block & documentation comments
Author Message
 block & documentation comments

After doing a couple of searches on deja to find out how block commenting is
done in VB.Net I have come to the conclusion that it still isn't possible.
This seems like something that almost every language has, why can't we get
it in VB?  Second thing that is a major bummer is the lack of documentation
comments in VB.Net.  We can do it in C# with :

///<summary>
///summary description
///</summary>
///<remarks>
///This is a test.
///</remarks>

Why can't we get an equivalent in VB.Net that would look something like:

'''<summary>
'''summary description
'''</summary>
'''<remarks>
'''This is a test.
'''</remarks>

Does anyone know if there is any chance we'll get block commenting or
documentation comments in the final release of VB.Net?  If not do we know if
there are any plans to add these things down the line in a service pack?  Of
course both of these are "little things" that would be nice in the language
but its the little things that matter.

- Steve

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:31:31 GMT
 block & documentation comments
Steve,

Quote:
>Does anyone know if there is any chance we'll get block commenting or
>documentation comments in the final release of VB.Net?

Probably not, it's way to late to implement that now. But keep asking
for it for the next release.

Quote:
>If not do we know if
>there are any plans to add these things down the line in a service pack?

MSFT's policy on Service Packs these days seems to be to only fix
bugs, not add new features. So that doesn't seem very likely either.

Mattias

====================================

http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/

CodeHound - The Software Developer's Search Engine
http://www.codehound.com

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:57:32 GMT
 block & documentation comments
You would think that Microsoft would have realized that these where things
developers would want in all .Net languages (documentation comments) and all
languages (block comments).   Oh well hopefully it will make it into a
future realease!

Quote:
> Steve,

> >Does anyone know if there is any chance we'll get block commenting or
> >documentation comments in the final release of VB.Net?

> Probably not, it's way to late to implement that now. But keep asking
> for it for the next release.

> >If not do we know if
> >there are any plans to add these things down the line in a service pack?

> MSFT's policy on Service Packs these days seems to be to only fix
> bugs, not add new features. So that doesn't seem very likely either.

> Mattias

> ====================================

> http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/

> CodeHound - The Software Developer's Search Engine
> http://www.codehound.com

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:41:24 GMT
 block & documentation comments
Steve,

I expect to see at least doccing in the _final_ release of VS.Net, but not
in the _initial_ release. We are still talking about version 1.0 here. I
expect 2.0 to have some fun features, including hopefully in line
documentation (although I can certainly do without XML for this feature).

Mattias already answered the question you meant to ask. Do not expect to see
it in 1.0 RTM.

--
Kathleen
(MS-MVP)

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:30:28 GMT

1. Block comment/uncomment and Block tab

2. Commenting - How to comment blocks of text

3. block comment in access 97 toolbar

4. Block Comments??

5. Comment Block in Interdev

6. Adding Comment Blocks To GIF and JPEG files.

7. Comment blocks

8. VB5 Addin to create procedures with error handling and comment blocks

9. Regular expressions to remove javascript block comments in source code file

10. Block Comments

11. How to set comment block

12. Commenting out a block of code with one click