microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
Author Message
 microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general

Hi all,

1.
When I do a search* using the (IE) "search assistant" MSN is nice
enough to return a half a dozen or so thumbnail previews of the web
pages it finds.

I'd like to be able to do the same thing in an app.

2.
I'd also like to create a spider/offline browser that automatically
saves the pages.  The last time I looked into doing this, it was my
understanding that it was not possible to save the entire page (images
and all) with 1 line of code, or without having the "Save as" dialog
box pop up and wait for a key click.  Is that still the case?  In
other words I want to save the entire page automatically, just like
the 'save as' does.

*lately I don't see the previews... did they kill that feature?

TIA-BV

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:50:55 GMT
 microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
Hi,

1. I am not very clear about your question. The search panel in IE or MSN just link to a specialy URL. If you want to implement this,
you can add a web browser control to the application and pass a special URL to the control.

2. This is not an automation interface or API to help you save the whole HTML page.

In IE's save as dialog, there is a file type named 'MHTML'. This type of file contain the everything of a page. You can use the
CreateMHTMLBody method of CDO to create a Message and then save the message to the file. The following code fragment
demos how to do this.

Dim iMsg as New CDO.Message
Dim iBp as CDO.IBodyPart
Dim Stm as ADODB.Stream

iMsg.CreateMHTMLBody "http://URL", "user","pass"

Set iBp = iMsg.HTMLBodyPart
Set Stm = iBp.GetStream
Stm.SaveToFile "path"

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this post.

Best Regards,

Jun Su
Microsoft Support

---

--------------------

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
| Subject: microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
|
| Hi all,
|
| 1.
| When I do a search* using the (IE) "search assistant" MSN is nice
| enough to return a half a dozen or so thumbnail previews of the web
| pages it finds.
|
| I'd like to be able to do the same thing in an app.
|
| 2.
| I'd also like to create a spider/offline browser that automatically
| saves the pages.  The last time I looked into doing this, it was my
| understanding that it was not possible to save the entire page (images
| and all) with 1 line of code, or without having the "Save as" dialog
| box pop up and wait for a key click.  Is that still the case?  In
| other words I want to save the entire page automatically, just like
| the 'save as' does.
|

| *lately I don't see the previews... did they kill that feature?
|
| TIA-BV

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:30:13 GMT
 microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
Hi,

Thanks for you response.

I'm asking two questions:

I want to write an app that can do the same thing that MSN search
does: I want to make (preview) thumbnails of web pages.

The next question is: how can I save an entire web page automatically?
 I tried your code, but it doesn't create the images folder (like the
"save as" does) and there are no images saved along with the HTML.  If
it did, it'd be perfect I think.

Quote:

> 1. I am not very clear about your question. The search panel in IE or MSN just link to a specialy URL. If you want to implement this,
> you can add a web browser control to the application and pass a special URL to the control.

> 2. This is not an automation interface or API to help you save the whole HTML page.

> In IE's save as dialog, there is a file type named 'MHTML'. This type of file contain the everything of a page. You can use the
> CreateMHTMLBody method of CDO to create a Message and then save the message to the file. The following code fragment
> demos how to do this.

> Dim iMsg as New CDO.Message
> Dim iBp as CDO.IBodyPart
> Dim Stm as ADODB.Stream

> iMsg.CreateMHTMLBody "http://URL", "user","pass"

> Set iBp = iMsg.HTMLBodyPart
> Set Stm = iBp.GetStream
> Stm.SaveToFile "path"

> I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this post.

> Best Regards,

> Jun Su
> Microsoft Support

> ---

> --------------------

> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
> | Subject: microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
> |
> | Hi all,
> |
> | 1.
> | When I do a search* using the (IE) "search assistant" MSN is nice
> | enough to return a half a dozen or so thumbnail previews of the web
> | pages it finds.
> |
> | I'd like to be able to do the same thing in an app.
> |
> | 2.
> | I'd also like to create a spider/offline browser that automatically
> | saves the pages.  The last time I looked into doing this, it was my
> | understanding that it was not possible to save the entire page (images
> | and all) with 1 line of code, or without having the "Save as" dialog
> | box pop up and wait for a key click.  Is that still the case?  In
> | other words I want to save the entire page automatically, just like
> | the 'save as' does.
> |

> | *lately I don't see the previews... did they kill that feature?
> |
> | TIA-BV

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:49:28 GMT
 microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
Hi,

1. Please reference this article on how to generate thumbnail:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0600/w2kui2/default.aspx

2. The CreateMHTMLBody will generate the a MHT file which contains all the
images.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this post.

Best Regards,

Jun Su
Microsoft Support

---

--------------------

| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
| Subject: Re: Web Page ThumbNails - Saving a webpage with images
|
| Hi,
|
| Thanks for you response.
|
| I'm asking two questions:
|
| I want to write an app that can do the same thing that MSN search
| does: I want to make (preview) thumbnails of web pages.
|
| The next question is: how can I save an entire web page automatically?
|  I tried your code, but it doesn't create the images folder (like the
| "save as" does) and there are no images saved along with the HTML.  If
| it did, it'd be perfect I think.
|

| > 1. I am not very clear about your question. The search panel in IE or
MSN just link to a specialy URL. If you want to implement this,
| > you can add a web browser control to the application and pass a special
URL to the control.

| > 2. This is not an automation interface or API to help you save the
whole HTML page.

| > In IE's save as dialog, there is a file type named 'MHTML'. This type
of file contain the everything of a page. You can use the
| > CreateMHTMLBody method of CDO to create a Message and then save the
message to the file. The following code fragment
| > demos how to do this.
| >
| > Dim iMsg as New CDO.Message
| > Dim iBp as CDO.IBodyPart
| > Dim Stm as ADODB.Stream
| >
| > iMsg.CreateMHTMLBody "http://URL", "user","pass"
| >
| > Set iBp = iMsg.HTMLBodyPart
| > Set Stm = iBp.GetStream
| > Stm.SaveToFile "path"
| >
| > I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this
post.

| > Best Regards,
| >
| > Jun Su
| > Microsoft Support
| >
| > ---
rights.

| > --------------------

| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
| > | Subject: microsoft.public.dotnet.vb.general
| > |
| > | Hi all,
| > |
| > | 1.
| > | When I do a search* using the (IE) "search assistant" MSN is nice
| > | enough to return a half a dozen or so thumbnail previews of the web
| > | pages it finds.
| > |
| > | I'd like to be able to do the same thing in an app.
| > |
| > | 2.
| > | I'd also like to create a spider/offline browser that automatically
| > | saves the pages.  The last time I looked into doing this, it was my
| > | understanding that it was not possible to save the entire page (images
| > | and all) with 1 line of code, or without having the "Save as" dialog
| > | box pop up and wait for a key click.  Is that still the case?  In
| > | other words I want to save the entire page automatically, just like
| > | the 'save as' does.
| > |
| > |
| > | *lately I don't see the previews... did they kill that feature?
| > |
| > | TIA-BV
| > |

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:50:15 GMT

1. microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb missing?

2. microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

3. New group needed: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.advocacy

4. microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion, microsoft.public.vb.enterprise

5. microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vf ??

6. microsoft.public.vb.database;microsoft.public.vb.database.ado;microsoft.public.vb.database.dao

7. New discussion group wanted - microsoft.public.vb.improvements or vb.wish

8. microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet

9. microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet

10. Sneakpeek explanation and summary for microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet

11. connecting to online database (posted also on microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

12. RIP microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion