VB.NET on the way out??
Author Message
 VB.NET on the way out??

Hello,

Quote:
> When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but
> MS tried to make amends and tried to at least provide links
> to the VB.NET version of any samples.  Lately I see the tide
> shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C# in must magazines with
> it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN magazine
> is C#.

You are right. That's a horrible fact.

Quote:
> Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

No. Do not surrender. We have the better ship.

Quote:
> There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex
> to start with and adding the task of translating on top of that
> makes them pretty useless.

I believe in the success of VB .NET. VB .NET is better, even if there is
a strong alternative C#.

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner
--
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:46:50 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
[insert Herfried's post here]

Absolutely. 110% agreement.

--
Happy to help,
-- Tom Spink

Please respond to the newsgroup,
so all can benefit.

One Day,

Quote:
> Hello,

> > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but
> > MS tried to make amends and tried to at least provide links
> > to the VB.NET version of any samples.  Lately I see the tide
> > shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C# in must magazines with
> > it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN magazine
> > is C#.

> You are right. That's a horrible fact.

> > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> No. Do not surrender. We have the better ship.

> > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex
> > to start with and adding the task of translating on top of that
> > makes them pretty useless.

> I believe in the success of VB .NET. VB .NET is better, even if there is
> a strong alternative C#.

> Regards,
> Herfried K. Wagner
> --
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:55:21 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
VB.NET isn't on it's way out!

Nick

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:15:34 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
i have had 2 c# contracts and 2 vb.net contracts in the
last 18 months, and each time i go back to vb.net i am
surprised at how much faster i can write code in it.
people say it is too verbose but at least you can easily
spot a property from a function from a sub!

guy

Quote:

with no help from
>MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and
only one in the
>area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their

local offices but no

>other support.  MS supported and started a competing User
group because i
>leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i
folded my group.
>Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

>ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in
VB.NET.  I
>dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators
but invariably
>they don't get it all.

>Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch
languages??

>There are so many samples out there that are fairly

complex to start with
Quote:
>and adding the task of translating on top of that makes

them pretty useless.

>Harry

>.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:44:18 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
The first language I ever learned was IBM Mainframe BASIC in 1973. Then it
was Turbo Pascal. in the early 90's.

Give me the "natural" languages any time!

Braces? We don't need no stinking curly braces! :-)

VB Rocks!

Quote:
> When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to make
> amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of any
> samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C#
in
> must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
magazine
> is C#.

> I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help from
> MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in the
> area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices but
no
> other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group because i
> leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my group.
> Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but invariably
> they don't get it all.

> Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start with
> and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
useless.

> Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:13:39 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
honestly i find VB and C# equally easy to understand and write, but VB
development is quicker.

Quote:
> The first language I ever learned was IBM Mainframe BASIC in 1973. Then it
> was Turbo Pascal. in the early 90's.

> Give me the "natural" languages any time!

> Braces? We don't need no stinking curly braces! :-)

> VB Rocks!

> > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to make
> > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of any
> > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C#
> in
> > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> magazine
> > is C#.

> > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
from
> > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
the
> > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
but
> no
> > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group because
> > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my group.
> > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but invariably
> > they don't get it all.

> > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
with
> > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> useless.

> > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:38:33 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
I strongly prefer VB.

Have you tried this translator?
http://www.*-*-*.com/

It works well enough for my needs.
--
Joe Fallon

Quote:
> Nice to be among friends finally.....geesh!!

> I'll hang in this group more often especially when the C# weirdness starts
> to get to me.
> Saw where the VBPJ folks are coming out with a C# mag.  You think maybe
> they'll come full circle and produce a VBNETPJ??

> Harry

> > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to make
> > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of any
> > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C#
> in
> > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> magazine
> > is C#.

> > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
from
> > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
the
> > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
but
> no
> > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group because
> > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my group.
> > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but invariably
> > they don't get it all.

> > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
with
> > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> useless.

> > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:00:24 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
Hey if Microsoft should get rid of anything it should be the damn Xbox, they
are clinging on to that like 5 month old bread.

Nick.

Quote:
> Nice to be among friends finally.....geesh!!

> I'll hang in this group more often especially when the C# weirdness starts
> to get to me.
> Saw where the VBPJ folks are coming out with a C# mag.  You think maybe
> they'll come full circle and produce a VBNETPJ??

> Harry

> > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to make
> > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of any
> > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of C#
> in
> > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> magazine
> > is C#.

> > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
from
> > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
the
> > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
but
> no
> > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group because
> > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my group.
> > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but invariably
> > they don't get it all.

> > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
with
> > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> useless.

> > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:00:39 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
I happen to like my XBox, just don't happen to like the programming language
for it.  I also agree VB is a true RAD, things are able to be developed
quicker and cleaner.  Right now I'm having a nightmare trying to write a
.NET program that will replace an old Delphi 5 program using an ANSI C DLL
(View my post below) and having a hell of a time with all the memory
pointers and direct memory addressing these people use.  Give me my toy
language anyday!

Tibmeister

Do While Sanity = True
    Shell("C:\WINNT\Explorer.exe")
Loop

Quote:
> Hey if Microsoft should get rid of anything it should be the damn Xbox,
they
> are clinging on to that like 5 month old bread.

> Nick.

> > Nice to be among friends finally.....geesh!!

> > I'll hang in this group more often especially when the C# weirdness
starts
> > to get to me.
> > Saw where the VBPJ folks are coming out with a C# mag.  You think maybe
> > they'll come full circle and produce a VBNETPJ??

> > Harry

> > > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to
make
> > > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of
any
> > > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of
C#
> > in
> > > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> > magazine
> > > is C#.

> > > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
> from
> > > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
> the
> > > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
> but
> > no
> > > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group
because
> > > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my
group.
> > > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but
invariably
> > > they don't get it all.

> > > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
> with
> > > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> > useless.

> > > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:21:58 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
In my case, there was a kind of "imprinting" event that occurred with the
first language I learned, which admittedly biased me.

If the C-style languages had been my first exposure to programming, I
probably would be raving about how great they are.

As it is, though, I really can't stand curly braces, underscores, and
hungarian notation. I guess the result is that I never took the time to
master C-style.

Quote:
> honestly i find VB and C# equally easy to understand and write, but VB
> development is quicker.

> > The first language I ever learned was IBM Mainframe BASIC in 1973. Then
it
> > was Turbo Pascal. in the early 90's.

> > Give me the "natural" languages any time!

> > Braces? We don't need no stinking curly braces! :-)

> > VB Rocks!

> > > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to
make
> > > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of
any
> > > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of
C#
> > in
> > > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> > magazine
> > > is C#.

> > > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
> from
> > > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
> the
> > > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
> but
> > no
> > > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group
because
> > > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my
group.
> > > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but
invariably
> > > they don't get it all.

> > > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
> with
> > > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> > useless.

> > > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:07:00 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
Quote:
> "imprinting" event

Why not use RemoveHandler?

--
Happy to help,
-- Tom Spink

Please respond to the newsgroup,
so all can benefit.

One Day,

Quote:
> In my case, there was a kind of "imprinting" event that occurred with the
> first language I learned, which admittedly biased me.

> If the C-style languages had been my first exposure to programming, I
> probably would be raving about how great they are.

> As it is, though, I really can't stand curly braces, underscores, and
> hungarian notation. I guess the result is that I never took the time to
> master C-style.

> > honestly i find VB and C# equally easy to understand and write, but VB
> > development is quicker.

> > > The first language I ever learned was IBM Mainframe BASIC in 1973.
Then
> it
> > > was Turbo Pascal. in the early 90's.

> > > Give me the "natural" languages any time!

> > > Braces? We don't need no stinking curly braces! :-)

> > > VB Rocks!

> make
> any
> C#
> > > in
> > > magazine

> > from
> > the
> > but
> > > no
> because
> group.

> invariably

> > with
> > > useless.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:50:31 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
Yeah, but in the case that they dont sell them, they are large enough to be
used as weapons if dropped from high enough.

Quote:
> Hey if Microsoft should get rid of anything it should be the damn Xbox,
they
> are clinging on to that like 5 month old bread.

> Nick.

> > Nice to be among friends finally.....geesh!!

> > I'll hang in this group more often especially when the C# weirdness
starts
> > to get to me.
> > Saw where the VBPJ folks are coming out with a C# mag.  You think maybe
> > they'll come full circle and produce a VBNETPJ??

> > Harry

> > > When .NET was first introduced, VB.NET was slighted but MS tried to
make
> > > amends and tried to at least provide links to the VB.NET version of
any
> > > samples.  Lately I see the tide shifting back to a total {*filter*} of
C#
> > in
> > > must magazines with it almost 90% of all MS sample code now.  MSDN
> > magazine
> > > is C#.

> > > I had run the ONLY VB user group in my area for 7 years with no help
> from
> > > MS.  I then changed it to a .NET user group the first and only one in
> the
> > > area (.NET was in pre-beta) and MS let us meet in their local offices
> but
> > no
> > > other support.  MS supported and started a competing User group
because
> > > leaned toward VB.NET over C#.  I couldn't fight MS so i folded my
group.
> > > Gee maybe this was an indicator of the present times eh?

> > > ASP.NET Pro mag had 7 articles of which only one was in VB.NET.  I
> > > dudtifully try to run the C# code through the translators but
invariably
> > > they don't get it all.

> > > Should us VBers just bit e the bullet and switch languages??

> > > There are so many samples out there that are fairly complex to start
> with
> > > and adding the task of translating on top of that makes them pretty
> > useless.

> > > Harry

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:46:18 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
Haha, I agree, I think it's pathetic how the XBox magazines still blabber on
about Halo, it was like the first game released, just goes to show how much
of a flop the XBox has been, give me PC versions anyday (or Sega Master
System ;-) ).  Are XBoxes what they dropped on Iraq?

Nick.

Quote:
> Yeah, but in the case that they dont sell them, they are large enough to
be
> used as weapons if dropped from high enough.

> > Hey if Microsoft should get rid of anything it should be the damn Xbox,
> they
> > are clinging on to that like 5 month old bread.

> > Nick.

> > > Nice to be among friends finally.....geesh!!

> > > I'll hang in this group more often especially when the C# weirdness
> starts
> > > to get to me.
> > > Saw where the VBPJ folks are coming out with a C# mag.  You think
maybe
> > > they'll come full circle and produce a VBNETPJ??

> > > Harry

> make
> any
> C#
> > > in
> > > magazine

> > from
> > the
> > but
> > > no
> because
> group.

> invariably

> > with
> > > useless.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:56:15 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
Actually, it was Japan, but we see how long that worked!  Personally, the
major problem with the XBox, as with most of Microsofts "Innovations" is
that they try to make this nifty stuff that takes forever to learn, so that
when you learn it and can beat your chest about being a "master" of some MS
technology,  they change it so you have to learn new stuff, and pay even
more money!  As far as the XBox, they made a great piece of hardware that
makes an even better Linux workstation!

Tibmeister

Props to nVidia too

Quote:
> Haha, I agree, I think it's pathetic how the XBox magazines still blabber
on
> about Halo, it was like the first game released, just goes to show how
much
> of a flop the XBox has been, give me PC versions anyday (or Sega Master
> System ;-) ).  Are XBoxes what they dropped on Iraq?

> Nick.

> > Yeah, but in the case that they dont sell them, they are large enough to
> be
> > used as weapons if dropped from high enough.

> > > Hey if Microsoft should get rid of anything it should be the damn
Xbox,
> > they
> > > are clinging on to that like 5 month old bread.

> > > Nick.

> > starts
> maybe

> > make
> > any
> of
> > C#

> > > from
> in
> > > the
> offices
> > > but
> > because
> > group.

> > invariably

> > > with

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:42:03 GMT
 VB.NET on the way out??
You forgot Case SensiTivity.

steve

Quote:
> In my case, there was a kind of "imprinting" event that occurred with the
> first language I learned, which admittedly biased me.

> If the C-style languages had been my first exposure to programming, I
> probably would be raving about how great they are.

> As it is, though, I really can't stand curly braces, underscores, and
> hungarian notation. I guess the result is that I never took the time to
> master C-style.

> > honestly i find VB and C# equally easy to understand and write, but VB
> > development is quicker.

> > > The first language I ever learned was IBM Mainframe BASIC in 1973.
Then
> it
> > > was Turbo Pascal. in the early 90's.

> > > Give me the "natural" languages any time!

> > > Braces? We don't need no stinking curly braces! :-)

> > > VB Rocks!

> make
> any
> C#
> > > in
> > > magazine

> > from
> > the
> > but
> > > no
> because
> group.

> invariably

> > with
> > > useless.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:26:25 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. How to handle print outs in VB?

2. The strange ways of .net, !!!References!!!

3. ways to start well in VB

4. Other easier simpler ways to access a mdb file from VB

5. two ways to shoot your foot off in VB.

6. ways of adding vb scripting

7. Ways to Make a VB form transparent

8. university EMR send outs

9. on the outs

10. Learning the ins and outs of Peek and Poke

11. Filesystem Time outs

12. Session Variable Time-outs