Xml Documentation for VB.NET
Author Message
 Xml Documentation for VB.NET

Does MS plan to add Xml Documentation to VB.NET before release ?
I hear that VS.NET will go gold next month ?!

Regards,
- Gotdotnet

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:24:42 GMT
 Xml Documentation for VB.NET
Quote:
> Does MS plan to add Xml Documentation to VB.NET before release ?

it doesn't lok like it.  I have just started a project in VB.net and have
asked my team to use the C# document tags and use 2 single quotes to mark
the comments for a document compiler that is yet to be written.

'' <summary>
'' comment about method
'' </summary>
public sub SomeMethod()

Either someone (or MS) will write one before we need it or we will knowck up
our own quick and dirty version.

Does anyone know if there is a style sheet to render the standard
documentaion?

Quote:
> I hear that VS.NET will go gold next month ?!

where did you hear that?

adam

Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:10:01 GMT
 Xml Documentation for VB.NET

Quote:
> Does anyone know if there is a style sheet to render the standard
> documentaion?

No.  But you any coder could do one in an hour or two as a learning
excercise.

Not a simple transform though... AFAIK, the MS XSLT transforms are only
available if input doc is valid XML, which code files are not.

----

Give it as a task to ALL your programmers to come up with their "on their
own", as a learning excercise. Why not?

Let them cheat and help each other.  Like a normal project <g>.  That way
they find out for themselves who can walk the walk, and who's all buzzwords.
Set the informal resource and authority structure going forward <g>!

You'll identify who's ready to roll now, who needs a bit of help, and get
everyone on the same page, identify your resource people and skillsets....
in one clever management move <g>.

----

Architecture:

I'd consider writing a VB component to perform the transforms, since VB code
modules are not valid XML that can be transformed with XSLT.

My idea would be, open the .PROJ file, and use XML readers to parse the
paths of all the code files.  (.PROJ file is valid XML)

Iterate over the code modules using the regexp to extract XML blocks, since
they are not valid XML themselves.

Use a simple regular expression (System.Text.RegularExpressions) in VB.  A
single regular expression could "OR" the valid doc tags e.g.
(tag|tag|tag|tag), and use a back reference  e.g. \1 to chop out all XML doc
chunks with a single expression.

Iterate over the resulting blocks using XML/XSLT classes, generate HTML
(assuming that's your output).  That'll get the newbies into dotnet with a
bang, I bet.

regards
Richard.

--
---
Hate spam? Do what you can: www.spamcop.net customer

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:07:55 GMT

1. XML documentation in VB.Net

2. XML documentation in VB.NET

3. XML Documentation in VB.NET

4. XML Documentation in VB.NET

5. XML Documentation feature in supported in VB.NET?

6. Date problems with XML in ASP.NET / VB.NET- newbie question

7. xml documentation for vb?

8. VB and XML Documentation

9. VB.DOC 0.25 has been released - XML comments for VB.NET

10. Documentation Comments for VB.NET

11. Object Browser Documentation with VB.Net

12. Printed Documentation for VB.NET