Windows Installer
Author Message
 Windows Installer

Is there any way to make the windows installer overwrite an earlier version
of the same installation?

After I package my desktop app into an msi file, if I already have an
earlier version of the app installed, the windows installer insists that I
first remove the old version via Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.

Is there some way to tell the installer to just overlay the old version?

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:35:10 GMT
 Windows Installer
Hi, Cliff,
  To change this (assuming you're using Visual Studio to create your MSI):

- Select the deployment project in the solution explorer.
- Bring up the property grid.
- Look for the RemovePreviousVersions property and set it to FALSE.

Hope this helps!
--Matt Gertz--*
VB
--------------------

Quote:

> Subject: Windows Installer
> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:35:10 -0400

> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> Is there any way to make the windows installer overwrite an earlier
version
> of the same installation?

> After I package my desktop app into an msi file, if I already have an
> earlier version of the app installed, the windows installer insists that I
> first remove the old version via Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.

> Is there some way to tell the installer to just overlay the old version?

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:34:29 GMT
 Windows Installer
Thanks Matt.    I have tried all combinations of setting the true/false
values of   "DetectNewerInstalledVersion" and "RemovePreviousVersion" and it
seems to make no difference.   I guess this will just be one of those
problems that eats away at me for a while.

    Thanks again,,,,,,Cliff

Quote:
> Hi, Cliff,
>   To change this (assuming you're using Visual Studio to create your MSI):

> - Select the deployment project in the solution explorer.
> - Bring up the property grid.
> - Look for the RemovePreviousVersions property and set it to FALSE.

> Hope this helps!
> --Matt Gertz--*
> VB
> --------------------

> > Subject: Windows Installer
> > Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:35:10 -0400

> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> > Is there any way to make the windows installer overwrite an earlier
> version
> > of the same installation?

> > After I package my desktop app into an msi file, if I already have an
> > earlier version of the app installed, the windows installer insists that
> > first remove the old version via Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.

> > Is there some way to tell the installer to just overlay the old version?

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:22:41 GMT
 Windows Installer
Hi, Cliff,
  Understood.  I'd still like to help you get through this problem if
possible.  Some questions:

(1) Which OS are you using?
(2) Is there any possibility that you might be installing under different
accounts/permissions?
(3) Do you have access to the "Orca" tool for viewing MSIs?  It's available
from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/set...,
 and helps you to analyze problems with your MSI.  You can use this to look
at the properties which actually get placed into the MSI.  You can also use
it to tweak your MSI if necessary.

Given that information, the next step is to discuss this with the Windows
Installer Team over on the Windows forums (they'll want to know the answers
to the questions I ask above).  Then they can narrow down the problem to
see if either MSI generation or consumption is the issue.

Hope we can get you going!
  --Matt--*
--------------------

Quote:
> Subject: Re: Windows Installer
> Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:22:41 -0400

> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> Thanks Matt.    I have tried all combinations of setting the true/false
> values of   "DetectNewerInstalledVersion" and "RemovePreviousVersion" and
it
> seems to make no difference.   I guess this will just be one of those
> problems that eats away at me for a while.

>     Thanks again,,,,,,Cliff

> > Hi, Cliff,
> >   To change this (assuming you're using Visual Studio to create your
MSI):

> > - Select the deployment project in the solution explorer.
> > - Bring up the property grid.
> > - Look for the RemovePreviousVersions property and set it to FALSE.

> > Hope this helps!
> > --Matt Gertz--*
> > VB
> > --------------------

> > > Subject: Windows Installer
> > > Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:35:10 -0400

> > > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

> > > Is there any way to make the windows installer overwrite an earlier
> > version
> > > of the same installation?

> > > After I package my desktop app into an msi file, if I already have an
> > > earlier version of the app installed, the windows installer insists
that
> > > first remove the old version via Control Panel / Add Remove Programs.

> > > Is there some way to tell the installer to just overlay the old
version?

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:21:40 GMT

1. Windows Installer or Script based installer????

2. 97 Linked Table Manager brings up A2k Windows Installer

3. Disabling Windows Installer when opening word.

4. get windows installer version in vb.net app

5. .NET / windows installer Repair/Remove

6. VB.net and Windows Installer

7. Need Help on Windows Installer Here!

8. Windows Installer launching during build

9. Windows Installer

10. WISE WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.5 SERIAL NUMBER

11. 2355 error on using windows installer with vb assistant

12. vs.net, VS6 and installshield for windows installer