change Assembly version 
Author Message
 change Assembly version

Hi,

So far I've had no problems generating a new assembly version because the
compiler always generated it when I made a build.
I use <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.02.*")>. So far I always made some major
changes to code before I made a new release but now I have made a small
change to my
code and the assembly version doesn't change. Why doesn't the assembly
version change?

How much code change should I make before the compiler automatically changes
the assembly version or How can I force the assembly version to
change/auto-increment by the compiler. Can someone explain how this works.

thanks
Sumesh



Mon, 30 May 2005 18:10:17 GMT  
 change Assembly version
Hi, Sumesh.
Version numbers for assemblies are built in 4 parts:
"major.minor.build.revision".
When you set the AssemblyVersion to "x.y.*", you are
setting the "major" and "minor" numbers, while "build"
and "revision" numbers are generated automatically this
way:
- "build" is set to the number of days from 1/1/2000;
- "revision" is set to the number of seconds from midnight
divided by 2.
This ensures a new "quartet" when you build your assembly,
even if more times in the same days. Of course, if you
compile 2 times in two seconds, I'll have the same quartet!

Example: I compiled an assembly "1.0.*" now (near 3:09PM
of 12/12/2002), obtaining this version number (seen with
ILDASM.EXE):   1:0:1076:27257.
Well, you can see:
- "1", my major number, fixed;
- "0", my minor number, fixed;
- "1076", that are 2 years + 346 days (today is 20 days to
1st of january 2003!);
- "27257", that (multiplied by 2 and divided by 3600)
equals to 15 hours, 8 minutes and 34 secs.

Please, keep in mind that two shared assemblies are
considered "compatible" by the CLR if they have the
same "major.minor" couple.
About this, see also:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
url=/library/en-us/dnvbdev01/html/vb01g10.asp

I hope this helps!
AV

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>So far I've had no problems generating a new assembly
version because the
>compiler always generated it when I made a build.
>I use <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.02.*")>. So far I

always made some major
Quote:
>changes to code before I made a new release but now I
have made a small
>change to my
>code and the assembly version doesn't change. Why doesn't
the assembly
>version change?

>How much code change should I make before the compiler

automatically changes
Quote:
>the assembly version or How can I force the assembly
version to
>change/auto-increment by the compiler. Can someone

explain how this works.
Quote:

>thanks
>Sumesh

>.



Mon, 30 May 2005 22:23:22 GMT  
 change Assembly version
Hi Alberto
That was very helpful indeed but the problem I have is that if I make some
small code changes and rebuild my assemblies, the assembly version doesn't
change but on the other hand if I made major code changes and rebuilt the
assemblies, the build and revision numbers change. Now I am not sure whether
this is related to the amount of code changes I make or not. So far from my
analysis the build and revision numbers change only when I make major code
changes.

From what you have explained it doesn't seem to be linked to the amount of
code changes one makes but rather to the time of the build but if I just
can't seem to get it to work. I have just made a build to my assemblies but
the revision number doesn't change.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Any ideas, thoughts or
suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Sumesh


Quote:
> Hi, Sumesh.
> Version numbers for assemblies are built in 4 parts:
> "major.minor.build.revision".
> When you set the AssemblyVersion to "x.y.*", you are
> setting the "major" and "minor" numbers, while "build"
> and "revision" numbers are generated automatically this
> way:
> - "build" is set to the number of days from 1/1/2000;
> - "revision" is set to the number of seconds from midnight
> divided by 2.
> This ensures a new "quartet" when you build your assembly,
> even if more times in the same days. Of course, if you
> compile 2 times in two seconds, I'll have the same quartet!

> Example: I compiled an assembly "1.0.*" now (near 3:09PM
> of 12/12/2002), obtaining this version number (seen with
> ILDASM.EXE):   1:0:1076:27257.
> Well, you can see:
> - "1", my major number, fixed;
> - "0", my minor number, fixed;
> - "1076", that are 2 years + 346 days (today is 20 days to
> 1st of january 2003!);
> - "27257", that (multiplied by 2 and divided by 3600)
> equals to 15 hours, 8 minutes and 34 secs.

> Please, keep in mind that two shared assemblies are
> considered "compatible" by the CLR if they have the
> same "major.minor" couple.
> About this, see also:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
> url=/library/en-us/dnvbdev01/html/vb01g10.asp

> I hope this helps!
> AV

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Hi,

> >So far I've had no problems generating a new assembly
> version because the
> >compiler always generated it when I made a build.
> >I use <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.02.*")>. So far I
> always made some major
> >changes to code before I made a new release but now I
> have made a small
> >change to my
> >code and the assembly version doesn't change. Why doesn't
> the assembly
> >version change?

> >How much code change should I make before the compiler
> automatically changes
> >the assembly version or How can I force the assembly
> version to
> >change/auto-increment by the compiler. Can someone
> explain how this works.

> >thanks
> >Sumesh

> >.



Mon, 30 May 2005 22:58:19 GMT  
 change Assembly version
Try to rebuild the project, not only built it...
Right click the project or the solution and click Rebuild (not Build)...

Greets
Patrick

Quote:

> Hi Alberto
> That was very helpful indeed but the problem I have is that if I make some
> small code changes and rebuild my assemblies, the assembly version doesn't
> change but on the other hand if I made major code changes and rebuilt the
> assemblies, the build and revision numbers change. Now I am not sure whether
> this is related to the amount of code changes I make or not. So far from my
> analysis the build and revision numbers change only when I make major code
> changes.

> From what you have explained it doesn't seem to be linked to the amount of
> code changes one makes but rather to the time of the build but if I just
> can't seem to get it to work. I have just made a build to my assemblies but
> the revision number doesn't change.

> I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Any ideas, thoughts or
> suggestions.

> Thanks in advance.
> Sumesh



> > Hi, Sumesh.
> > Version numbers for assemblies are built in 4 parts:
> > "major.minor.build.revision".
> > When you set the AssemblyVersion to "x.y.*", you are
> > setting the "major" and "minor" numbers, while "build"
> > and "revision" numbers are generated automatically this
> > way:
> > - "build" is set to the number of days from 1/1/2000;
> > - "revision" is set to the number of seconds from midnight
> > divided by 2.
> > This ensures a new "quartet" when you build your assembly,
> > even if more times in the same days. Of course, if you
> > compile 2 times in two seconds, I'll have the same quartet!

> > Example: I compiled an assembly "1.0.*" now (near 3:09PM
> > of 12/12/2002), obtaining this version number (seen with
> > ILDASM.EXE):   1:0:1076:27257.
> > Well, you can see:
> > - "1", my major number, fixed;
> > - "0", my minor number, fixed;
> > - "1076", that are 2 years + 346 days (today is 20 days to
> > 1st of january 2003!);
> > - "27257", that (multiplied by 2 and divided by 3600)
> > equals to 15 hours, 8 minutes and 34 secs.

> > Please, keep in mind that two shared assemblies are
> > considered "compatible" by the CLR if they have the
> > same "major.minor" couple.
> > About this, see also:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
> > url=/library/en-us/dnvbdev01/html/vb01g10.asp

> > I hope this helps!
> > AV

> > >-----Original Message-----
> > >Hi,

> > >So far I've had no problems generating a new assembly
>  version because the
> > >compiler always generated it when I made a build.
> > >I use <Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.02.*")>. So far I
>  always made some major
> > >changes to code before I made a new release but now I
>  have made a small
> > >change to my
> > >code and the assembly version doesn't change. Why doesn't
>  the assembly
> > >version change?

> > >How much code change should I make before the compiler
>  automatically changes
> > >the assembly version or How can I force the assembly
>  version to
> > >change/auto-increment by the compiler. Can someone
>  explain how this works.

> > >thanks
> > >Sumesh

> > >.



Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:43:08 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Assembly Version Queston

2. Reflection assembly version recognition...

3. Forcing Correct Assembly Version

4. Assembly Version Number into Label..

5. Simple Question: Executing Assembly Version Information

6. Assembly Version

7. Assembly and Global Assembly Cache

8. Changed Outlook Version Causes Code to Fail

9. Changing datecreated or version using DSOFile?

10. question about syntax changes from version 6

11. Changing DAO version

12. Version change in Jet Engine

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software