access OS/390 DB2 character data
Author Message
 access OS/390 DB2 character data

Does dotnet support retrieving data via ODBC from DB2 on
OS/390 that contains unprintable characters, like x'00'?
My developers say this "doesn't work" and they get an
unending string.  I know nothing about dotnet, just found
this site by surfing.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:18:22 GMT
 access OS/390 DB2 character data

Quote:
> Does dotnet support retrieving data via ODBC from DB2 on
> OS/390 that contains unprintable characters, like x'00'?
> My developers say this "doesn't work" and they get an
> unending string.  I know nothing about dotnet, just found
> this site by surfing.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

I can't give you a specific answer, but I would be very surprised if this
couldn't be done. I work for a very large financial processor, and we run
DB2 v7 on OS390/MVS. We also run many Data Warehousing products, and I would
be very surprised if these were not using ODBC in some form or another.
Admittedly we are still using VS6, but I cannot see such fundamental
functionality being removed.

Surely it just depends upon how the incoming data is interpreted? At the
lowest level, couldn't a Binary read do what you want? I.e. not trying to
interpret mainframe LOW-VALUES or nulls?

JW

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:37:12 GMT

1. Accessing a DB2 database on OS/390 mainframe

2. DB2 v5.1.2 OS/390 Stored Proc problem

3. Help with IBM DB2 on OS/390 with ADO

4. Problem with ftpfindfirstfile and OS/390

5. CR "Logon failed" While Web Application connecting to DB2(os/390).

6. Accessing DB2 data in a VB progam

7. Accessing data from DB2

8. Diff between Pocket PC OS / Handled PC OS/ Embedded NT OS

9. Access 97 field data character position definition

10. Using the COUNT function in Access accessing db2 tbls thru ODBC

11. DB2 access problems after updating IBM Client Access

12. Does anyone use VB4/16 Bit getting data from DB2 running on OS/2 server using ODBC?