edit names on menu doesn't work
Author Message
 edit names on menu doesn't work

If I add a mainmenu to a form and add a menu item to the
menu, then right click and check edit names so the menu
item names are shown, then click on the menu item and
change the name of the menu item, it does not actually
change the menu item name in the properties box.

Is this a bug, or am I doing somenthing wrong?

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:55:37 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
I've followed the same steps and cannot reproduce the behavior you are
seeing; the name always changes in the property window.

Further, I've researched the problem in our databases and can find no
record of a known issue of this type.

Try this with a new form in a new project, so we can see if it's related to
something done in a particular project. If it is, please post the form code
and I'll see if it reproduces.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:06:27 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work

I did as you requested and it worked fine in a new
project on a new form.
Then I added an existing form (frmmain.vb)(attached to
this post) that I was having trouble with and it does not
work in the new project either

Quote:

confers no rights.

>Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft

Strategic Technology

>Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool
Kit, please visit
>http://www.microsoft.com/security.

>.

  frmMain.vb
12K Download

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 02:05:57 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
Are you using SP2 of the .NET framework? I read something in
discuss.develop.com that this feature is broken after you apply SP2.

Urs

Quote:
> I did as you requested and it worked fine in a new
> project on a new form.
> Then I added an existing form (frmmain.vb)(attached to
> this post) that I was having trouble with and it does not
> work in the new project either

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:25:47 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
I've applied SP2 and the feature does still work.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:42:36 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
I am using sp2.
I did as you requested and it worked fine in a new
project on a new form.
Then I added an existing form (frmmain.vb)(attached to
this post) that I was having trouble with and it does not
work in the new project either.

Below is the code for the form that doesn't work:

Imports System.Data.OleDb
Imports System.IO
Imports System.Drawing.Printing

Public Class frmMain
  Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

#Region " Windows Form Designer generated code "

  Public Sub New()
    MyBase.New()

    'This call is required by the Windows Form Designer.
    InitializeComponent()

    'Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent
() call

  End Sub

  'Form overrides dispose to clean up the component list.
  Protected Overloads Overrides Sub Dispose(ByVal
disposing As Boolean)
    If disposing Then
      If Not (components Is Nothing) Then
        components.Dispose()
      End If
    End If
    MyBase.Dispose(disposing)
  End Sub

  'Required by the Windows Form Designer
  Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

  'NOTE: The following procedure is required by the
Windows Form Designer
  'It can be modified using the Windows Form Designer.
  Friend WithEvents MainMenu1 As
System.Windows.Forms.MainMenu
  Friend WithEvents miFile As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miEdit As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miSearch As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miHistory As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miAdministrate As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miDBSetup As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miHelp As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miAbout As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents MenuItem6 As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents MenuItem12 As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents MenuItem16 As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miExit As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miCreateNew As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miMakeFrom As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miRevise As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miCut As System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miCopy As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPaste As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miInsert As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPageSetup As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents MenuItem5 As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miSave As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miDelete As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPrint As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPrintPreview As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miDeleteText As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miUsers As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miTooling As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miAssignTooling As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miBackwardComp As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miAlias As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miOperations As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miClasses As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miAreas As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miEditTooling As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPaths As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miRevisions As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPartNumbers As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miOpAreaClassCombinations As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miHelpFiles As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miSearchRecipe As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  Friend WithEvents miPictures As
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
  <System.Diagnostics.De{*filter*}StepThrough()> Private Sub
InitializeComponent()
    Dim resources As System.Resources.ResourceManager =
New System.Resources.ResourceManager(GetType(frmMain))
    Me.MainMenu1 = New System.Windows.Forms.MainMenu()
    Me.miFile = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miSave = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.MenuItem5 = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPageSetup = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPrintPreview = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
()
    Me.miPrint = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.MenuItem6 = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miDelete = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miExit = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miEdit = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miCreateNew = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miMakeFrom = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miRevise = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.MenuItem12 = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miDeleteText = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miCut = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miCopy = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPaste = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.MenuItem16 = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miInsert = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miSearch = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miSearchRecipe = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
()
    Me.miHistory = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miTooling = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miEditTooling = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miAssignTooling = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
()
    Me.miAdministrate = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
()
    Me.miDBSetup = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miUsers = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miBackwardComp = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem
()
    Me.miAlias = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miOperations = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miAreas = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miClasses = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPaths = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miRevisions = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPartNumbers = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miOpAreaClassCombinations = New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miHelpFiles = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miHelp = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miAbout = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    Me.miPictures = New System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem()
    '
    'MainMenu1
    '
    Me.MainMenu1.MenuItems.AddRange(New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem() {Me.miFile, Me.miEdit,
Me.miSearch, Me.miHistory, Me.miTooling,
Me.miAdministrate, Me.miHelp, Me.miAbout})
    '
    'miFile
    '
    Me.miFile.Index = 0
    Me.miFile.MenuItems.AddRange(New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem() {Me.miSave, Me.MenuItem5,
Me.miPageSetup, Me.miPrintPreview, Me.miPrint,
Me.MenuItem6, Me.miDelete, Me.miExit})
    Me.miFile.Text = "&File"
    '
    'miSave
    '
    Me.miSave.Index = 0
    Me.miSave.Text = "&Save"
    '
    'MenuItem5
    '
    Me.MenuItem5.Index = 1
    Me.MenuItem5.Text = "-"
    '
    'miPageSetup
    '
    Me.miPageSetup.Index = 2
    Me.miPageSetup.Text = "P&age Setup"
    '
    'miPrintPreview
    '
    Me.miPrintPreview.Index = 3
    Me.miPrintPreview.Text = "Print Previe&w"
    '
    'miPrint
    '
    Me.miPrint.Index = 4
    Me.miPrint.Text = "&Print"
    '
    'MenuItem6
    '
    Me.MenuItem6.Index = 5
    Me.MenuItem6.Text = "-"
    '
    'miDelete
    '
    Me.miDelete.Index = 6
    Me.miDelete.Text = "&Delete Recipe"
    '
    'miExit
    '
    Me.miExit.Index = 7
    Me.miExit.Text = "E&xit"
    '
    'miEdit
    '
    Me.miEdit.Index = 1
    Me.miEdit.MenuItems.AddRange(New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem() {Me.miCreateNew,
Me.miMakeFrom, Me.miRevise, Me.MenuItem12,
Me.miDeleteText, Me.miCut, Me.miCopy, Me.miPaste,
Me.MenuItem16, Me.miInsert})
    Me.miEdit.Text = "&Edit"
    '
    'miCreateNew
    '
    Me.miCreateNew.Index = 0
    Me.miCreateNew.Text = "Create &New"
    '
    'miMakeFrom
    '
    Me.miMakeFrom.Index = 1
    Me.miMakeFrom.Text = "&Make From"
    '
    'miRevise
    '
    Me.miRevise.Index = 2
    Me.miRevise.Text = "&Revise"
    '
    'MenuItem12
    '
    Me.MenuItem12.Index = 3
    Me.MenuItem12.Text = "-"
    '
    'miDeleteText
    '
    Me.miDeleteText.Index = 4
    Me.miDeleteText.Text = "&Delete"
    '
    'miCut
    '
    Me.miCut.Index = 5
    Me.miCut.Shortcut =
System.Windows.Forms.Shortcut.CtrlX
    Me.miCut.Text = "Cu&t"
    '
    'miCopy
    '
    Me.miCopy.Index = 6
    Me.miCopy.Shortcut =
System.Windows.Forms.Shortcut.CtrlC
    Me.miCopy.Text = "&Copy"
    '
    'miPaste
    '
    Me.miPaste.Index = 7
    Me.miPaste.Shortcut =
System.Windows.Forms.Shortcut.CtrlV
    Me.miPaste.Text = "&Paste"
    '
    'MenuItem16
    '
    Me.MenuItem16.Index = 8
    Me.MenuItem16.Text = "-"
    '
    'miInsert
    '
    Me.miInsert.Index = 9
    Me.miInsert.Text = "&Insert Picture"
    '
    'miSearch
    '
    Me.miSearch.Index = 2
    Me.miSearch.MenuItems.AddRange(New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem() {Me.miSearchRecipe})
    Me.miSearch.Text = "&Search"
    '
    'miSearchRecipe
    '
    Me.miSearchRecipe.Index = 0
    Me.miSearchRecipe.Text = "&Recipe"
    '
    'miHistory
    '
    Me.miHistory.Index = 3
    Me.miHistory.Text = "&History"
    '
    'miTooling
    '
    Me.miTooling.Index = 4
    Me.miTooling.MenuItems.AddRange(New
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem() {Me.miEditTooling,
Me.miAssignTooling})
    Me.miTooling.Text = "&Tooling"
    '
    'miEditTooling
    '
    Me.miEditTooling.Index = 0
    Me.miEditTooling.Text = "&Edit Tooling"
    '
    'miAssignTooling
    '
    Me.miAssignTooling.Index = 1
    Me.miAssignTooling.Text = "&Assign Tooling To
Area/Class"
    '
    'miAdministrate
    '
    Me.miAdministrate.Index = 5

read more »

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:50:23 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
I've gotten the same results; and further, just pasting the windows forms
generated code section into a new form also retains the odd behavior. I've
studied your generated code and compared it to good menu code, and for all
I can see, it would appear to be identical. Further, I've recreated the
entire menu structure from scratch, and after working for a short while,
the naming behavior starts occurring.

There must be some combination of characters or punctuation (it's not the
ampersands, because I removed them all, or the slashes in the menu item
names) that throws off the parser that searches for the string to replace
in the code.

Of course, just changing the name in the properties window works around the
problem. I'll go ahead and try to get repro steps for our developers and
log the behavior.

Thanks for posting; I regret I don't have an answer at this point on how to
eliminate the problem.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:02:37 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work

Quote:
> I did as you requested and it worked fine in a new
> project on a new form.
> Then I added an existing form (frmmain.vb)(attached to
> this post) that I was having trouble with and it does not
> work in the new project either

I can reproduce the problem here (SP1 still). I added your frmmain.vb to a
new project, changed the name "miSave" to "miSae", pressed Enter and
selected the item again but the property window still shows the old name.

Screenshot here
http://people.freenet.de/armin.zingler/vside.JPG

(don't forget to resize to real size in IE6 otherwise unreadable ;-)

Armin

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:09:13 GMT
 edit names on menu doesn't work
I think the best we can offer is to change the name in the properties
window instead of doing so with the Edit Names functionality.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:52:52 GMT

1. Edit links command doesn't always work

2. Sheridan grid + dropdown: Edit doesn't work

3. Edit Name won't work for MenuItem

4. Form menu editor doesn't work right??

5. fRefreshLinks Doesn't work if path doesn't exist

6. Doesn't recognize name or names

7. Changing control name of button doesn't change event name to be the same

8. Windows Service Calling VB6 dll doesn't work but works with VB6

9. IE3 doesn't work after working with webbrowser control

10. Why LoadPicture() works on local pathes and doesn't work on the URLS

11. Work Around doesn't work for RichTextBox

12. Passing a Parameter its works and it doesn't work