Server Explorer - Create a database
Author Message
 Server Explorer - Create a database

I right click on Connections in Server Explorer and select Create New SQL
Database
I then fill out the form:

Server name:  NORTHCOAST1500   (my machine which has MSDE installed)
Database name:  Tracking
I enter password and user ID

I get an error message:

ADO Error:'
[DBNETLIB}{ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
denied.'

What can be going wrong?

I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (I'm running WinXP)

There are 2 instances of MSDE installed.

Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (VSdotNET)

could this be part of the problem?

Thanks.

--
Bill McCarthy

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:51:14 GMT
 Server Explorer - Create a database
It's hard to tell since this is a pretty general message. Can you try to see
if you can add connection to any database on that server first? You can do
it by "Add connection" in server explorer, choose any database on that
server and click on "test connection" button and see what it says. If the
test connection succeeds, then maybe you just don't have write permission to
create a database on that server?

Dave & Yu-Fang
VB.NET TEAM

> I right click on Connections in Server Explorer and select Create New SQL
> Database
> I then fill out the form:

> Server name:  NORTHCOAST1500   (my machine which has MSDE installed)
> Database name:  Tracking
> I enter password and user ID

> I get an error message:

> ADO Error:'
> [DBNETLIB}{ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
> denied.'

> What can be going wrong?

> I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (I'm running WinXP)

> There are 2 instances of MSDE installed.

> Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
> Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (VSdotNET)

> could this be part of the problem?

> Thanks.

> --
> Bill McCarthy

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:05:02 GMT

1. dotnet Server Explorer Creating Event Log

2. How to rename a SQL Server table in Server Explorer

3. Creating an MS ACCESS database on an NT Server

4. Creating Access database from SQL Server at run time

5. Creating and Configuring a SQL Server Database via Code

6. Create SQL SERVER Database with ADOX

7. Creating SQL Server databases with ADO(X)

8. Create an additonal server type or HTTP e-mail server

9. Creating Server based transaction servers

10. Creating Server based transaction servers

11. SQL connection from server explorer

12. Server Explorer