Why so many exe's ?
Author Message
 Why so many exe's ?

I am learning vb.net and am trying to get my head around the files/folders
that the IDE creates when you create a new solution. I have found
inforamtion on the .suo/.sln files in the main solution folder and the
vbproj/vb files etc in the project folder but information on the bin and
debug folders is eluding me (cant find it in help). Are there any articles
that specify the contents/information on why the file struture created buy
the IDE is what it is.

Having created a solution/project, compiled/debug, compiled/release I have
explored the files created and have noticed that after this I have three
.exe files that appear to be exactly the same. One .exe in bin, one in
obj/debug and one in obj/release. It seems obvious why the debug and release
ones are there, but what is the one in bin for. Trying out an menu example
with icons it tells me to put the .ico files in the bin folder, so it seems
this is the main .exe ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:19:13 GMT
 Why so many exe's ?
Hi,

Check out

ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vsintro7/html/vxurfConfigurationBuildTab-ProjectPropertiesPage.htm

The part you are asking about is under "Output path"

Shawn

Quote:

--
-----------------------
Shawn Shelton

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:51:13 GMT
 Why so many exe's ?
The "bin" folder is the default location for your final executables to be
placed when compiling in debug configuration.  (The default build
configuration when you create a new project.)

The "obj\Debug" folder is where the compiler actually creates the
intermediate files when building in debug configuration.  These intermediate
files are copied to the "bin" folder when the build is complete, along with
any .NET assemblies that the executable is dependent on, but aren't part of
the Framework.

The "release" folder contains a "bin" folder that is the default location
for your final executables to be placed when compiling in release
configuration.  The default release configuration has optimizations turned
on and does not place debug hooks in the final executable.

The "obj\Release" folder is the same as the "obj\Debug" folder, except that
it is used for building the release version.

--
Toby Herring
Software Architects, Inc.

Quote:
> I am learning vb.net and am trying to get my head around the files/folders
> that the IDE creates when you create a new solution. I have found
> inforamtion on the .suo/.sln files in the main solution folder and the
> vbproj/vb files etc in the project folder but information on the bin and
> debug folders is eluding me (cant find it in help). Are there any articles
> that specify the contents/information on why the file struture created buy
> the IDE is what it is.

> Having created a solution/project, compiled/debug, compiled/release I have
> explored the files created and have noticed that after this I have three
> .exe files that appear to be exactly the same. One .exe in bin, one in
> obj/debug and one in obj/release. It seems obvious why the debug and
release
> ones are there, but what is the one in bin for. Trying out an menu example
> with icons it tells me to put the .ico files in the bin folder, so it
seems
> this is the main .exe ?

> Any help greatly appreciated

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:56:19 GMT
 Why so many exe's ?
Hello nifsmith -

The exe that is going to be executed when you press F5 is copied from the
\release or \debug folder, depending on the configuration you have chosen.
The exe is copied to the \bin folder and then executed. That is why you need
to put your icon in the bin directory.

We've filed a bug with the documentation team to cover this aspect of the
project system in a future release.

Seth and Robin
VB documenation team

> I am learning vb.net and am trying to get my head around the files/folders
> that the IDE creates when you create a new solution. I have found
> inforamtion on the .suo/.sln files in the main solution folder and the
> vbproj/vb files etc in the project folder but information on the bin and
> debug folders is eluding me (cant find it in help). Are there any articles
> that specify the contents/information on why the file struture created buy
> the IDE is what it is.

> Having created a solution/project, compiled/debug, compiled/release I have
> explored the files created and have noticed that after this I have three
> .exe files that appear to be exactly the same. One .exe in bin, one in
> obj/debug and one in obj/release. It seems obvious why the debug and
release
> ones are there, but what is the one in bin for. Trying out an menu example
> with icons it tells me to put the .ico files in the bin folder, so it
seems
> this is the main .exe ?

> Any help greatly appreciated

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:03:32 GMT
 Why so many exe's ?
Il cervello cattivo di nifsmith produceva il seguente:

Quote:

> I am learning vb.net and am trying to get my head around the files/folders
> that the IDE creates when you create a new solution. I have found
> inforamtion on the .suo/.sln files in the main solution folder and the
> vbproj/vb files etc in the project folder but information on the bin and
> debug folders is eluding me (cant find it in help). Are there any articles
> that specify the contents/information on why the file struture created buy
> the IDE is what it is.

That's easy. When you compile your project with the Debug setting, then the
resulting exe or dll is placed in the Debug folder. If you compile it with
Release setting, the result is placed in the bin folder.

--
Tenchi (remove 'spam.be.gone' for emails)

My VB.net Download-Manager (Version 1.12.1400)
Homepage: http://home.arcor.de/minako.aino/DownloadWonder/

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:13:18 GMT

1. Why don't my exe's and ocx's unregister

2. Why I start iexplore.exe, and I get explorer.exe proces (sometimes)

3. Why oh why doesn't this work?

4. Why Microsoft, why'd ya do it?

5. dotnetfx.exe bootstrapper example setup.exe doesn't work

6. 2 exe's in one setup.exe?

7. VB4 Application Setup Wizard doesn't include Racmgr32.exe or Autmgr32.exe

8. setup.exe doesn't run my setup1.exe

9. why why why why

10. Why why why why?

11. ********* Null + 'String' = Null !!!!!!! why, why, why!!!!!!!!

12. Extracting Icons from Exe's Dll's Ico's into a ListImage Control