How can I display Foreign languages in a DataGrid?
Author Message
 How can I display Foreign languages in a DataGrid?

I have a bunch of files on a file server, and I store the pointer to those
files in the database.  Sometimes the file names are in a foreign language.
If I look at them with windows explorer the names show up in their native
alphabet.  I then store them in a SQL database using a nvarchar datatype,
and I'm pretty sure nvarchar supports unicode, but the names show up in my
database as all question marks (i.e. ????????.txt ). I must be losing the
unicode format somewhere along the way.  I want the file names to show up in
my datagrid correctly as well.  Hopefully someone out there has experience
with this.

Thanks,
Matt

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:36:03 GMT
 How can I display Foreign languages in a DataGrid?
nvarchar in sqlserver does support unicode, so what does a select filename
from the table produce in sqls query analyser, if this is correct try a
preview of the table in the visual studio IDE

after that your down to the control level try texbox, richtextbox then
lastly the grid these have a locale/language setting and this may be the
cause of your problems. they try to pick up the locale from your machine
config

no idea what the solution could be its interesting to know about the problem
though

Colin.

Quote:

> I have a bunch of files on a file server, and I store the pointer to those
> files in the database.  Sometimes the file names are in a foreign
language.
> If I look at them with windows explorer the names show up in their native
> alphabet.  I then store them in a SQL database using a nvarchar datatype,
> and I'm pretty sure nvarchar supports unicode, but the names show up in my
> database as all question marks (i.e. ????????.txt ). I must be losing the
> unicode format somewhere along the way.  I want the file names to show up
in
> my datagrid correctly as well.  Hopefully someone out there has experience
> with this.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:47:10 GMT
 How can I display Foreign languages in a DataGrid?
I opened up a table from server explorer as you suggested, but the file
names still show up in all question marks (i.e. ?????.txt )....strange.  I
know I'm inserting them into the database as Unicode, so I'm just stumped.

--thanks

Quote:

> nvarchar in sqlserver does support unicode, so what does a select filename
> from the table produce in sqls query analyser, if this is correct try a
> preview of the table in the visual studio IDE

> after that your down to the control level try texbox, richtextbox then
> lastly the grid these have a locale/language setting and this may be the
> cause of your problems. they try to pick up the locale from your machine
> config

> no idea what the solution could be its interesting to know about the
problem
> though

> Colin.

> > I have a bunch of files on a file server, and I store the pointer to
those
> > files in the database.  Sometimes the file names are in a foreign
> language.
> > If I look at them with windows explorer the names show up in their
native
> > alphabet.  I then store them in a SQL database using a nvarchar
datatype,
> > and I'm pretty sure nvarchar supports unicode, but the names show up in
my
> > database as all question marks (i.e. ????????.txt ). I must be losing
the
> > unicode format somewhere along the way.  I want the file names to show
up
> in
> > my datagrid correctly as well.  Hopefully someone out there has
experience
> > with this.

> > Thanks,
> > Matt

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:21:46 GMT
 How can I display Foreign languages in a DataGrid?
1. connect Excell to the Sql table and see what you get out from SQL (try
inserting records as well)
2. msgbox out the Ascii codes for each character
3. all strings in Visual studio are supposed to be unicode try creating a
record with data as Currency sign (a unicode value) save the record and see
what you get back when you change the locale in control panel, if its the
same unicode is working!
4. suspect your getfilename() if its api based it probably is not unicode
that is going in ...

Colin

Quote:

> I opened up a table from server explorer as you suggested, but the file
> names still show up in all question marks (i.e. ?????.txt )....strange.  I
> know I'm inserting them into the database as Unicode, so I'm just stumped.

> --thanks

> > nvarchar in sqlserver does support unicode, so what does a select
filename
> > from the table produce in sqls query analyser, if this is correct try a
> > preview of the table in the visual studio IDE

> > after that your down to the control level try texbox, richtextbox then
> > lastly the grid these have a locale/language setting and this may be the
> > cause of your problems. they try to pick up the locale from your machine
> > config

> > no idea what the solution could be its interesting to know about the
> problem
> > though

> > Colin.

> > > I have a bunch of files on a file server, and I store the pointer to
> those
> > > files in the database.  Sometimes the file names are in a foreign
> > language.
> > > If I look at them with windows explorer the names show up in their
> native
> > > alphabet.  I then store them in a SQL database using a nvarchar
> datatype,
> > > and I'm pretty sure nvarchar supports unicode, but the names show up
in
> my
> > > database as all question marks (i.e. ????????.txt ). I must be losing
> the
> > > unicode format somewhere along the way.  I want the file names to show
> up
> > in
> > > my datagrid correctly as well.  Hopefully someone out there has
> experience
> > > with this.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Matt

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 05:37:23 GMT

1. VBA Text in Foreign Languages

2. Format date in foreign language

3. Database Sortorder and foreign languages!

4. Translators of foreign languages

5. VB and foreign languages

6. Foreign language: handling 0.00 and 0,00

7. Q: Sorting Listview with foreign language characters

8. MCI and foreign language Windows 3.11?

9. Foreign Language Strings

10. Any (foreign) language .vbx's

11. Foreign Language

12. I want to make a foreign friend!(language partner)