Location of service binary and external references
Author Message
 Location of service binary and external references

I have a service written in vb.net that calls another assembly I've written
for event logging.  The event component is compiled with a strong name.
When I install and run the service from the bin directory of the project
everything works great...  When I make a copy of the service exe in another
directory and install it as a separate instance of the service (using
instsrv from the reskit), it can no longer find the reference to the event
assembly.  Error: "File or assembly name e3event, or one of its
dependencies, was not found."

Any ideas?

 - Paul

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:58:30 GMT
 Location of service binary and external references
For anyone that's interested...

I walked away from the issue for a couple of weeks while I worked on
something else, and what do you know I saw the writing on the wall
immediately!  The bin directory had a local copy of the event dll and I did
not copy it to the directory containing the second instance of the
service...  I hadn't registered the event dll in the GAC so the second
instance didn't have the foggiest idea of where to look for it.  Once I
copied the dll to the other folder everything started working....imagine
that!

 - Paul

Quote:
> I have a service written in vb.net that calls another assembly I've
written
> for event logging.  The event component is compiled with a strong name.
> When I install and run the service from the bin directory of the project
> everything works great...  When I make a copy of the service exe in
another
> directory and install it as a separate instance of the service (using
> instsrv from the reskit), it can no longer find the reference to the event
> assembly.  Error: "File or assembly name e3event, or one of its
> dependencies, was not found."

> Any ideas?

>  - Paul

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:15:03 GMT

1. Project References Vs Binary References

2. How to add new record to table in external location

3. Find external program location

4. Getting references from external db

5. External References in EXCEL

6. Referencing external app from within WebMethod - Help!

7. how to programatically determine external references in an excel spreadsheet

8. References and their file location

9. HELP! References in a different location

10. Referencing OLE field linked file location

11. Transferring binary image from a web service

12. Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java