Intellisense Comments
Author Message
 Intellisense Comments

Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?  For
instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

Item(index as integer) as object
    zero-based index of the element to get or set

Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item() function I
want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do that? is
that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:41:18 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Add a summary field above your function

go above your fuction and type '///' (minus the single quotes) and see what
happens.

Jason

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?
For
> instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

> Item(index as integer) as object
>     zero-based index of the element to get or set

> Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item() function
> want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do that?
is
> that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:13:42 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
That's for C#. I don't believe that'll work in VB. Does anyone know of an
equivalent?

MikeH

Quote:
> Add a summary field above your function

> go above your fuction and type '///' (minus the single quotes) and see
what
> happens.

> Jason

> > Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?
> For
> > instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

> > Item(index as integer) as object
> >     zero-based index of the element to get or set

> > Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item()
function
> > want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do that?
> is
> > that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:29:50 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Dosen't work in VB.Net I think that's only in C#

Quote:
> Add a summary field above your function

> go above your fuction and type '///' (minus the single quotes) and see
what
> happens.

> Jason

> > Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?
> For
> > instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

> > Item(index as integer) as object
> >     zero-based index of the element to get or set

> > Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item()
function
> > want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do that?
> is
> > that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:30:53 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
OH really? woops...sorry about that. I ASS U ME 'D it was for VB.NET
too...hmm...one more reason to code in C#, lol..j/k vb is cool too.

Jason

Quote:
> Dosen't work in VB.Net I think that's only in C#

> > Add a summary field above your function

> > go above your fuction and type '///' (minus the single quotes) and see
> what
> > happens.

> > Jason

> > > Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?
> > For
> > > instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

> > > Item(index as integer) as object
> > >     zero-based index of the element to get or set

> > > Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item()
> function
> > > want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do
that?
> > is
> > > that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:35:40 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Well if they had left VB.Net neutered like some of the 'Oh my poor VB6'
whinners had done I would be switching to C# but since VB.Net has been
nicely improved (and I have all that VB6 knowledge as a base) I'd like to
stick with VB.Net.

This is something so simple I hope MS didn't decide to leave it for now...

Quote:
> OH really? woops...sorry about that. I ASS U ME 'D it was for VB.NET
> too...hmm...one more reason to code in C#, lol..j/k vb is cool too.

> Jason

> > Dosen't work in VB.Net I think that's only in C#

> > > Add a summary field above your function

> > > go above your fuction and type '///' (minus the single quotes) and see
> > what
> > > happens.

> > > Jason

> > > For

> > function
> that?
> > > is

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:44:21 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Yeah, I was a long time vb6'er that moved to C#, however...I've kept up on
Vb.NET too cause I dont' really want my vb knowledge to stay on v6.0 only.

There are some things I really don't understand why they're left out of
Vb.NET, such as multi-cast delegates, XML code documentation, etc. I mean,
why not give them the same capabilities. They're both just working off the
framework really. I'll never understand certain things MS does.

Jason

Quote:
> Well if they had left VB.Net neutered like some of the 'Oh my poor VB6'
> whinners had done I would be switching to C# but since VB.Net has been
> nicely improved (and I have all that VB6 knowledge as a base) I'd like to
> stick with VB.Net.

> This is something so simple I hope MS didn't decide to leave it for now...

> > OH really? woops...sorry about that. I ASS U ME 'D it was for VB.NET
> > too...hmm...one more reason to code in C#, lol..j/k vb is cool too.

> > Jason

> > > Dosen't work in VB.Net I think that's only in C#

> > > what

> code?

> > > function
> > that?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:48:31 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Yeah I agree.. not having XML code documentation makes NO sense..

Quote:
> Yeah, I was a long time vb6'er that moved to C#, however...I've kept up on
> Vb.NET too cause I dont' really want my vb knowledge to stay on v6.0 only.

> There are some things I really don't understand why they're left out of
> Vb.NET, such as multi-cast delegates, XML code documentation, etc. I mean,
> why not give them the same capabilities. They're both just working off the
> framework really. I'll never understand certain things MS does.

> Jason

> > Well if they had left VB.Net neutered like some of the 'Oh my poor VB6'
> > whinners had done I would be switching to C# but since VB.Net has been
> > nicely improved (and I have all that VB6 knowledge as a base) I'd like
> > stick with VB.Net.

> > This is something so simple I hope MS didn't decide to leave it for
now...

> > > OH really? woops...sorry about that. I ASS U ME 'D it was for VB.NET
> > > too...hmm...one more reason to code in C#, lol..j/k vb is cool too.

> > > Jason

> see

> > code?

> > > that?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:52:03 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
Shane,
    You might try creating an xml file with the comment data in it for your
finished dll (or whatever).  If you generate the xml file in a C# project
you will see that the structure is fairly simple.  A lot of work and harder
to keep synchronized but it should be possible.  Just put the xml file in
the same location as the assembly and Intellisense should read this.  Note
that I haven't tried it personnaly just yet

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to add Intellisense type comments to VB.Net code?
For
> instance if you do ArrayList.Item( you get the following:

> Item(index as integer) as object
>     zero-based index of the element to get or set

> Now if I inhert from CollectionBase and am writing my own Item() function
> want to have the same type of information come up.  How would I do that?
is
> that even possible?

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:17:02 GMT
 Intellisense Comments
VB.NET Code documents are not valid XML so the XSL transformation that are
used for C# docs would not work in VB, this is the price VB coder pay for
having a nice readable code document!

Quote:
> Yeah I agree.. not having XML code documentation makes NO sense..

> > Yeah, I was a long time vb6'er that moved to C#, however...I've kept up
on
> > Vb.NET too cause I dont' really want my vb knowledge to stay on v6.0
only.

> > There are some things I really don't understand why they're left out of
> > Vb.NET, such as multi-cast delegates, XML code documentation, etc. I
mean,
> > why not give them the same capabilities. They're both just working off
the
> > framework really. I'll never understand certain things MS does.

> > Jason

> > > Well if they had left VB.Net neutered like some of the 'Oh my poor
VB6'
> > > whinners had done I would be switching to C# but since VB.Net has been
> > > nicely improved (and I have all that VB6 knowledge as a base) I'd like
> > > stick with VB.Net.

> > > This is something so simple I hope MS didn't decide to leave it for
> now...

and
> > see

VB.Net
> > > code?

Item()
> do

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 06:07:57 GMT

1. Intellisense <summary> comments

2. show comments in intellisense

3. Comments besides Commented Text

4. Comment on QB websites/view websites by comments .-=??=-.

5. Comments = StrConv(Comments, vbProperCase)

6. Commenting - How to comment blocks of text

7. Intellisense and RTF control

8. Intellisense in Immediate window

9. Intellisense Options.

10. Intellisense and Microsoft

11. Office XP Intellisense inconvenience

12. Declared variable, but no intellisense!