error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net
Author Message
 error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net

I have upgraded my VB 6 project in VB.NET.
I have used MSXML object in VB 6 project and when I converted it to VB.NET,
it added a dll Interop.MSXML.dll in bin directory of the project.
Since, I was not able to register this dll in Component Services I Imported
System.EnterpriseServices in AssemblyInfo.vb file of my project. So, now it
is giving me error at compile time - "Unable to emit assembly: Referenced
assembly 'Interop.MSXML' does not have a strong name".
I want solution for this error !!!
Can anyone help???

Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:59:19 GMT
 error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net
Hi Janhavi,

As the message indicates, the assembly needs a strong name. It is because
in order to be registered in COM+, the assembly and its referenced
assemblies need to be strongly-named.

Open the project properties dialog and navigate to Common Properties,
General. There you'll find two options, Wrapper Assembly Key File and
Wraper Assembly Key Name, where you can enter the path to a key pair file
or the name of a key container. From there on, the interop
assembly for any COM component you reference will be given a strong name.
Existing references will not be changed, so you might have to delete the
reference and add it again.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------

| Subject: error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net
| Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:29:19 +0530

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
|
| I have upgraded my VB 6 project in VB.NET.
| I have used MSXML object in VB 6 project and when I converted it to
VB.NET,
| it added a dll Interop.MSXML.dll in bin directory of the project.
| Since, I was not able to register this dll in Component Services I
Imported
| System.EnterpriseServices in AssemblyInfo.vb file of my project. So, now
it
| is giving me error at compile time - "Unable to emit assembly: Referenced
| assembly 'Interop.MSXML' does not have a strong name".
| I want solution for this error !!!
| Can anyone help???

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:10:09 GMT
 error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net
In project properties dialog -> Common Properties ->
General, I could not find Wrapper Assembly Key File and
Wraper Assembly Key Name options. So I could not try your option. Please
let me know whether I need to install any patch or service pack for VS
net. Is there any other solution for this?

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:07:13 GMT
 error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net
Hi Janhavi,

The options are in C# projects. To sign the assembly with strong name, use
'sn' to generate keyfile and use 'al.exe' with /keyfile switch to sign the
assembly.

Regards,

Bill Cheng
Microsoft Support Engineer
--------------------

| Subject: RE: error in upgrading VB6 DLL to VB.net

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
| Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:07:13 -0700
|
| In project properties dialog -> Common Properties ->
| General, I could not find Wrapper Assembly Key File and
| Wraper Assembly Key Name options. So I could not try your option. Please
| let me know whether I need to install any patch or service pack for VS
| .net. Is there any other solution for this?
|

| *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
| Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:50:07 GMT

1. ANN: VB6 to VB.NET Upgrade Samples

2. HLP: VB6 upgrading to VB.net (a plea)

3. vb6 -> vb.net upgrade problem

4. .NET VB Wizard hangs upgrading VB6 project

5. Upgrade codes from VB6 to VB.NET on MSDN KB

6. Upgrade from VB6 to VB.net

7. Custom Upgrading from VB6->VB.NET

8. Upgrade question re: VB6 to VB.Net

9. vb.Net dll dll in vb6

10. vb6 dll to VB.NET dll

11. Upgrade from Visual Basic 6 webclasses to VB.NET/ASP.NET

12. debugging vb.net upgraded component in asp.net