Beginners ADO.NET Question
Author Message
 Beginners ADO.NET Question

I have found code samples and the like on the net that
allow one to build a simple form and access a database.
In almost all cases so far, references are made to having
SQL Server up and running.  Question is, does Visual
Basic.NET come bundled with SQL Server?  My guess is no.
Given that, does anyone have an example of connecting and
reading data from an Access database through a simple
Windows Form.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:28:46 GMT
 Beginners ADO.NET Question
.net standard and .net professional do not come with sql server.  i think
architect version comes with sql server (for testing only, you aren't
allowed to deploy a sql solution using the sql server it comes with).

i don't have a quick example, plus i use oledb for connections to an access
db.

jeff

Quote:
> I have found code samples and the like on the net that
> allow one to build a simple form and access a database.
> In almost all cases so far, references are made to having
> SQL Server up and running.  Question is, does Visual
> Basic.NET come bundled with SQL Server?  My guess is no.
> Given that, does anyone have an example of connecting and
> reading data from an Access database through a simple
> Windows Form.

> Thanks in advance,
> Tom

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:32:50 GMT
 Beginners ADO.NET Question
Tom,

        VB.Net comes with MSDE which is a free version of SQL server. It is
in  program files\microsoft visual studio .net\setup\msde.

Ken
--------------------

Quote:
> I have found code samples and the like on the net that
> allow one to build a simple form and access a database.
> In almost all cases so far, references are made to having
> SQL Server up and running.  Question is, does Visual
> Basic.NET come bundled with SQL Server?  My guess is no.
> Given that, does anyone have an example of connecting and
> reading data from an Access database through a simple
> Windows Form.

> Thanks in advance,
> Tom

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:48:33 GMT
 Beginners ADO.NET Question
Thanks, that's bit about OLEDB gives me a starting point!

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:50:30 GMT
 Beginners ADO.NET Question
You can download a trial version of SQL server here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=D20BA6E1-F44...

Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:57:32 GMT

1. vb.net / ado.net design question

2. Newbie question (ado.net / vb.net)

3. Beginner's Question About ScrollBars in VB .NET

4. Beginner question about MS Office objects and VB .NET

5. VB.NET PRINTING beginner questions

6. ADO/ADO.NET to Access db question

7. Beginners questions regarding ADO 2.0

8. Beginner question: ADO recordsets

9. Beginner's Question DAO/ADO

10. Simple Beginners ADO Question: Slow Updates?

11. beginner question bout ado object and scope

12. Beginner ADO Question