.net on win95? CLR is a joke.
Author Message
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

-SX

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:26:46 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
Win95 is dead ! Long live XP !

Quote:
> I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

> Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
> 95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

> -SX

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:56:30 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
In all honesty...this is probably the thing that LEAST bothered me about
.NET.  95 is 7 years old.  That's too long in the IT world.  Glad to see 95
go.

Jim

Quote:
> I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

> Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
> 95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

> -SX

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:09:19 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
I agree, but I need to know of a 95 solution as well.  My corporation has
about 40,000 employees and more than half are still on 95 and will not be
moved to 2000 anytime soon.  I'd hate to develop my current ap and only have
the Win 2000 user only able to use it.

Has anyone actually tried to install the .Net Framework on a Win95 system?

Quote:
> In all honesty...this is probably the thing that LEAST bothered me about
> .NET.  95 is 7 years old.  That's too long in the IT world.  Glad to see
95
> go.

> Jim

> > I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> > distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> > with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> > horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> > non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> > another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

> > Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
> > 95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

> > -SX

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:33:00 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
Guess you are stuck with Com

.Net will not run on 95.

ASP.Net is as close as you are going to get.

Joe

Quote:
> I agree, but I need to know of a 95 solution as well.  My corporation has
> about 40,000 employees and more than half are still on 95 and will not be
> moved to 2000 anytime soon.  I'd hate to develop my current ap and only
have
> the Win 2000 user only able to use it.

> Has anyone actually tried to install the .Net Framework on a Win95 system?

> > In all honesty...this is probably the thing that LEAST bothered me about
> > .NET.  95 is 7 years old.  That's too long in the IT world.  Glad to see
> 95
> > go.

> > Jim

> > > I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> > > distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> > > with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> > > horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> > > non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> > > another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

> > > Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
> > > 95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

> > > -SX

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:53:51 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

Quote:
> I agree, but I need to know of a 95 solution as well.  My corporation has
> about 40,000 employees and more than half are still on 95 and will not be
> moved to 2000 anytime soon.  I'd hate to develop my current ap and only
have
> the Win 2000 user only able to use it.

You do realize that Microsoft no longer supports Windows 95, correct? I
can't imagine having 20,000 users on a system no longer supported by the
manufacturer. That seems insane.

--
Dave Rothgery

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:53:45 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
You could convert whatever app you need to run on the 95 platform to an
ASP.Net application, thereby cutting out the client.  Or, you could run your
.Net client app in a MS Terminal Server session.

As an aside, I read an article a few years back that compared various Java
VMs ability to run a standard Sun-developed applet.  The only VM that ran
that applet without error was the MS VM!  Pretty funny stuff.
Karl L. Houseknecht, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA

Quote:
> I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:30:12 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
We've also got several thousands of Win95 systems that probably won't be
replaced ever (as long as not the entire machines are replaced).

Quote:

> > I agree, but I need to know of a 95 solution as well.  My corporation
has
> > about 40,000 employees and more than half are still on 95 and will not
be
> > moved to 2000 anytime soon.  I'd hate to develop my current ap and only
> have
> > the Win 2000 user only able to use it.

> You do realize that Microsoft no longer supports Windows 95, correct? I
> can't imagine having 20,000 users on a system no longer supported by the
> manufacturer. That seems insane.

> --
> Dave Rothgery

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:25:02 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
tell that to thousands of buisness which run 95

dont even get me started on the Many buisness that are running 3.11

there is little to no incentive for souch buisness to "upgrade" to 98,
2000 XP. there running small buisness software, and compared to what
they are usng 486, with Pentium Class Servers. these "upgrades" require
comparative Super Computers

steve

Quote:
> In all honesty...this is probably the thing that LEAST bothered me about
> .NET.  95 is 7 years old.  That's too long in the IT world.  Glad to see 95
> go.

> Jim

> > I read somewhere that MS made the .net CLR, so it could be easily
> > distrobutible to different platforms. But apparently it only works
> > with 98+. Have they considered that their competition (although
> > horribly slow), java, has VM that runs on almost any OS, including
> > non-Microsoft systems? How hard are they trying to compete here? Just
> > another way to force people to upgrade I guess.

> > Enough babbling. If someone comes up with a way to run .net apps in
> > 95, let me know. Whether it be a hack or whatever.

> > -SX

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:41:37 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

Quote:
> there is little to no incentive for souch buisness to "upgrade" to 98,
> 2000 XP.

Well now there is ;-).

Jim

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:25:02 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
All joking aside....

The whole notion of the teeming millions who refuyse to upgrade to a more
recent OS than Win95 yet want to be on the bleedoing edge in terms of app.
compatibility os just downright stupid.

The only joke is on these poor companies and their Dilbert-esque management
strategies and their idiotic attempts to save money by keeping their old
Model "T" yet buying the newest and highest octane super unleaded (not
realizing that the two are not compatible even as they congratulate
themselves on their thriftiness).

They actually invented the phrase "Penny wise, but pound foolish" for these
people.

--
MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.  -- http://www.trigeminal.com/

International VB? -- http://www.i18nWithVB.com/
C++? MSLU -- http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/

Quote:
> > there is little to no incentive for souch buisness to "upgrade" to 98,
> > 2000 XP.

> Well now there is ;-).

> Jim

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:40:19 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

wrote...

Quote:
> All joking aside....

Seriously MichKa... if you put "all joking aside" some of these postings
have no value whatsoever :-)

Quote:
> They actually invented the phrase "Penny wise, but pound foolish" for
these
> people.

This is where we see the "$90 for an OS upgrade??? Do they think I'm made of
money?" replies :-)

Personally, I've decided to let the folks who just complain, complain.
There is no rationalizing with them, they "know" we just don't understand.

Take care,

Tom Leylan
www.leylan.com

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:36:25 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

Quote:
> > They actually invented the phrase "Penny wise, but pound foolish" for
> these
> > people.

> This is where we see the "$90 for an OS upgrade??? Do they think I'm made
of
> money?" replies :-)

I think we are talking companys for which upgrading there systems (talking
100s of PCs) would cost a lot due to the number of licences required.

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:06:11 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.

Quote:

> I think we are talking companys for which upgrading there systems (talking
> 100s of PCs) would cost a lot due to the number of licences required.

Lee:  Cost a lot?

Economically speaking it is just one of the many costs of doing business.
Take an example of a company with 200 PCs.  They purchased 200 computers,
quite close to that number of printers, copies of software, etc. that is
quite a chunk of change.  They pay 200 salaries, 200 holiday and vacation
payments, etc.  So now they can choose to add 200 * $99 to the list of costs
like desks, coffee and such.  If they don't want to buy new monitors they
don't have to, if they don't want to run DotNet they can stick with Win '95.

What exactly were they hoping that they could charge whatever they wanted
for their products and services but everybody who supplies them with things
have to give it to them for free?  Does Intel owe them free Pentium upgrades
because it cuts into their bottom line?

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:08:43 GMT
 .net on win95? CLR is a joke.
Thomas/Tom, whatever your real name is... Ok, so you have a point . Never
mind.

Quote:

> > I think we are talking companys for which upgrading there systems
(talking
> > 100s of PCs) would cost a lot due to the number of licences required.

> Lee:  Cost a lot?

> Economically speaking it is just one of the many costs of doing business.
> Take an example of a company with 200 PCs.  They purchased 200 computers,
> quite close to that number of printers, copies of software, etc. that is
> quite a chunk of change.  They pay 200 salaries, 200 holiday and vacation
> payments, etc.  So now they can choose to add 200 * $99 to the list of
costs
> like desks, coffee and such.  If they don't want to buy new monitors they
> don't have to, if they don't want to run DotNet they can stick with Win
'95.

> What exactly were they hoping that they could charge whatever they wanted
> for their products and services but everybody who supplies them with
things
> have to give it to them for free?  Does Intel owe them free Pentium
upgrades
> because it cuts into their bottom line?

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:28:02 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Mac .NET CLR

2. CLR/.NET Dev Tools

3. .NET CLR And IE 6

4. Enhancements to the VB language and .NET CLR before release

6. vb.net - a joke?

7. i am using vb.net and crystal reports for visual studio.net

8. I am writing a book about VB .NET, and I need your help you

9. I am still confused with using ADO.Net

10. Auto installation of CLR

11. CLR

12. CLR Debugging Services - Registered JIT Debugger is not Available