combox beep when enter key pressed
Author Message
 combox beep when enter key pressed

There has been at least one message posted already on this
subject, but I would like to hear from Microsoft.  There
seems to be no way to trap the enter key press from a
combobox whose dropdowstyle is 'dropdown' without a beep
being generated.

Is this a known bug?  Is it going to be fixed anytime
soon?  Is there any work around (a workaround on the list
here simply eliminates the enter key and I can't trap it
if it's been eliminated).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:25:00 GMT
 combox beep when enter key pressed
Hi Lee,

I do not know if this should be called a bug or not. The behavior you see
here is due to the fact, that there is no default button on the form to
accept the Enter key. However, I will check into this next week and will
post it here. If you want to work around this issue, there are many ways to
do it but the simple one is to add a button on the form. Make its visible
property to False and do not add any code in the click event. Then goto
Forms properties window and select this button in the AcceptButton property
of the form.  This work around will work for many controls on the form
including textboxes.

Hope this helps!
Bharat Patel
Microsoft, Visual Basic .NET

Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:14:18 GMT
 combox beep when enter key pressed
I would call it a bug in the sense that the text box
doesn't issue the same beep.  There is code to trap the
KeyPress event and issue a 'SelectNextControl' method and
sets e.Handled=True, and all of the other controls work
just fine, but the combo box beeps.  And the combobox only
generates the beep if the 'DropDownStyle' property is set
to 'DropDown' but not 'Simple' or 'DropDownList'.

However, thanks for the idea for the work around.  I
appreciate it.

-Lee

Quote:

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:52:21 GMT
 combox beep when enter key pressed
Hi Lee,

Thank you for providing me more information. I have sent this information
to our developers to investigate it further.

Thanks!
Bharat Patel
Microsoft, Visual Basic .NET

Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:16:02 GMT
 combox beep when enter key pressed
I would call it a bug when the same thing doesn't occur
for the TextBox control and it doesn't occur for the
ComboBox if the 'DropDownStyle' is set to ANYTHING other
than 'DropDown'.  My code traps the KeyPress event of the
control and I set the property E.Handled=True and the beep
still occurs.

However, thank you for the alternative options on this,
I'll give it a try.  Also, thank you for responding.

-Lee

Quote:

confers no rights.
>Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

>.

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:50:25 GMT

1. Beep when ENTER key or TAB key used

2. Beeping on enter press?

3. Beep Tone when pressing "Enter"

4. Beep after Pressing Enter in Textbox

5. Default beep whenever pressing enter in txtfield(n)

6. Beep on key press

7. Beep in text box when hit enter key

8. Why does ENTER key beep in text boxes?

9. Processing the enter key without beep

10. click event when pressing enter key

11. Detect Enter Key Press in a combo box

12. Datagrid - Validating a column after the TAB ENTER key is pressed