Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?
Author Message
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I someone has asked me what to
use to create an ASP site (they are hosting with a company using Windows
2000 who doesn't want to risk installing .Net yet, so can't use ASP.Net!),
and I recommended Visual InterDev. However, they have gone out a bought
Visual Studio.Net because VS6 was no longer available, and now they're stuck
trying to work out what to do next. Is it possible to use VB.Net, or
something else in VS.Net, to create ASP3 applications? Or is it so geared
toward .Net that it's not possible? I don't have VS.Net here, just VS6, so I
am unable to test this myself, and I have tried searching on Google, the MS
newsgroups, and the MS KB, but I haven't been able to find anything useful
as searching for ASP and VS.Net results in thousands of pages on ASP.Net,
and it's impossible to filter out the ones that just talk about ASP (if they
exist), as i just get no results due to the pages mentioning both ASP and
ASP.Net.

Dan

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:02:13 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?
AFAIK it is not possible.  Your friend would be best deciding if they want
to use ASP or ASP.NET.  From there the choice of IDE is easy, Interdev or
Visual Studio.Net.

Has your friend tried ASP.NET?  My bet is if they have done ASP in the past
then doing just 5 minutes of ASP.NET will convince them that it's the way to
go.

Cheers

--
Robert Chapman
Manager, Applications Development

Quote:
> I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I someone has asked me what
> use to create an ASP site (they are hosting with a company using Windows
> 2000 who doesn't want to risk installing .Net yet, so can't use ASP.Net!),
> and I recommended Visual InterDev. However, they have gone out a bought
> Visual Studio.Net because VS6 was no longer available, and now they're
stuck
> trying to work out what to do next. Is it possible to use VB.Net, or
> something else in VS.Net, to create ASP3 applications? Or is it so geared
> toward .Net that it's not possible? I don't have VS.Net here, just VS6, so
> am unable to test this myself, and I have tried searching on Google, the
MS
> newsgroups, and the MS KB, but I haven't been able to find anything useful
> as searching for ASP and VS.Net results in thousands of pages on ASP.Net,
> and it's impossible to filter out the ones that just talk about ASP (if
they
> exist), as i just get no results due to the pages mentioning both ASP and
> ASP.Net.

> Dan

Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:48:26 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

Quote:
> I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I someone has asked me what
> use to create an ASP site (they are hosting with a company using Windows
> 2000 who doesn't want to risk installing .Net yet, so can't use ASP.Net!),
> and I recommended Visual InterDev. However, they have gone out a bought
> Visual Studio.Net because VS6 was no longer available, and now they're
stuck
> trying to work out what to do next. Is it possible to use VB.Net, or
> something else in VS.Net, to create ASP3 applications? Or is it so geared
> toward .Net that it's not possible? I don't have VS.Net here, just VS6, so
> am unable to test this myself, and I have tried searching on Google, the
MS
> newsgroups, and the MS KB, but I haven't been able to find anything useful
> as searching for ASP and VS.Net results in thousands of pages on ASP.Net,
> and it's impossible to filter out the ones that just talk about ASP (if
they
> exist), as i just get no results due to the pages mentioning both ASP and
> ASP.Net.

> Dan

You can do ASP with VS.NET but you're still gonna end up with .NET
installed, so you may as well use ASP.NET! It's far superior anyway.

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:06:35 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

Quote:

> You can do ASP with VS.NET but you're still gonna end up with .NET
> installed, so you may as well use ASP.NET! It's far superior anyway.

Do you mean that VS.Net has support for creating ASP3 applications like you
could in InterDev? Any web pages that show how to do this? The books on
VS.Net only cover creating ASP.Net applications (I've checked most of them -
helps working for a computer book retailer!).

I guess you didn't read my original post completely - ASP.Net can't be used
because the hosting provider doesn't support it, and InterDev can't be
bought because MS forced all retailers to remove it from sale when VS.Net
came out.

Dan

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:49:36 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

Quote:

> AFAIK it is not possible.  Your friend would be best deciding if they
> want to use ASP or ASP.NET.  From there the choice of IDE is easy,
> Interdev or Visual Studio.Net.

No, it's not easy - he wants to do ASP3, but you can't buy InterDev anymore
as VS.Net has replaced VS6 in retail.

Quote:
> Has your friend tried ASP.NET?  My bet is if they have done ASP in
> the past then doing just 5 minutes of ASP.NET will convince them that
> it's the way to go.

I guess you didn't read my original post completely - ASP.Net can't be used
because the hosting provider doesn't support it.

Dan

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:51:00 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

See inline.

Quote:

> > You can do ASP with VS.NET but you're still gonna end up with .NET
> > installed, so you may as well use ASP.NET! It's far superior anyway.

> Do you mean that VS.Net has support for creating ASP3 applications like
you
> could in InterDev?

Yes.

Quote:
> Any web pages that show how to do this?

I haven't seen any. Actually my book - Programming ASP.NET by Jesse Liberty
has an example I think.

Quote:
> The books on
> VS.Net only cover creating ASP.Net applications (I've checked most of
them -
> helps working for a computer book retailer!).

> I guess you didn't read my original post completely - ASP.Net can't be
used
> because the hosting provider doesn't support it, and InterDev can't be
> bought because MS forced all retailers to remove it from sale when VS.Net
> came out.

I did. But then you said they'd gone and bought VS.NET. Although you can use
this to do ASP, you'll still have to install .NET to use the IDE.

Your best bet may be to just use a text editor, e.g., TextPad.

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:55:04 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

Quote:

>> Any web pages that show how to do this?

> I haven't seen any. Actually my book - Programming ASP.NET by Jesse
> Liberty has an example I think.

I'll take a look at that book later - I work for Computer Manuals in the UK
(http://computermanuals.co.uk - had to get my plug in!) so I get any
computing title free to add to my ever growing library.

Quote:
> I did. But then you said they'd gone and bought VS.NET. Although you
> can use this to do ASP, you'll still have to install .NET to use the
> IDE.

> Your best bet may be to just use a text editor, e.g., TextPad.

He's been there, and tried FrontPage. He wasn't impressed. He wanted
something that would be more geared towards building entire applications and
inline debugging, and after seeing details about InterDev in the ASP3 books
he has he decided to get Visual Studio. Shame he didn't ring me first, he
ended up with VS.Net and had installed it, then rang me to ask how to use
it. So he can't even return it for a refund.

Dan

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:36:44 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?
Hi Daniel,

Your friend won't be able to do anything fancy in VS.NET because the host
would have to have the .NET framework installed to take advantage of the
code.

Since Visual Interdev isn't available maybe your friend could try Frontpage.
It isn't as fancy as interdev but it has a similar code editor and fully
supports ASP.  I have produced ASP pages using Frontpage 2000/XP without any
problems.

Alternatively, perhaps your friend could find a different provider that will
support ASP.NET.

HTH
Jake

Quote:
> I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I someone has asked me what
> use to create an ASP site (they are hosting with a company using Windows
> 2000 who doesn't want to risk installing .Net yet, so can't use ASP.Net!),
> and I recommended Visual InterDev. However, they have gone out a bought
> Visual Studio.Net because VS6 was no longer available, and now they're
stuck
> trying to work out what to do next. Is it possible to use VB.Net, or
> something else in VS.Net, to create ASP3 applications? Or is it so geared
> toward .Net that it's not possible? I don't have VS.Net here, just VS6, so
> am unable to test this myself, and I have tried searching on Google, the
MS
> newsgroups, and the MS KB, but I haven't been able to find anything useful
> as searching for ASP and VS.Net results in thousands of pages on ASP.Net,
> and it's impossible to filter out the ones that just talk about ASP (if
they
> exist), as i just get no results due to the pages mentioning both ASP and
> ASP.Net.

> Dan

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:16:15 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?
OK.  This is based on my VS.NET Beta 2 experience, but noone seems to have
mentioned it so:

I was able to develop ASP websites in VS.NET (beta 2) with only a couple of
issues:

1. VS.NET only liked Isolated Web Applications, not In-Process (or Pooled)
Apps, BUT it *would* attach to a running In-Process or Pooled Web App when a
run-time error occured (or a breakpoint was hit?).

2. Some .NET code is produced in a BIN directory and if you want Intellisense
for COM objects adding a reference causes an interop assembly to be produced.
I don't know if this causes fatal problems on web servers that don't support
.NET (that is, your ASP-based web site won't care about it, but VS.NET may
expect to commune with the server's .NET system).

3. The schema used for validation seemed to have some assumptions that
conflicted with the (my?) ASP approach.

4. The automatic indentation and (un)tabification of ASP code was not
configurable, or not clearly. (It was definitly independent from the HTML
configuration.)

That is what I remember and some of these may have been beta issues. In
summary, it was a bit of a pain, but I could (and did) maintain an existing
ASP-base website.

Regards,
Mark Hurd, B.Sc.(Ma.) (Hons.)

Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:46:41 GMT
 Can VB.Net be used to create classic ASP sites like InterDev could?

Quote:

> That is what I remember and some of these may have been beta issues.
> In summary, it was a bit of a pain, but I could (and did) maintain an
> existing ASP-base website.

Thanks. Unfortunately I've got to try and describe to this guy over the
phone how to create a new ASP application on his XP box, and make sure it's
not ASP.Net. Maybe I should get VS.Net installed here and try it myself,
might make it easier to tell him what to do. If only I had the time :(

Dan

Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:05:31 GMT

1. Problem posting xml from vb.net client to asp classic page

2. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

3. i am using vb.net and crystal reports for visual studio.net

4. Visual Liking in .Net using TREE VIEW control

5. ASP .Net using VB .Net Speed issue

6. Using VB.NET programming ASP.NET

7. Transferring data through internet in VB.net without using ASP.Net

8. Html editing in a asp.net project using vb.net

10. Use ASP or VB component to create a virtual web site for IIS

11. how to Creating Install setup Project using asp.net

12. what create table using ADO.NET to VB.NET