Conversion of VB.Net App to ASP .Net App
Author Message
 Conversion of VB.Net App to ASP .Net App

Hi,
  Is it possible to convert a Windows application which is
developed in Visual Basic 6.0 to a Web application
(ASP .Net application) if I upgrade it to Visual
Basic .Net. in Visual Studio 6.0 the only option is to
redevelop the Web Interface of the Application starting
from the scratch. Which is very tedious and time
consuming.
My project is a standard EXE with VB Forms, Class modules
and standard modules. I am using some third party controls
also in my project.
Please guide me
Raseena

Mon, 17 May 2004 18:30:28 GMT
 Conversion of VB.Net App to ASP .Net App

Quote:
> Hi,
>   Is it possible to convert a Windows application which is
> developed in Visual Basic 6.0 to a Web application
> (ASP .Net application) if I upgrade it to Visual
> Basic .Net. in Visual Studio 6.0 the only option is to
> redevelop the Web Interface of the Application starting
> from the scratch. Which is very tedious and time
> consuming.

Here's a good start:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/technical/upgrade/guide.asp

But, in general, you'll have a lot of redesigning to do anyway since
you're moving from a windows interface to a web interface.  Even if you
weren't switching to .NET, you'd have a decent amount of coding to do.

However, the ASP.NET programming model resembles the classic windows
forms programming model much more closely than ASP.

--
Patrick Steele
Microsoft .NET MVP

Tue, 18 May 2004 01:42:10 GMT
 Conversion of VB.Net App to ASP .Net App
Thanx,
  Please tell me the steps required to convert my VB .Net
project to ASP.Net. Or where can I find the related
information. I just want to avoid redeveloping the ASP.Net
application from scratch. I've the complete application
ready in VB 6.0 which I plan to upgrade to VB .Net. A
little bit of extra coding I can afford if there is any
convertion tool.
In Visual Basic 6.0 there is a Tool ActiveX Document
Migration Wizard using which Visual Basic forms can be
converted to ActiveX Document files (User Documents). Is
there any similer tools in VB .Net.

Regards

Raseena

Sat, 22 May 2004 13:51:24 GMT
 Conversion of VB.Net App to ASP .Net App

Quote:
> I just want to avoid redeveloping the ASP.Net
> application from scratch. I've the complete application
> ready in VB 6.0 which I plan to upgrade to VB .Net. A
> little bit of extra coding I can afford if there is any
> convertion tool.

VS.NET supports a code migration wizard to upgrade your code from VB6 to
VB.NET.  However, it does not do a 100% conversion.  There's too many
differences between VB6 and VB.NET to get everything migrated.

Quote:
> In Visual Basic 6.0 there is a Tool ActiveX Document
> Migration Wizard using which Visual Basic forms can be
> converted to ActiveX Document files (User Documents). Is
> there any similer tools in VB .Net.

I don't think so.  .NET doesn't support ActiveX documents.

--
Patrick Steele
Microsoft .NET MVP

Mon, 24 May 2004 02:47:57 GMT

1. ASP.NET App v. VB.NET App

2. VB.Net Localhost for ASP.Net app?

3. Crystal Rpts and VB.NET/ASP.NET App ?

4. Common objects between windows app and asp.net app

5. Accessing vb.net class from non.vb.net apps

6. VB.NET DLL's With A VB.NET App

7. .NET Configuration/ VB.NET app help

8. My Vb.Net Apps will not run on other machine's with .Net Framework installed

9. VB.NET app does not run on OS having .NET redistributable files installed

10. ? vb asp.net web app

11. faking asp object context from vb.net app to vb6 dll

12. faking asp object context from vb.net app to vb6 dll