International Chars? Help - please! (Any Swedes out there?)
Author Message
 International Chars? Help - please! (Any Swedes out there?)

Hello there,

I've got a bit of a newbie question, despite the fact that I'd like to
consider myself as intermediate (will have to reconsider that maby LOL).
But I've - however incredible it may sound - never run into this kind of
problem before.

Ok, here goes.
Win2k, Sql2k, I'm creating an application which shall write information
stored in the db to a text-file for transfer via ftp.

So everything actually workds fine, except for _one_ thing... All of the
swedish chars (as "?","?","?") comes out all garbled in the text-file
(looks ok when running the application, checking the data from db with
msgBox for example). For example, "?" looks like "?" in the text-file
:(

Now this is apparently due to me using international chars, but how do I
work around it? I _really_ do need to keep them as "?","?" etc etc

Below you find the functino that actually _writes_ the file, which may
or may not have something to do with it. I suppose I should write a
"converter" that switches all and any of the "{*filter*} swedish characters"
before the actual file is written.

-------------------------------------
Public Sub writeTxtFile()
        path = "c:\work\invoiceEnginePBK\test.txt"
        Dim sw As IO.StreamWriter = New IO.StreamWriter(New
IO.FileStream(path, IO.FileMode.Create))
        sw.Write(invoiceHeader & invoiceMain & invoiceFooter)
        sw.Close()
End Sub
-------------------------------------

Many thanks!
Peace,
Gemini

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:14:43 GMT
 International Chars? Help - please! (Any Swedes out there?)
Nevermind, solved it myself, wasn't such a biggie LOL
Got to sleep... need sleep ;)

Peace,
Gemini

Quote:
> Hello there,

> I've got a bit of a newbie question, despite the fact that I'd like to
> consider myself as intermediate (will have to reconsider that maby LOL).
> But I've - however incredible it may sound - never run into this kind of
> problem before.

> Ok, here goes.
> Win2k, Sql2k, I'm creating an application which shall write information
> stored in the db to a text-file for transfer via ftp.

> So everything actually workds fine, except for _one_ thing... All of the
> swedish chars (as "?","?","?") comes out all garbled in the text-file
> (looks ok when running the application, checking the data from db with
> msgBox for example). For example, "?" looks like "?" in the text-file
> :(

> Now this is apparently due to me using international chars, but how do I
> work around it? I _really_ do need to keep them as "?","?" etc etc

> Below you find the functino that actually _writes_ the file, which may
> or may not have something to do with it. I suppose I should write a
> "converter" that switches all and any of the "{*filter*} swedish characters"
> before the actual file is written.

> -------------------------------------
> Public Sub writeTxtFile()
>         path = "c:\work\invoiceEnginePBK\test.txt"
>         Dim sw As IO.StreamWriter = New IO.StreamWriter(New
> IO.FileStream(path, IO.FileMode.Create))
>         sw.Write(invoiceHeader & invoiceMain & invoiceFooter)
>         sw.Close()
> End Sub
> -------------------------------------

> Many thanks!
> Peace,
> Gemini

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:40:33 GMT

2. Writing international chars to a DOS batch file

3. Help Please. International Email

4. International Dialing Codes - Help please

5. Help required for Unicode Chars(greek chars)

6. Help me please - Max String length 2 Billion chars - I don't think so

7. CR5 - Printing ASCII char instead of number - Help please

8. Need help with time outs

9. Can anyone HELP me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

10. ANN : Please don't purchase Aditya International software

11. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

12. university EMR send outs