sql connection changes from test platform to working platform
Author Message
 sql connection changes from test platform to working platform

How do I install an app with hundreds of connections that connect to sql
server on a development platform when the connection required will differ on
the working platform?

I'm using this connection:
Me.SqlConnection1.ConnectionString = "data source=D5Z0071;initial
catalog=IMC;integrated security=SSPI;persist security info=False;workstation
id=D5Z0071;packet size=4096"

At least the workstation ID and the data source change when I port the
system.  Of course, I can change the code throughout my app, but many of the
connections are developed using the vs data wizard; they exist in the code
generated by the environment and any changes will result in a rebuild back
to the connection string of the development platform, so, again, I will have
to do a lot of manual work to ensure that everything can be transferred
correctly.

Then too, if I want to test on the development platform, I have to
temporarily change it back to that connection, etc.  Pretty painful.

Is there a better workaround?

Tx for any help.

Bernie Yaeger

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:53:10 GMT
 sql connection changes from test platform to working platform
Hello,

Quote:
> How do I install an app with hundreds of connections that connect to sql
> server on a development platform when the connection required will differ
on
> the working platform?

> I'm using this connection:
> Me.SqlConnection1.ConnectionString = "data source=D5Z0071;initial
> catalog=IMC;integrated security=SSPI;persist security

info=False;workstation

Quote:
> id=D5Z0071;packet size=4096"

Maybe the folks in the database newsgroups can help you:

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner
--
http://www.mvps.org/dotnet

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 07:04:37 GMT
 sql connection changes from test platform to working platform
1. You can shorten the string from:

To:
Me.SqlConnection1.ConnectionString = "data source=D5Z0071;initial
catalog=IMC;integrated security=SSPI;"

2. I define the connection string in my app once during log-on and then use
it as a variable from then on. Therefore, if I want to change servers, I
simply type in the new server name in my log-on and am done.
--
Joe Fallon

Quote:
> How do I install an app with hundreds of connections that connect to sql
> server on a development platform when the connection required will differ
on
> the working platform?

> I'm using this connection:
> Me.SqlConnection1.ConnectionString = "data source=D5Z0071;initial
> catalog=IMC;integrated security=SSPI;persist security

info=False;workstation
Quote:
> id=D5Z0071;packet size=4096"

> At least the workstation ID and the data source change when I port the
> system.  Of course, I can change the code throughout my app, but many of
the
> connections are developed using the vs data wizard; they exist in the code
> generated by the environment and any changes will result in a rebuild back
> to the connection string of the development platform, so, again, I will
have
> to do a lot of manual work to ensure that everything can be transferred
> correctly.

> Then too, if I want to test on the development platform, I have to
> temporarily change it back to that connection, etc.  Pretty painful.

> Is there a better workaround?

> Tx for any help.

> Bernie Yaeger

Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:48:12 GMT

1. Connection errors with Visual Basic 4 16-bit and SQL server 6.5 on a 3.11 platform

2. Best way to handle connection /string across platforms?

3. Platforms that .Net mail works with

4. RegisterServiceProcess does not work as specified in the Platform SDK

5. Platform Manager won't connect even though ActiveSync works fine

6. Can't Change Platform on Acquired Project

7. SQL Server Developer Platforms

8. VB 4.0/SQL Retriever ODBC/AIX Platform/Oracle Database

9. Min. development platform for MS-SQL-Server frontends

10. Help W/ SQL on Mac Platform

11. can SQL syntax be used across DB platforms

12. ado/ multiple db platforms/ on sql statement