Simple Installer Project Question
Author Message
 Simple Installer Project Question

I have created an installer for my VB.NET app using Visual Studio.  The
application installs fine, my question is this:

How can I make the newly installed application launch after installation?

Thanks.

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:26:47 GMT
 Simple Installer Project Question
I've not tried this.. but..

In the installer project, if you right-click the main heading for the
project and select View > Custom Actions.

Then , right click the "Install" folder, select "Add Customer Action", then
search in the Application folder for your main executable.  This should make
this run at the end of the installation.

HTH, Simon

--
==============================
Simon Verona

==============================

Quote:
> I have created an installer for my VB.NET app using Visual Studio.  The
> application installs fine, my question is this:

> How can I make the newly installed application launch after installation?

> Thanks.

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:29:33 GMT
 Simple Installer Project Question
I've tried that and unfortunately it halts the installer until the program
is closed!

Is there any way of launching the installed application "in the background"
while still allowing the installer to finish?

Quote:
> I've not tried this.. but..

> In the installer project, if you right-click the main heading for the
> project and select View > Custom Actions.

> Then , right click the "Install" folder, select "Add Customer Action",
then
> search in the Application folder for your main executable.  This should
make
> this run at the end of the installation.

> HTH, Simon

> --
> ==============================
> Simon Verona

> ==============================

> > I have created an installer for my VB.NET app using Visual Studio.  The
> > application installs fine, my question is this:

> > How can I make the newly installed application launch after
installation?

> > Thanks.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:05:29 GMT
 Simple Installer Project Question
well you could try running a seperate executable that shells out your main
executeable..   I've not tried it but it might be worth a go...

--
==============================
Simon Verona

==============================

Quote:
> I've tried that and unfortunately it halts the installer until the program
> is closed!

> Is there any way of launching the installed application "in the
background"
> while still allowing the installer to finish?

> > I've not tried this.. but..

> > In the installer project, if you right-click the main heading for the
> > project and select View > Custom Actions.

> > Then , right click the "Install" folder, select "Add Customer Action",
> then
> > search in the Application folder for your main executable.  This should
> make
> > this run at the end of the installation.

> > HTH, Simon

> > --
> > ==============================
> > Simon Verona

> > ==============================

> > > I have created an installer for my VB.NET app using Visual Studio.
The
> > > application installs fine, my question is this:

> > > How can I make the newly installed application launch after
> installation?

> > > Thanks.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:06:54 GMT
 Simple Installer Project Question
This is a little tricky without explicit steps, so here they are...

1. Dump the following code into a new text file named "CARunExe.vbs".

                cmd = Session.Property("CustomActionData")
                Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
                wsh.Run cmd, 1, True

2. Right click on your Setup project and select View / Custom Actions.
3. Right click on the Install node and select Add Custom Action.
4. In the "Select Item in Project" dialog, double click on the "Application
Folder" and then select "Add File" to add CARunExe.vbs.
5. Set the "CustomActionData" property to contain the command line for the
action; in this case "[TARGETDIR]WindowsApplication1.exe" (or whatever your
main program happens to be).

Hope that does it for you!

Dave Templin Visual Basic Development
--------------------

Quote:
> Subject: Re: Simple Installer Project Question
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:06:54 +0100

> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> well you could try running a seperate executable that shells out your main
> executeable..   I've not tried it but it might be worth a go...

> --
> ==============================
> Simon Verona

> ==============================

> > I've tried that and unfortunately it halts the installer until the
program
> > is closed!

> > Is there any way of launching the installed application "in the
> background"
> > while still allowing the installer to finish?

> > > I've not tried this.. but..

> > > In the installer project, if you right-click the main heading for the
> > > project and select View > Custom Actions.

> > > Then , right click the "Install" folder, select "Add Customer Action",
> > then
> > > search in the Application folder for your main executable.  This
should
> > make
> > > this run at the end of the installation.

> > > HTH, Simon

> > > --
> > > ==============================
> > > Simon Verona

> > > ==============================

> The

> > installation?

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:56:55 GMT
 Simple Installer Project Question
I'll give it a go.  Many thanks!

Quote:
> This is a little tricky without explicit steps, so here they are...

> 1. Dump the following code into a new text file named "CARunExe.vbs".

>                 cmd = Session.Property("CustomActionData")
>                 Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>                 wsh.Run cmd, 1, True

> 2. Right click on your Setup project and select View / Custom Actions.
> 3. Right click on the Install node and select Add Custom Action.
> 4. In the "Select Item in Project" dialog, double click on the
"Application
> Folder" and then select "Add File" to add CARunExe.vbs.
> 5. Set the "CustomActionData" property to contain the command line for the
> action; in this case "[TARGETDIR]WindowsApplication1.exe" (or whatever
your
> main program happens to be).

> Hope that does it for you!

> Dave Templin - Visual Basic Development
rights.
> --------------------

> > Subject: Re: Simple Installer Project Question
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:06:54 +0100

> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> > well you could try running a seperate executable that shells out your
main
> > executeable..   I've not tried it but it might be worth a go...

> > --
> > ==============================
> > Simon Verona

> > ==============================

> > > I've tried that and unfortunately it halts the installer until the
> program
> > > is closed!

> > > Is there any way of launching the installed application "in the
> > background"
> > > while still allowing the installer to finish?

Action",
> > > then
> should
> > > make

> > The

> > > installation?

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:40:41 GMT

1. Simple Question: Assigning Icon to an App : Simple Question

2. Simple Amiga/Spectrum type installer screen.

3. Office 2003 installer pops up when loading a project

4. Windows Installer or Script based installer????

5. Scripting another installer from within my installer

6. simple question...what was the source code for this simple custom action (rules wizard)

7. SIMPLE QUESTION : SIMPLE ANSWER?

8. SIMPLE QUESTION : SIMPLE ANSWER?

9. SIMPLE QUESTION, please SIMPLE ANSWER

10. Simple controls and a very simple question

11. SIMPLE SIMPLE ListView Question. Please help

12. Simple Question...simple answer???