slow loading of .exe file
Author Message
 slow loading of .exe file

Hi there,

It is extramely slow to load the application. The file is
relative small (70 KB) and no network and database
connection, no image loading process involved.  There is
no difference in loading time if the file is being
reloaded.

I posted this message earlier and lost the thread.  Thanks
very much for help.

Hugh

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:30:34 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Hello Hugh!

Quote:
> It is extramely slow to load the application. The file is
> relative small (70 KB) and no network and database
> connection, no image loading process involved.  There is
> no difference in loading time if the file is being
> reloaded.

Do other applications load slowly too on your system?

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:39:43 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Hi Herfried,

No. Other applications are fine.  This is the first .Net
application on the computer.

Thanks.

Hugh

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:52:44 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Can you post the code in your form load event?

Russ

Quote:
> Hi Herfried,

> No. Other applications are fine.  This is the first .Net
> application on the computer.

> Thanks.

> Hugh

---

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:26:46 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Private ds As DataSet
    Private dt As DataTable

    Dim strRemainString As String    'Source-plate  information striped
from the file
    Dim sFileLines() As String      'Source-plate file splited into
lines
    Dim tvRootNode, tvNode As TreeNode
    Dim sChar As Microsoft.VisualBasic.ControlChars
    Dim sPath As String

    Dim iCounter As Integer = 1     'Keep track # of worksheets saved
onto the workbook
    Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
    Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook
    Dim xlSheet As Excel.Worksheet

Sub InitGrid()
        ds = New DataSet()
        dt = New DataTable("Plate")
        ds.Tables.Add(dt)
        CreateColumnNames()

        Dim dr As DataRow
        Dim i, j As Integer
        Dim aArray() As String = {"96","A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F",
"G", "H"}
        For i = 0 To 8
            dr = dt.NewRow()
            dr(0) = aArray(i)
            If i = 0 Then
                For j = 1 To 12
                    dr(j) = j
                Next
            End If
            dt.Rows.Add(dr)
        Next
        C1TrueDBGrid1.DataSource = dt
        FormatGrid()
    End Sub

    Sub CreateColumnNames()
        Dim i As Integer
        With dt.Columns
            For i = 0 To 12
                .Add(i.ToString, GetType(String))
            Next
        End With
    End Sub

    Sub FormatGrid()
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim fntFont As Font
        With C1TrueDBGrid1
            .Caption = "BioMek File Datagrid"
            .RowHeight = 25
            fntFont = New Font("Microsoft Sans Serif", 10)
            .Style.Font = fntFont
        End With
        With C1TrueDBGrid1.Splits(0)
            .ColumnCaptionHeight = 25
            For i = 0 To 12
                .DisplayColumns(i).DataColumn.Caption = ""
                .DisplayColumns(i).Width = 50
            Next
        End With
    End Sub

    Private Sub MainForm_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) _
                            Handles MyBase.Load

        '-------------------Set Button
status-----------------------------
        mnuItemRemove.Enabled = False
        mnuItemSave.Enabled = False
        mnuItemPrint.Enabled = False

        '------------------Initilaze
DataGrid-----------------------------

        InitGrid()

    End Sub

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:19:03 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Hi Russ,

Following is the code in form-load event.  Thanks for help.
I hit a space key when I was editing the message and the message was
posted. sorry for the confusion.  This is a clear code than the first
one.

Hugh

[...]

Does this application load slowly on other machines?

Russ

Quote:
> Hi Russ,

> Following is the code in form-load event.  Thanks for help.
> I hit a space key when I was editing the message and the message was
> posted. sorry for the confusion.  This is a clear code than the first
> one.

> Hugh

> Private Sub MainForm_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

>    '-------------------Set Button status----------
>    mnuItemRemove.Enabled = False
>    mnuItemSave.Enabled = False
>    mnuItemPrint.Enabled = False

>    '------------------Initilaze DataGrid---------
>    InitGrid()

> End Sub

> Sub InitGrid()
>     ds = New DataSet()
>     dt = New DataTable("Plate")
>     ds.Tables.Add(dt)
>     CreateColumnNames()

>     Dim dr As DataRow
>     Dim i, j As Integer
>     Dim aArray() As String = {"96","A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G",
> "H"}
>     For i = 0 To 8
>        dr = dt.NewRow()
>        dr(0) = aArray(i)
>        If i = 0 Then
>           For j = 1 To 12
>                dr(j) = j
>           Next
>        End If
>        dt.Rows.Add(dr)
>     Next
>     C1TrueDBGrid1.DataSource = dt
>     FormatGrid()
> End Sub

> Sub CreateColumnNames()
>     Dim i As Integer
>     With dt.Column
>     For i = 0 To 12
>         .Add(i.ToString, GetType(String))
>     Next
>     End With
> End Sub

> Sub FormatGrid()
>    Dim i As Integer
>    Dim fntFont As Font
>    with C1TrueDBGrid1
>        .Caption = "BioMek File Datagrid"
>        .RowHeight = 25
>        fntFont = New Font("Microsoft Sans Serif", 10)
>        .Style.Font = fntFont
>    End With
>    With C1TrueDBGrid1.Splits(0)
>        .ColumnCaptionHeight = 25
>        For i = 0 To 12
>           .DisplayColumns(i).DataColumn.Caption = ""
>           .DisplayColumns(i).Width = 50
>        Next
> End With
> End Sub

---

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:37:46 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Hi Russ,

The loading is prety fast in my machine that has VB.net environment and
another machine that does not have VB.Net environment but it is the
computer used to debug.

My guess is that application is looking for some components
during loading process and that were not installed onto the
computer. Net.framework was installed from microsoft website. The
computer is runing on Windows 2000.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:20:50 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
well any components are in the .net framework, that's the point of it.
There's nothing in the code that would slow it down loading. if you want to
give yourself peace of mind about the relationship between speed of load and
having visual studio installed then install vs. on your debug machine and
text it. Is there a big difference in processors, RAM etc between the
machines? This is obvious really but is you debug machine badly fragmented?
That can have a huge difference.

You could send me the exe and I'll time the load on my machine for you if
you like. I would want to determine if the slowness is hardware related
before messing with my code.

Russ

Quote:
> Hi Russ,

> The loading is prety fast in my machine that has VB.net environment and
> another machine that does not have VB.Net environment but it is the
> computer used to debug.

> My guess is that application is looking for some components
> during loading process and that were not installed onto the
> computer. Net.framework was installed from microsoft website. The
> computer is runing on Windows 2000.

> Thanks again.

> Hugh

---

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 03:42:59 GMT
 slow loading of .exe file
Hi Russ,

I will run Defragmentation utility on the target machine
and to see if it makes difference.  I am not sure if you
can run my .exe file since it needs TrueDBGrid dlls from
ComponentOne.  Of cause, I can sent you installation
package that would include dlls.  I need to know your email
address since I can not attach file to this news group.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:22:05 GMT

1. Slow loading of VB .Net exe file

2. Load A new Version of an Exe File From the same Exe file

3. Load A new Version of an Exe File From the same Exe file

4. Slow help file load time in VB5

5. HELP!! New user cannot load EXE file

6. Picture box : loading bitmaps into exe files

8. Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

9. VB4 is slow..slow....slow

10. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

11. Database Loads slow

12. Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing