how to handle user's screen size?
Author Message
 how to handle user's screen size?

now that my program is working, I notice that there are 2 common display
resolution modes, 800x600 and 1024x768

is there a way to either force the display to one resolution such as
800x600? or can it be detected so I call one of 2 separate programs to
handle the screen size?

does it matter?

thanks

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 02:42:46 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
You can trap screen resolution changes using
SystenEvents.DisplaySettingsChanged event, it is contained on System.Win32
namespace.

HTH

--
Corrado Cavalli
UGIdotNET - http://www.ugidotnet.org

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 02:57:54 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
Thanks for that,

but is there some way to:

detect displaySettings

if  NOT system.displaySettings  = (800x600) then

   public var MydisplaySettings = system.displaySettings()
   system.displaySettings = new system.displayResolution(800x600)

endif

on exit:
   system.displayResolution = MydisplaySettings()
'to put the screen back where it was

is this wrong to do? (despite the loose nomenclature of code)  was this done
away with after the windows3.11 days?

its just that if the user was in high resolution mode, I would use the extra
screen space, or at least make my program appear balanced, in high res mode,
there is extra room on the left and bottom, if the borders looked normal,
then that would probably be ok

thanks again

Quote:
> You can trap screen resolution changes using
> SystenEvents.DisplaySettingsChanged event, it is contained on System.Win32
> namespace.

> HTH

> --
> Corrado Cavalli
> UGIdotNET - http://www.ugidotnet.org

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:39:27 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?

Quote:
> now that my program is working, I notice that there are 2 common display
> resolution modes, 800x600 and 1024x768

> is there a way to either force the display to one resolution such as
> 800x600? or can it be detected so I call one of 2 separate programs to
> handle the screen size?

> does it matter?

> thanks

Dim X As Short = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Width
Dim Y As Short = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Height
MsgBox(X & " X " & Y)

---
VBnet4Apps
http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps/

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 04:10:37 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
Unless you're writing non-windowed fullscreen games don't adjust the
windows screen size. It's windows, you're in a window that's all that
matters.

Screen size is generally handled as a "minimum recommended" issue. In
other words your app may not look very good unless displayed full
screen at 800x600. However if I'm running at 1024x768 I can still
display it in a smaller window, or bigger and have more screen real
estate within the app.

Remember there are many, many screen resolutions. 800x600 and 1024x768
are just two. Personally I run at 1280x1024, I've seen laptops that
have odd-size resolutions like 1280x600. And that's all irrelevant if
I shrink your apps window to a 200x200 box in corner.

The best practice is to not worry about the screen size. Pay attention
to the apps window size, and work within as large a range as you can.
Let your users resize to their liking, don't force them into something
they're not comfortable with.

Remember there are a lot of hardware and software configurations out
there. Lots of users have trouble seeing at small resolutions too.
800x600 is a fairly safe bet for an app, but there are still lots of
640x480 users out there too. Be flexible, set a minimum you'd like
your users to use, but don't assume that's what is being used.

-Andy

Andy Johns
Senior Consultant-Architect
Magenic Technologies

Quote:

> now that my program is working, I notice that there are 2 common display
> resolution modes, 800x600 and 1024x768

> is there a way to either force the display to one resolution such as
> 800x600? or can it be detected so I call one of 2 separate programs to
> handle the screen size?

> does it matter?

> thanks

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:18:30 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
The only software that stays on my machine that resizes my screen are games.
If any other type of software was to resize my screen - recycle bin here it
comes!  To resize the screen these days is the height of rudeness.  I run on
a 21" monitor and like to have the resolution jacked way up (the wife hates
it when I run at 1600x1200 ;)).  Therefore, I would say that you should
resize you applications, not my screen.

HTH

David

P.S.  By the way, I am a professional programmer, so I understand the
issues.  But do not resize my screen!

Quote:
> Thanks for that,

> but is there some way to:

> detect displaySettings

> if  NOT system.displaySettings  = (800x600) then

>    public var MydisplaySettings = system.displaySettings()
>    system.displaySettings = new system.displayResolution(800x600)

> endif

> on exit:
>    system.displayResolution = MydisplaySettings()
> 'to put the screen back where it was

> is this wrong to do? (despite the loose nomenclature of code)  was this
done
> away with after the windows3.11 days?

> its just that if the user was in high resolution mode, I would use the
extra
> screen space, or at least make my program appear balanced, in high res
mode,
> there is extra room on the left and bottom, if the borders looked normal,
> then that would probably be ok

> thanks again

> > You can trap screen resolution changes using
> > SystenEvents.DisplaySettingsChanged event, it is contained on
System.Win32
> > namespace.

> > HTH

> > --
> > Corrado Cavalli
> > UGIdotNET - http://www.ugidotnet.org

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:40:30 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
Hey, thats great feedback, thanks.  just what Im looking for, open criticism
with the facts.  I want people to tell me they hate my software and why.

thank you

I will not change your screensize (holding right hand up)

Quote:
> The only software that stays on my machine that resizes my screen are
games.
> If any other type of software was to resize my screen - recycle bin here
it
> comes!  To resize the screen these days is the height of rudeness.  I run
on
> a 21" monitor and like to have the resolution jacked way up (the wife
hates
> it when I run at 1600x1200 ;)).  Therefore, I would say that you should
> resize you applications, not my screen.

> HTH

> David

> P.S.  By the way, I am a professional programmer, so I understand the
> issues.  But do not resize my screen!

> > Thanks for that,

> > but is there some way to:

> > detect displaySettings

> > if  NOT system.displaySettings  = (800x600) then

> >    public var MydisplaySettings = system.displaySettings()
> >    system.displaySettings = new system.displayResolution(800x600)

> > endif

> > on exit:
> >    system.displayResolution = MydisplaySettings()
> > 'to put the screen back where it was

> > is this wrong to do? (despite the loose nomenclature of code)  was this
> done
> > away with after the windows3.11 days?

> > its just that if the user was in high resolution mode, I would use the
> extra
> > screen space, or at least make my program appear balanced, in high res
> mode,
> > there is extra room on the left and bottom, if the borders looked
normal,
> > then that would probably be ok

> > thanks again

> > > You can trap screen resolution changes using
> > > SystenEvents.DisplaySettingsChanged event, it is contained on
> System.Win32
> > > namespace.

> > > HTH

> > > --
> > > Corrado Cavalli
> > > UGIdotNET - http://www.ugidotnet.org

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:26:34 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
Thanks very much for that.

Quote:

> > now that my program is working, I notice that there are 2 common display
> > resolution modes, 800x600 and 1024x768

> > is there a way to either force the display to one resolution such as
> > 800x600? or can it be detected so I call one of 2 separate programs to
> > handle the screen size?

> > does it matter?

> > thanks

> Dim X As Short = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Width
> Dim Y As Short = System.Windows.Forms.Screen.PrimaryScreen.Bounds.Height
> MsgBox(X & " X " & Y)

> ---
> VBnet4Apps
> http://www.avenuezx.com/vbnet4apps/

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:27:34 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
Hey I appreciate that.  so perhaps then, what Im seeing is that I should run
a program that tests the system and screensize and if things are not within
bounds, send a message to the screen that says: recommended setting is "x *
y"

Im hoping to buy up some old, used computer systems of various
configurations and use them to test my software, since they have random
settings and installs I have no clue about.

for now, Ill just let it go as-is and see if there are complaints about it.

thanks for the input.

Quote:
> Unless you're writing non-windowed fullscreen games don't adjust the
> windows screen size. It's windows, you're in a window that's all that
> matters.

> Screen size is generally handled as a "minimum recommended" issue. In
> other words your app may not look very good unless displayed full
> screen at 800x600. However if I'm running at 1024x768 I can still
> display it in a smaller window, or bigger and have more screen real
> estate within the app.

> Remember there are many, many screen resolutions. 800x600 and 1024x768
> are just two. Personally I run at 1280x1024, I've seen laptops that
> have odd-size resolutions like 1280x600. And that's all irrelevant if
> I shrink your apps window to a 200x200 box in corner.

> The best practice is to not worry about the screen size. Pay attention
> to the apps window size, and work within as large a range as you can.
> Let your users resize to their liking, don't force them into something
> they're not comfortable with.

> Remember there are a lot of hardware and software configurations out
> there. Lots of users have trouble seeing at small resolutions too.
> 800x600 is a fairly safe bet for an app, but there are still lots of
> 640x480 users out there too. Be flexible, set a minimum you'd like
> your users to use, but don't assume that's what is being used.

> -Andy

> Andy Johns
> Senior Consultant-Architect
> Magenic Technologies

> > now that my program is working, I notice that there are 2 common display
> > resolution modes, 800x600 and 1024x768

> > is there a way to either force the display to one resolution such as
> > 800x600? or can it be detected so I call one of 2 separate programs to
> > handle the screen size?

> > does it matter?

> > thanks

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:34:30 GMT
 how to handle user's screen size?
FYI, you may want to investigate vmware (see http://www.vmware.com) for
testing your software. Imagine being able to run many, many separate OS's in
windowed (or fullscreen) form on your development machine... =)

Bob

Quote:
> Hey I appreciate that.  so perhaps then, what Im seeing is that I should
run
> a program that tests the system and screensize and if things are not
within
> bounds, send a message to the screen that says: recommended setting is "x
*
> y"

> Im hoping to buy up some old, used computer systems of various
> configurations and use them to test my software, since they have random
> settings and installs I have no clue about.

> for now, Ill just let it go as-is and see if there are complaints about
it.

> thanks for the input.

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:48:28 GMT

1. Enlarging form to user's screen size

2. What's the max size of BMP file VB 4.0 can handle

3. get the screen's size

4. can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

5. can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

6. Screen Resolution's and Scalable Form size

7. Determining user's screen resolution at runtime

8. Adjust forms to users' screen resolution

9. extract the user's current screen resoulution

10. Displaying critical alarms on a user's screen

11. HELP - Is user's screen saver enabled???

12. Manipulate user's screen saver???