How far can System.Reflection take you?
Author Message
 How far can System.Reflection take you?

Support I wanted to build a program that could sense information about the
computer it's running on.  Version of Windows, Version of IE, Office if it's
installed....how much RAM, etc.  Would I use System.Reflection for this or
do I have to use something entirely different?

Any thoughts or pointers are really appreciated.

--
Stephajn Craig

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 06:58:59 GMT
 How far can System.Reflection take you?

Quote:

> Support I wanted to build a program that could sense information about the
> computer it's running on.  Version of Windows, Version of IE, Office if
it's
> installed....how much RAM, etc.  Would I use System.Reflection for this or
> do I have to use something entirely different?

> Any thoughts or pointers are really appreciated.

I haven't tried System.Reflection yet. But you can try WMI.
With Windows Management Instructions, you can get everything you want.
There are samples available in this group.

Marc

Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:16:06 GMT
 How far can System.Reflection take you?
Check out the System.Environment namespace.  I believe this already "senses"
the information you are talking about.

System.Environment.UserName, MachineName, OSVersion etc.

Quote:
> Support I wanted to build a program that could sense information about the
> computer it's running on.  Version of Windows, Version of IE, Office if
it's
> installed....how much RAM, etc.  Would I use System.Reflection for this or
> do I have to use something entirely different?

> Any thoughts or pointers are really appreciated.

> --
> Stephajn Craig

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:50:34 GMT
 How far can System.Reflection take you?
Looking deeper into WMI, I found out that MS provided a managed way of
accessing WMI API's using the system.Management namespace.  Also, they
provided an add-in for the VS.NET Server Explorer that would allow you to
access WMI based information about a computer.  Dragging and dropping a
computer out of this server explorer created some kind of object on my
Windows Form that allowed me to see all kinds of information about the
computer I had dragged and dropped onto my Windows Form, including the
manufacturer and even the serial number of the thing!

VERY NICE!

But now I'm wondering, how would I go about finding all of the computers on
a network and then adding them into a collection that I could enumerate
through?

Has anyone worked with this System.Management namespace and done some stuff
with it?

--
Stephajn Craig

Quote:

> > Support I wanted to build a program that could sense information about
the
> > computer it's running on.  Version of Windows, Version of IE, Office if
> it's
> > installed....how much RAM, etc.  Would I use System.Reflection for this
or
> > do I have to use something entirely different?

> > Any thoughts or pointers are really appreciated.

> I haven't tried System.Reflection yet. But you can try WMI.
> With Windows Management Instructions, you can get everything you want.
> There are samples available in this group.

> Marc

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:12:19 GMT
 How far can System.Reflection take you?
Hello,

Quote:
> Has anyone worked with this System.Management
> namespace and done some stuff with it?

Documentation of WMI classes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmis...

Planet Source Code has some samples on WMI:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z2FA11154

Have a look at the "WMI Crawler" sample written in C# (it's a great
sample).

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:31:59 GMT
 How far can System.Reflection take you?

Quote:

> Support I wanted to build a program that could sense information about the
> computer it's running on.  Version of Windows, Version of IE, Office if it's
> installed....how much RAM, etc.  Would I use System.Reflection for this or
> do I have to use something entirely different?

> Any thoughts or pointers are really appreciated.

Other posts have answered you question with regard to what you want, but, just
to be complete:

System.Reflection is about analysing (and creating) .NET code and objects.

The closest it comes to what you're looking for is that you could use it to
identify the version of a .NET assembly that did not provide a simple way to
access this information.

Regards,
Mark Hurd, B.Sc.(Ma.) (Hons.)

Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:51:27 GMT

1. Release a reference from System.Reflection

2. System.Reflection.Emit

3. documentation- attributes and the system.reflection object

4. It it possible to register an event using the System.Reflection

5. VB2008: Getting the System.Reflection.PropertyInfo from within a class property

6. execute code from a database far, far away?

7. VB.Net Taking over Operating System

8. notes taking systems? Where/how

9. VB.Net Taking over Operating System

10. How do I create a canned form?

11. Canned AcctReceivable Module needed!

12. Canned pages....