OLE DB .NET Data Provider - Connection object
Author Message
 OLE DB .NET Data Provider - Connection object

Sorry if this is multi-posted. Im trying to remove the .dotnet.general copy!

Subject:  OLE DB .NET Data Provider - Connection object
Date: 23 October 2001 16:14

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Im trying to beat the new "OLE DB .NET Data Provider" into forming a
connection
with our proprietry database though our existing (and studio 6 friendly) OLE
DB provider.
My understanding is i use this new 'generic' provider to talk to my provider
and work out
a connection between them. Im trying to follow the example set in Wrox's
"VB.Net Programming
with the public beta" as follows:

        dim cConnectionString As String = _
        "provider=OUR TOP OLE DB Provider;User ID=ourUname;Password=OurPass"
        Dim Myconnection As New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(sConnectionString)
        Myconnection.Open()

But to no avail. It seems that the only property that the connection object
gets from the connnection string
is provider. I know this because of the log file our OLE-DB provider
generates (and obviously the fact that
it is being generated at all means that the provider was recognised).
According to our log files the User ID and Password never get set.

Any idea's on why this is so.

I am using Beta 2 .Net on win2000.

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:26:24 GMT
 OLE DB .NET Data Provider - Connection object
Currently, The OLE DB .NET Data Provider does not support OLE DB 2.5
interfaces and there are only three OLE DB Provider compatible with ADO.NET:
SQLOLEDB Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
MSDAORA Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle
Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 OLE DB Provider for Microsoft Jet
Please reference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguidnf/html/cpconadonetprov...
sp for more information.

You may also want to implement a new .NET data provider, please reference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguidnf/html/cpconimplementi...
taprovider.asp for more information.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Robin Shen
Microsoft Support

You assume all risk for your use. Copy right, 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:14:37 GMT

1. Connection with OLE DB Jet 3.51 Provider

2. merant ole db provider / Connection disconnect event

3. Problem filling DataSet with MS Remote OLE DB Provider [VB.NET]

4. OLE DB Session Object missing - not with SQL Provider

5. Data Environment/Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider problem

6. OLE DB Provider for Oracle problem in Data Environment

7. ole db provider,data control error

8. ODBC provider vs MS SQL provider (OLE DB)

9. Needed: List of available OLE DB data providers

10. ole db provider,data control error

11. Refreshing data ... OLE DB Jet Provider

12. Create Jet 3.5x DB with OLE DB Provider 4.0