web Forms
> Pocket PC and Windows CE .NET-based applications
> .NET Framework and the Common Language Runtime (seems obvious to be in
> VB.NET)
> Visual Basic .NET Upgrade Wizard (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> Visual Basic .NET (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> Built-in support for additional programming languages
> Shared Visual Studio .NET integrated development environment (IDE) (seems
> obvious to be in VB.NET)
> RAD for the server
> Visual Studio .NET De{*filter*} (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> Dynamic Help (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> Task List
> HTML Designer
> Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)
> Visual Database Tools
> XML Designer

> > Hello,
> >     Could someone please help me by briefly explaining the difference
> > between the standalone Visual Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET
professional
> > edition (besides no C# or J#)?  Also, if I wanted to use, say, a Perl
.NET
> > compiler, could I use it in the standalone VB.NET, or would I need
VS.NET
> > Professional?

> > Thank you,
> > Victor Boyer
> > www.victechsoftware.com

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 01:28:31 GMT
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
Here's what's included in VB.NET Standard:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
vbgrfvisualbasicstandardeditionfeatures.asp - looks like we'll need to buy
VS.NET if we want things like the upgrade wizard - drat!

Victor Boyer

Quote:
> I'm looking for the same exact answer. I know that MS wants to steer folks
> to the higher priced VS.Net Pro ($249 w/rebate), but yet want to attract
> developers to the .Net platform in general via a normal VB upgrade path
with
> VB.Net Standard (~$100). I'm hoping that we get everything in VBNS as is
> listed with VSNP and it's only a matter of not having access to C++ and
C#.

> -Andy Brown

> > I'm here looking for essentially the same answer. The marketing data for
> > VS.NET Pro ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
> > indicates the following features that are not specific to C++, C#, J#
and
> > I'm wondering what gets unbundled from VB.NET. Does anybody know?

> > XML Web services
> > Windows Forms (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > Web Forms
> > Mobile Web Forms
> > Pocket PC and Windows CE .NET-based applications
> > .NET Framework and the Common Language Runtime (seems obvious to be in
> > VB.NET)
> > Visual Basic .NET Upgrade Wizard (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > Visual Basic .NET (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > Built-in support for additional programming languages
> > Shared Visual Studio .NET integrated development environment (IDE)
(seems
> > obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > RAD for the server
> > Visual Studio .NET De{*filter*} (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > Dynamic Help (seems obvious to be in VB.NET)
> > Task List
> > HTML Designer
> > Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)
> > Visual Database Tools
> > XML Designer

> > > Hello,
> > >     Could someone please help me by briefly explaining the difference
> > > between the standalone Visual Basic.NET and Visual Studio.NET
> professional
> > > edition (besides no C# or J#)?  Also, if I wanted to use, say, a Perl
> .NET
> > > compiler, could I use it in the standalone VB.NET, or would I need
> VS.NET
> > > Professional?

> > > Thank you,
> > > Victor Boyer
> > > www.victechsoftware.com

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:10:40 GMT
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
I wish it were only $249. My most recent home version is VB4. That makes it
$1079. Yah gotta really want some of those tools.

Quote:
> I'm looking for the same exact answer. I know that MS wants to steer folks
> to the higher priced VS.Net Pro ($249 w/rebate), but yet want to attract
> developers to the .Net platform in general via a normal VB upgrade path
with
> VB.Net Standard (~$100). I'm hoping that we get everything in VBNS as is
> listed with VSNP and it's only a matter of not having access to C++ and

C#.

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:33:36 GMT
 Differences between VB.NET and VSPro.NET?
It looks like the only thing missing I'd theoretically like to have is the
full suite of visual tools to muck with MSDE. I say theoretically because I
have so many other projects that really ought to come before playing around
with MSDE. (The full tool is only available with the Enterprise VS.NET,
besides.) I'm really surprised the upgrade wizard doesn't appear to be
included--I wonder if that's an omission. It seems an odd slap in the face
of the VB users who are equal or more likely to need it than the VS users.

Best Buy advertised VC++.NET and VC#.NET Standard Editions for $89 today--I
went and checked, they didn't have VB.NET Standard. (Though they had one
copy of each of the others.)

Quote:
> Here's what's included in VB.NET Standard:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbco...
Quote:
> vbgrfvisualbasicstandardeditionfeatures.asp - looks like we'll need to buy
> VS.NET if we want things like the upgrade wizard - drat!

> Victor Boyer

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:02:02 GMT

1. Difference between VB NET and VB NET 2003

2. VB.net and ASP.net what is the difference

3. Remaining differences VB.NET <> C++.NET

4. VB.NET: Steps for Converting a Windows .NET Application to a Web .NET Application

5. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

6. how to use the system.net.sockets and system.net in VB.net

7. VS.Net + Cr.Net and VB.Net

8. Difference between VB 6 & Vb.Net

9. differences to VB 6 for VB.NET

10. differences to VB 6 for VB.NET

11. Difference between build and rebuild in VB.NET?

12. In this case, what's the difference between CSharp and VB.NET Exception Handling