Dataset performance vs. direct connections
Author Message
 Dataset performance vs. direct connections

I'm just getting started in .net (specifically vb.net) - I'm coming fromvb6
and sql in a typical client-server with lotsa stored procedures place..  To
me, it seems the speed of a transaction would be faster if the connection
always stays open vs. a dataset having to make the connection, send it's
stuff, and close the connection.  I'm in the final stages of planning out a
new system (redesign from the ground up), and evaluating if data sets are
the way to go (order entry system through shipping).

Can someone give me some feedback on this?  thx!

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:06:39 GMT
 Dataset performance vs. direct connections
Tom,

Although your program will be "closing" the connection, it's really just
releasing it back into the oledb connection pool. The physical connection to
the database server will actually stay up for a while (you can configure a
timeout on it) and the next time your program asks for a connection then,
assuming it uses the same connection string, it'll just be handed an active
connection back out of the pool which is very quick.

This approach means that if you've got multiple instances of the program
running on the machine they can all share those connections from the pool.
This is obviouly more relevant to server-side code deployment and
demonstrates the 3-tier design/deployment methodology MS has taken in
designing ADO.NET to allow it to scale.

Trevor

Quote:
> I'm just getting started in .net (specifically vb.net) - I'm coming
fromvb6
> and sql in a typical client-server with lotsa stored procedures place..
> me, it seems the speed of a transaction would be faster if the connection
> always stays open vs. a dataset having to make the connection, send it's
> stuff, and close the connection.  I'm in the final stages of planning out
> new system (redesign from the ground up), and evaluating if data sets are
> the way to go (order entry system through shipping).

> Can someone give me some feedback on this?  thx!

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:45:55 GMT

1. ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

2. DataSet Performance..

3. Performance of DataSet versus DataReader

4. Performance of direct ODBC, RDO and ADO ??

5. Urgent!! Normal RDO connection vs Stand-alone connection

6. Connection String vs. Connection Object

7. Connection Obj vs. Connection String

8. direct input vs BCP

9. ODBC Direct vs RDO

10. COM+ Impersonation - Original Caller vs Direct Caller

11. Direct mdb mapping vs ODBC

12. querydefs vs direct execution