VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Author Message
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio Start
Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got some
good responses across a diverse set of users.

  1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?
  2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful are
they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)
  3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
likely to adjust?

Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider the
top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list contained
more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
script warnings when I try and use this feature."

Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this feature to
this thread as well.

Thanks,

            Josh Ledgard

            IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:59:32 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Josh,

    I personally don't use the start page, as I find it distracting.  The
most I use is the MRU list from the File menu, or I use the new
project/solution pages on the menu.  I'm just used to it from previous
versions of VS.NET.

    However, I think that there are probably a good number of people who
like this feature, only because it is there, and they got used to it.

    Hope this helps.

--
               - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Quote:
> Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio
Start
> Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
> Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got
some
> good responses across a diverse set of users.

>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
are
> they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
> likely to adjust?

> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
the
> top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
> script warnings when I try and use this feature."

> Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this feature
> this thread as well.

> Thanks,

>             Josh Ledgard

>             IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:13:10 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Hello Josh,

Quote:
>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab)
> regularly?

No. I use the menu instead. How to change the number of projects listed
in this MRU list?

Quote:
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly
> and how useful are they? (News, Headlines, Online Community,
> XML Web Services, Web Hosting)

I've never used them. Today I took a look at these pages and in my
opinion they are really useful.

Quote:
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile
> options are you most likely to adjust?

I used it to select the Visual Basic Developer scheme.

Quote:
> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what
> people consider the top issues with the start page.
> For example: "I wish the MRU list contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm
> constantly getting script warnings when I try and
> use this feature."

Wish list:

If it doesn't already exist: An option to change the number of projects
listed in the MRU list.

A color scheme that integrates better with the IDE.

;-)

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:31:32 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
I don't use the start page at all because it makes VS.Net take far too long
to load. I know that is not something you can control (AFAIK it uses IE, and
that's what slows things down).

To be honest, I don't know if I would use it even without the speed issue. I
have a set of sites I visit on a daily basis to get my industry news (it's
part of my routine of starting my day) and I couldn't work without the MRU
list on the file menu, so there isn't anything really compelling for me.

Colin

Quote:
> Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio
Start
> Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
> Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got
some
> good responses across a diverse set of users.

>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
are
> they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
> likely to adjust?

> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
the
> top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
> script warnings when I try and use this feature."

> Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this feature
> this thread as well.

> Thanks,

>             Josh Ledgard

>             IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:54:13 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Quote:
> I've never used them. Today I took a look at these pages and in my
> opinion they are really useful.

What information did you find usefull? What type of info would you like to
find in the future?

josh

Quote:
> Hello Josh,

> >   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab)
> > regularly?

> No. I use the menu instead. How to change the number of projects listed
> in this MRU list?

> >   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly
> > and how useful are they? (News, Headlines, Online Community,
> > XML Web Services, Web Hosting)

> I've never used them. Today I took a look at these pages and in my
> opinion they are really useful.

> >   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile
> > options are you most likely to adjust?

> I used it to select the Visual Basic Developer scheme.

> > Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what
> > people consider the top issues with the start page.
> > For example: "I wish the MRU list contained
> > more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm
> > constantly getting script warnings when I try and
> > use this feature."

> Wish list:

> If it doesn't already exist: An option to change the number of projects
> listed in the MRU list.

> A color scheme that integrates better with the IDE.

> ;-)

> Regards,
> Herfried K. Wagner

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:28:42 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
I'm just curious what sites you do visit to find this type of information?
Do other poeple also have thier faviorite sites that they preffer over the
start page online tabs?
josh

Quote:
> I don't use the start page at all because it makes VS.Net take far too
long
> to load. I know that is not something you can control (AFAIK it uses IE,
and
> that's what slows things down).

> To be honest, I don't know if I would use it even without the speed issue.
> have a set of sites I visit on a daily basis to get my industry news (it's
> part of my routine of starting my day) and I couldn't work without the MRU
> list on the file menu, so there isn't anything really compelling for me.

> Colin

> > Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio
> Start
> > Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
> > Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got
> some
> > good responses across a diverse set of users.

> >   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?
> >   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
> are
> > they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)
> >   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you
most
> > likely to adjust?

> > Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
> the
> > top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
> contained
> > more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
> > script warnings when I try and use this feature."

> > Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this
feature
> > this thread as well.

> > Thanks,

> >             Josh Ledgard

> >             IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:29:43 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Quote:
> I don't use the start page at all because it makes VS.Net take far too
long
> to load. I know that is not something you can control (AFAIK it uses IE,
and
> that's what slows things down).

That's fixed in VS.NET 2003

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:45:24 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Quote:
> Wish list:

> If it doesn't already exist: An option to change the number of projects
> listed in the MRU list.

You can already do that in Tools -> Options

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:43:22 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Hi Josh,

Quote:
>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?

Yes, but most i use a custom tab i have made with my favorite projects

Quote:
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
are
> they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)

never, since there is ie for this, i cannot justify why an IDE should have
those options

Quote:
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
> likely to adjust?

once, on the first use, someone rarely change those options on a daily basis
imho

Quote:
> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
the
> top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date"

1) I have write (or download) hundreds of small sample solutions, i wish
that the start page could provide some solution explorer in a Start Page Tab
(by reading a predefined directory for *.sln files), and foreach solution i
wish i could write a comment or add keywords (for later search)

2) A Start Page Tab with batches (shell mostly but also VS.Macros), to
replace the Tools/External Tools

3) Point&Build without open the solution(s) in the IDE

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:47:04 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
I like the MRU list and that's all I've ever used.

When I first installed it, I set the My Profile to VB6 because I use the
De{*filter*} shortcuts from there.

Erik Porter
Microsoft .NET MVP
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio
Start
> Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
> Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got
some
> good responses across a diverse set of users.

>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
are
> they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
> likely to adjust?

> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
the
> top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
> script warnings when I try and use this feature."

> Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this feature
> this thread as well.

> Thanks,

>             Josh Ledgard

>             IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:46:44 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Hello Josh,

Quote:
> What information did you find usefull? What type of info
> would you like to find in the future?

Everything is useful. News, links, information... great.

;-)

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:46:37 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Hello Erik,

Quote:
> > If it doesn't already exist: An option to change the
> > number of projects listed in the MRU list.

> You can already do that in Tools -> Options

Ooops. Now it works. I changed this option before but maybe I didn't
press OK.

;-)

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:51:57 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Quote:
> Hi all, I'm the QA lead on the team responsible for the Visual Studio
Start
> Page and was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me.
> Sorry about the cross posting of this, but I wanted to make sure I got
some
> good responses across a diverse set of users.

>   1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?

No, don't use the start page at all.  The IDE loads faster w/out the start
page, plus the start page always maximizes on load (I use the MDI setting
with nothing docked), so I'd have to restore my preferred window size every
time if I used the start page.

Quote:
>   2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful
are
> they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)

I do all my browsing through IE.

Quote:
>   3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
> likely to adjust?

> Beyond these basic questions I'm also interested in what people consider
the
> top issues with the start page.  For example: "I wish the MRU list
contained
> more information than the Name/Modified date" or "I'm constantly getting
> script warnings when I try and use this feature."

> Feel free to post any other information or discussion around this feature
> this thread as well.

> Thanks,

>             Josh Ledgard

>             IDE Test Lead

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:57:59 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions
Quote:
> Yes, but most i use a custom tab i have made with my favorite projects

What type of information have you added to your custom tab to do this?

Quote:
> 1) I have write (or download) hundreds of small sample solutions, i wish
> that the start page could provide some solution explorer in a Start Page
Tab
> (by reading a predefined directory for *.sln files), and foreach solution
> wish i could write a comment or add keywords (for later search)

So, if I understand you correctly you are looking for a tab that goes
through the solution file and give you quick shortcuts to individual files
within the solution?   Or are you simply looking for a tab that lists all
solutions in a directory named "foo"?

Quote:
> 2) A Start Page Tab with batches (shell mostly but also VS.Macros), to
> replace the Tools/External Tools

Why would you preffer to do this than use the menu?  I'm just curious.

Quote:
> 3) Point&Build without open the solution(s) in the IDE

That's an interesting idea.

josh

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:00:12 GMT
 VS.NET Start Page Usage Questions

Quote:
>  1.. Do you use the Start Page MRU List (Get Started tab) regularly?

No, I use the File menu.

Quote:
>  2.. Do you use online tabs of the Start Page regularly and how useful are
>they? (News, Headlines, Online Community, XML Web Services, Web Hosting)

Don't use them.

Quote:
>  3.. Do you use the My Profile tab and what profile options are you most
>likely to adjust?

I use it the first thing after installing VS to ensure that my
settings are correct (VS Developer profile, External help). After that
I never look at it again, and use Tools | Options.. if I want to
adjust something.

Mattias

===

http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/
Please reply only to the newsgroup.

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:44:26 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. memory usage question VB6 vs .Net

2. VS.NET start page options disappeared

3. using vs.net for asp.net pages

4. Creating a VS.Net Start screen like

5. The application cannot start (Problem in VS.NET)

6. Start os VS.Net hangs

7. Crystal Report Designer doesn't start in VS.NET (specified module could not be found)

8. Data Type Usage: Single vs Currency vs Decimal

9. VS.NET 2003 project back to VS.NET 2002

10. VS.Net Version vs .Net Framework version

11. Upgrading to VS.Net 2003 from VS.Net 2002