Tooltip comment about methods
Author Message
 Tooltip comment about methods

I'd like to add tooltip comments to methods of my class.  Does anyone know
how to do this.  I tried using the
DescriptionAttribute but it did not work.

Thanks!

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:17:31 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
A couple of us here have conjectured that those comments are being pulled
out of the XML comments in C# code by some process during compilation that
extracts them and adds them to the assemblies via an undocumented attribute.
I've looked all over the documentation trying to find a documented attribute
that I could use in my VB.NET code to get the same effect and I haven't
found anything yet.

Anybody here know how this is being done?

Tom Dacon
Guidance

Quote:
> I'd like to add tooltip comments to methods of my class.  Does anyone know
> how to do this.  I tried using the
> DescriptionAttribute but it did not work.

> Thanks!

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:42:19 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
It isn't done on XML comments after you compile and then reference the
DLL -- only in the IDE.  I ildasm'd the resuling C# with XML docs, and found
nothing there....  Perhaps I did something wrong.
-mike

Quote:
> A couple of us here have conjectured that those comments are being pulled
> out of the XML comments in C# code by some process during compilation that
> extracts them and adds them to the assemblies via an undocumented
attribute.
> I've looked all over the documentation trying to find a documented
attribute
> that I could use in my VB.NET code to get the same effect and I haven't
> found anything yet.

> Anybody here know how this is being done?

> Tom Dacon
> Guidance

> > I'd like to add tooltip comments to methods of my class.  Does anyone
know
> > how to do this.  I tried using the
> > DescriptionAttribute but it did not work.

> > Thanks!

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 06:25:52 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
From what I can tell, it is stored in an XML file that has the same name as
the DLL. Take a look at these two files to see what I mean.

Microsoft.VisualBasic.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic.XML

--
Jonathan Allen

Quote:
> It isn't done on XML comments after you compile and then reference the
> DLL -- only in the IDE.  I ildasm'd the resuling C# with XML docs, and
found
> nothing there....  Perhaps I did something wrong.
> -mike

> > A couple of us here have conjectured that those comments are being
pulled
> > out of the XML comments in C# code by some process during compilation
that
> > extracts them and adds them to the assemblies via an undocumented
> attribute.
> > I've looked all over the documentation trying to find a documented
> attribute
> > that I could use in my VB.NET code to get the same effect and I haven't
> > found anything yet.

> > Anybody here know how this is being done?

> > Tom Dacon
> > Guidance

> > > I'd like to add tooltip comments to methods of my class.  Does anyone
> know
> > > how to do this.  I tried using the
> > > DescriptionAttribute but it did not work.

> > > Thanks!

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:04:02 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
Sweet.  Well, thats nice.  Whats the big deal about XMLDoc in VB then?
Shouldn't be too hard to implement.  Let's see....
-mike

Quote:
> From what I can tell, it is stored in an XML file that has the same name
as
> the DLL. Take a look at these two files to see what I mean.

> Microsoft.VisualBasic.DLL
> Microsoft.VisualBasic.XML

> --
> Jonathan Allen

> > It isn't done on XML comments after you compile and then reference the
> > DLL -- only in the IDE.  I ildasm'd the resuling C# with XML docs, and
> found
> > nothing there....  Perhaps I did something wrong.
> > -mike

> > > A couple of us here have conjectured that those comments are being
> pulled
> > > out of the XML comments in C# code by some process during compilation
> that
> > > extracts them and adds them to the assemblies via an undocumented
> > attribute.
> > > I've looked all over the documentation trying to find a documented
> > attribute
> > > that I could use in my VB.NET code to get the same effect and I
haven't
> > > found anything yet.

> > > Anybody here know how this is being done?

> > > Tom Dacon
> > > Guidance

> > know

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:19:52 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
    Arrg...

    I made two projects (class libraries) that just have one class (Class1).
I made the XML for C#, and it works fine when I add a reference.  So, I
copied the XML file to my VB dir and replaced "IlTestCS" with "IlTestVB".
Didn't work.

    I IlDasm'd it to a text file then started to strip away everything from
the VB until it looked like C#'s IL.  Didn't work

    Finally, I ended up ILASM'ing the C#IL to two different DLLs:
IlTestVB.dll and IlTestCS.dll.  I have two xml files, identical except the
CS is VB in one of them.

    I add references to both, and I get the tooltip name on the "CS" one,
but not the "VB" one.  Any ideas on what is happening here?

    In the IL I don't see anything about the XML docs, so I'm quite confused
now.   MSFT: Mind shedding a little light on this, so we can hack together
our own version of XMLDoc for VB?

Thanks,
-Mike

Quote:
> Sweet.  Well, thats nice.  Whats the big deal about XMLDoc in VB then?
> Shouldn't be too hard to implement.  Let's see....
> -mike

> > From what I can tell, it is stored in an XML file that has the same name
> as
> > the DLL. Take a look at these two files to see what I mean.

> > Microsoft.VisualBasic.DLL
> > Microsoft.VisualBasic.XML

> > --
> > Jonathan Allen

> > > It isn't done on XML comments after you compile and then reference the
> > > DLL -- only in the IDE.  I ildasm'd the resuling C# with XML docs, and
> > found
> > > nothing there....  Perhaps I did something wrong.
> > > -mike

> > pulled
> > that
> > > attribute.
> > > attribute
> haven't

> anyone
> > > know

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:01:20 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
Mike,

Have you found a way to do this yet ?  I'm working on
trying to implement this also.

Tom

Quote:

message

then reference the
with XML docs, and
>> > found

comments are being
>> > pulled
process during
>compilation
>> > that
an undocumented
find a documented
same effect and I
>> haven't

message

my class.  Does
>> anyone

>.

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:00:34 GMT
 Tooltip comment about methods
Hello All,

I just answered my own question.  I found this in the
VS.NET Beta 2 documentation regarding the
DocumentationFile property of a project.

You guys were right that it was the XML data file that was
driving the tooltips.  Check it out.

<<
Remarks

C# defines XML tags for documenting your source code.
During compilation of the source code, these tags are
extracted and then reassembled in a new file in XML
format. The DocumentationFile property specifies the name
of this XML output file. The data may then be view
directly or used as input to help files or documentation
reports. For details, see the XML Documentation Tutorial.

The file name may also include a relative path. The file
will be created in the directory given, relative to the
project directory. The project system will create the
directory if it does not exist.

Only C# provides XML documentation, so this property is
meaningless for Visual Basic projects.

So I guess we're S.O.L. for now.

Hey .NET Team, how about giving us this ability in
VB.NET ???  My shop won't let me use C# like I want to.
PLEASE !!!!!!

Tom

Quote:

in
>message

>my class.  Does
>>> anyone

 zR$l - F6ork.

>>.

>.

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:56:51 GMT

1. Add tooltip comments to methods

2. Tooltip help/comments on methods

3. Proper Method for creating a ToolTip

4. Add comments to method definition

5. Comment methods?

6. Commenting methods in VB.Net

7. Adding Comments to a Class or Method

8. Comments besides Commented Text

9. Comment on QB websites/view websites by comments .-=??=-.

10. Comments = StrConv(Comments, vbProperCase)

11. Commenting - How to comment blocks of text

12. followhyperlink method fails to use method constant other than msoMethodGet