Serial communication in VB without MSCOMM32.OCX ?
Author Message
 Serial communication in VB without MSCOMM32.OCX ?

I am just learning about .NET and I wonder if it is possible to access the
Windows Comm Ports without the ActiveX component MSCOMM32.OCX. Is seems
logical, but I can't find any base class.

Did I missed a class?

Hans

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:07:56 GMT
 Serial communication in VB without MSCOMM32.OCX ?
Hi,

Yes.  You can use the FileStream class.  I have example code for this in the
next edition of my book (see below -- I expect that the 3rd edition will be
out in a few weeks).  The Streams class has some limitations, unfortunately.
For that reason, I still suggest that you use MSComm32.ocx, unless there is
some overriding reason to avoid it.

--
Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:32:56 GMT
 Serial communication in VB without MSCOMM32.OCX ?
Hans,

You haven't missed anything.  There are no base classes to handle serial
IO.

Thank You,
Dale Roberson
Microsoft Developer Support

reserved.

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:20:59 GMT
 Serial communication in VB without MSCOMM32.OCX ?
Will MSComm32.ocx be included with VS .NET?

Quote:
> Hi,

> Yes.  You can use the FileStream class.  I have example code for this in
the
> next edition of my book (see below -- I expect that the 3rd edition will
be
> out in a few weeks).  The Streams class has some limitations,
unfortunately.
> For that reason, I still suggest that you use MSComm32.ocx, unless there
is
> some overriding reason to avoid it.

> --
> Richard Grier  (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
> Hard & Software
> 12962 West Louisiana Avenue
> Lakewood, CO  80228
> 303-986-2179 (voice)
> 303-986-3143 (fax)
> Leave voice mail or fax that I can receive as email at 303-593-9315
> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
> For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
> Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
> http://www.mabry.com.

Sat, 03 Apr 2004 22:04:28 GMT

1. Help: Serial Communication (MSComm32.ocx) Problem

2. Communications Control - MSCOMM16.OCX / MSCOMM32.OCX

3. Using MsComm32.ocx without loading VB

4. Serial ports under Windows NT using mscomm32.ocx

5. simple serial communication - mscomm.ocx

6. Looking for Shareware Serial Communications .OCX

7. What's the best serial communications control (OCX)

8. Looking for Shareware Serial Communications .OCX

9. serial communication ocx

10. Help Reqd on using MSCOMM32.OCX in vb.net for communication with serial ports and the device connected to them

11. VB 5.0 MSCOMM32.OCX vs. VB 4.0 MSCOMM32.OCX

12. Serial communication in access vb /Openfile dialog