Advice on saving array of users preferences
Author Message
 Advice on saving array of users preferences

I have an array of user preferences, and would like to be
able to save them to a file.

Which is the most advisable solution to do this, use
basic file I/O or streamreader functions?

I was going to just stick with the basic File I/O
commands, unless there is a compelling reason to use
streaming.

Thanks,

Ross

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:11:50 GMT
 Advice on saving array of users preferences

Quote:
> I have an array of user preferences, and would like to be
> able to save them to a file.

> Which is the most advisable solution to do this, use
> basic file I/O or streamreader functions?

> I was going to just stick with the basic File I/O
> commands, unless there is a compelling reason to use
> streaming.

> Thanks,

> Ross

How large is the array?  Have you considered just using the registry?

---
VBnet4Apps
http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:56:58 GMT
 Advice on saving array of users preferences
The array is 12 by 5 by 5 of character type.

I do not want to save it to the registry because I expect
people to want to take it with them or share the
settings.  They are more like task customization than
personal information.

Ross

Quote:

>How large is the array?  Have you considered just using
the registry?

>---
>VBnet4Apps
>http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps

>.

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:58:18 GMT
 Advice on saving array of users preferences
Why not use an XML document. Sounds like you have some hierarchical data.
There are some nice things you can do with XML, plus it leaves it in text
format, and even looks a little better than just text once you get used to
looking at it

Quote:
> The array is 12 by 5 by 5 of character type.

> I do not want to save it to the registry because I expect
> people to want to take it with them or share the
> settings.  They are more like task customization than
> personal information.

> Ross

> >How large is the array?  Have you considered just using
> the registry?

> >---
> >VBnet4Apps
> >http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps

> >.

Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:20:57 GMT

1. Use of app.config and saving user preferences...

2. Saving user preferences

3. Saving Preferences

4. Saving Preferences in .INI

5. User Preferences located in a seperate file

6. User Preferences

7. managing user preferences...opinions needed

8. Default User Preferences

9. Saving user defined array to propertybag -- HOW ??

10. Saved = false after user has saved document

11. Advice on looping through a set of arrays please

12. structure array advice