Access Database and OleDb
Author Message
 Access Database and OleDb

I'm trying to read data from an Access Database (2000
Format) with the following code:

Dim Cmd As OleDbCommand
Dim Qry as String = "SELECT * FROM USERS"

Conn = New OleDbConnection
("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" &
Application.StartupPath & "\prc.mdb;uid=Admin;pwd=pwd;")
Cmd = New OleDbCommand(Query, Conn)
Try
  Conn.Open()
Catch ex As OleDbException
  MsgBox(ex.Message)
End Try

Cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
rd = Cmd.ExecuteReader
Cmd.Dispose()
Cmd = Nothing

when I try to open the database I get an exception with
the following message "COULD NOT FIND INSTALLABLE ISAM"
I followed the steps included in the MSDN Library... what
am I doing wrong???? Please help me with this
Regards
RSV

Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:59:13 GMT
 Access Database and OleDb
It's probably an error in your connection string. Create a variable
and use that in the string so you see what it's being evaluated as.
also, for an unsecured Jet database you don't need userid and
password--the provider and data source strings are sufficient.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.mcwtech.com

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:59:13 -0700, "Rodrigo Sandoval"

Quote:

>I'm trying to read data from an Access Database (2000
>Format) with the following code:

>Dim Cmd As OleDbCommand
>Dim Qry as String = "SELECT * FROM USERS"

>Conn = New OleDbConnection
>("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" &
>Application.StartupPath & "\prc.mdb;uid=Admin;pwd=pwd;")
>Cmd = New OleDbCommand(Query, Conn)
>Try
>  Conn.Open()
>Catch ex As OleDbException
>  MsgBox(ex.Message)
>End Try

>Cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
>rd = Cmd.ExecuteReader
>Cmd.Dispose()
>Cmd = Nothing

>when I try to open the database I get an exception with
>the following message "COULD NOT FIND INSTALLABLE ISAM"
>I followed the steps included in the MSDN Library... what
>am I doing wrong???? Please help me with this
>Regards
>RSV

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:33:12 GMT
[...]

I believe that Mary is correct. For Jet-level security you should change the named parameters, uid
to UserID and pwd to Password.

You may also need to specify the location of the system.mdw file. See the following for connection
string examples:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q191754&

Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 02:22:06 GMT
 Access Database and OleDb
I had problems with the connection string to an access database too until I
converted the access database to Access XP (2002) format.

Quote:
> I'm trying to read data from an Access Database (2000
> Format) with the following code:

> Dim Cmd As OleDbCommand
> Dim Qry as String = "SELECT * FROM USERS"

> Conn = New OleDbConnection
> ("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" &
> Application.StartupPath & "\prc.mdb;uid=Admin;pwd=pwd;")
> Cmd = New OleDbCommand(Query, Conn)
> Try
>   Conn.Open()
> Catch ex As OleDbException
>   MsgBox(ex.Message)
> End Try

> Cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
> rd = Cmd.ExecuteReader
> Cmd.Dispose()
> Cmd = Nothing

> when I try to open the database I get an exception with
> the following message "COULD NOT FIND INSTALLABLE ISAM"
> I followed the steps included in the MSDN Library... what
> am I doing wrong???? Please help me with this
> Regards
> RSV

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:25:21 GMT

1. Access Database and OleDb

2. search subroutine to fin data from an access database using oledb in vb

3. Jet OLEDB & Access databases with passwords

4. How to use OLEDB to access FoxPro 2.6 database? Does OLEDB has Provider for FoxPro?

5. jet3.51 OLEDB vs jet4.0 OLEDB

6. OleDB and Password protected Databases

7. Problem updating a database from a dataset using OLEDB command builder

8. Database OLEDB programming (free) utility

9. Changing database connection using Jet OLEDB

10. Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode

11. Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode

12. OLEDB Database connection error