Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Author Message
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET

Hi,

Anyone here knows how to communicate with a barcode scanner using VB .NET?

Thanks.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:31:49 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
What type of Scanner???  Most scanners can link with the keyboard and no
need for special interfacing with VB.

Alex

Quote:
> Hi,

> Anyone here knows how to communicate with a barcode scanner using VB .NET?

> Thanks.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:49:58 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Hi,

You do it the same way as earlier versions of VB.  If the scanner uses a
keyboard wedge, then there is nothing special required.  The scans are sent
as keystrokes and go to whatever window has focus.

If the scanner uses a serial connection (which is what I would suggest for
heavy-duty applications), then you can use MSComm or download NETComm.ocx
from my homepage.  I have two barcode reader examples in my book (see
below), and porting these to VB.NET is straight forward.

Dick

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:32:51 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
I'm designing a Windows Form with multiple field to receive the data from a
barcode scanner. I want the form to choose the correct field to receive the
data depending on the data receive.

Let say, I have 2 fields. One to receive ID number and another is Product
number. The ID number starts with "222" while the Product number starts with
"212". When using the barcode scanner to receive the data, I want the form
to automatically choose the correct field.

If this is the case, which type of barcode scanner should I buy? The one
that uses a keyboard wedge or serial connection?

Thanks.

Quote:
> Hi,

> You do it the same way as earlier versions of VB.  If the scanner uses a
> keyboard wedge, then there is nothing special required.  The scans are
sent
> as keystrokes and go to whatever window has focus.

> If the scanner uses a serial connection (which is what I would suggest for
> heavy-duty applications), then you can use MSComm or download NETComm.ocx
> from my homepage.  I have two barcode reader examples in my book (see
> below), and porting these to VB.NET is straight forward.

>{*filter*}

> --
> Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

> See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:01:18 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Hi,

Yes, for this sort of thing you need a serial barcode scanner, IMO.  There
are a number of these availible.  I like the scanners from Keyence
(http://www.keyence.com/).  They are reliable, fairly inexpensive, and easy
to use.

Writing code to parse the barcode itself would be straight-forward.  By
that, I mean comparatively easy, not non-trivial.  A few hours of work, I'd
guess.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 03:04:58 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Dick:  What about getting scanned into into PDA's?  Are there any PDA's that
have a scanner built in that also run the standard PDA operating systems?

Thanks,
Glenn

Quote:
> Hi,

> You do it the same way as earlier versions of VB.  If the scanner uses a
> keyboard wedge, then there is nothing special required.  The scans are
sent
> as keystrokes and go to whatever window has focus.

> If the scanner uses a serial connection (which is what I would suggest for
> heavy-duty applications), then you can use MSComm or download NETComm.ocx
> from my homepage.  I have two barcode reader examples in my book (see
> below), and porting these to VB.NET is straight forward.

>{*filter*}

> --
> Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

> See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:57:00 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Hi,

Yes, there are scanners for PDAs.  A search on google.com came up with some
hits.  I haven't used any.  My inclination would be to use the same code as
VB.other (equivalent would be a better term) -- and use a standard serial
port scanner.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:15:28 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Yes

Symbol makes a couple of Palm-based devices with built in scanners. Also,
Handspring has a plug-in module into their devices that are bar code
scanners.
I don't know about CE devices.

Quote:
>{*filter*}:  What about getting scanned into into PDA's?  Are there any PDA's
that
> have a scanner built in that also run the standard PDA operating systems?

> Thanks,
> Glenn

> > Hi,

> > You do it the same way as earlier versions of VB.  If the scanner uses a
> > keyboard wedge, then there is nothing special required.  The scans are
> sent
> > as keystrokes and go to whatever window has focus.

> > If the scanner uses a serial connection (which is what I would suggest
for
> > heavy-duty applications), then you can use MSComm or download
NETComm.ocx
> > from my homepage.  I have two barcode reader examples in my book (see
> > below), and porting these to VB.NET is straight forward.

> >{*filter*}

> > --
> > Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

> > See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

> > Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
> > Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:31:51 GMT
 Barcode Scanner and VB .NET
Hi again.

I had a look at the site and they offer bar code readers for coorporate use.
I'm looking for hand held bar code reader. It will be use in my school
library.

Thanks.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Yes, for this sort of thing you need a serial barcode scanner, IMO.  There
> are a number of these availible.  I like the scanners from Keyence
> (http://www.keyence.com/).  They are reliable, fairly inexpensive, and
easy
> to use.

> Writing code to parse the barcode itself would be straight-forward.  By
> that, I mean comparatively easy, not non-trivial.  A few hours of work,
I'd
> guess.

> --
> Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

> See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:35:40 GMT

1. vb.net and barcode scanners

2. Newbie Q: Using a barcode scanner with VB

3. Barcode-Scanner under VB

4. Barcode Scanners under VB

5. Programming Barcode Scanners in VB

6. BarCode Scanner and VB

7. Using barcode scanner with Access

8. barcode scanner in USB port

9. How to read Barcode Scanner??

10. RF Barcode Scanner /w Visual Studio?

11. ASP with barcode scanner

12. Barcode scanners