Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app
Author Message
 Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app

I have a VB.NET application that is installed by the Microsoft installer. It
works fine on my PC.

But another user who has installed it on his PC reports that when installing
this application, his WinWord application no longer functions - it calls out
a page fault using FM20.DLL.

I see that FM20.DLL is one of the files in the installation package. But
it's my understanding that .NET is supposed to eliminate any DLL conflict by
using its own files in preference over any system files of the same name. So
even though this DLL is resident in the Windows System area, there should be
absolutely no conflict.

Or, is there some other factor at work here? And, what does FM20.DLL do?

Don Peters

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:42:54 GMT
 Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app
Hello Don,

Quote:
> But another user who has installed it on his PC reports that
> when installing this application, his WinWord application
> no longer functions - it calls out a page fault using FM20.DLL.

> I see that FM20.DLL is one of the files in the installation
> package.

Remove it from the package.

FM20.DLL contains controls for use with VBA applications and must not be
used with VB and, IMHO VB .NET.

INFO: Usage and Redistribution of FM20.DLL
Microsoft Knowledgebase, Article ID: Q224305
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/3/05.asp

Regards,
Herfried K. Wagner

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:20:01 GMT
 Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app
Thank you for the reply Herfried,

After viewing that URL site, I'd have to agree - Microsoft specifically says
it should not be redistributed as part of the application.

So my question to Microsoft support, if they are monitoring this, is ...

    If it shouldn't be distributed, why does the Microsoft .NET installer
include it in the set of installation files?

Seems sort of contradictory to me.

Don Peters

Quote:
> Hello Don,

> > But another user who has installed it on his PC reports that
> > when installing this application, his WinWord application
> > no longer functions - it calls out a page fault using FM20.DLL.

> > I see that FM20.DLL is one of the files in the installation
> > package.

> Remove it from the package.

> FM20.DLL contains controls for use with VBA applications and must not be
> used with VB and, IMHO VB .NET.

> INFO: Usage and Redistribution of FM20.DLL
> Microsoft Knowledgebase, Article ID: Q224305
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/3/05.asp

> Regards,
> Herfried K. Wagner

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:02:16 GMT
 Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app
The Setup and Deployment projects try to detect all dependencies, and we
have only one approach for eliminating detected dependencies... files under
System File Protection we will flag and recommend that they not be deployed.

The fundamental reason we didn't put much effort into picking up all the
files like FM20.dll, is that the deployment rules for these files are
constantly changing, and also they are legacy COM components, and our focus
was on the newer .NET managed code components.

Hope that helps explain it...

David Guyer - Deployment Test Team (VBQA)
-----
Disclaimer:
rights.

--------------------

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Page fault on FM20.DLL when installing a VB.NET app
>Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 12:02:16 -0500

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

>Thank you for the reply Herfried,

>After viewing that URL site, I'd have to agree - Microsoft specifically
says
>it should not be redistributed as part of the application.

>So my question to Microsoft support, if they are monitoring this, is ...

>    If it shouldn't be distributed, why does the Microsoft .NET installer
>include it in the set of installation files?

>Seems sort of contradictory to me.

>Don Peters

>> Hello Don,

>> > But another user who has installed it on his PC reports that
>> > when installing this application, his WinWord application
>> > no longer functions - it calls out a page fault using FM20.DLL.

>> > I see that FM20.DLL is one of the files in the installation
>> > package.

>> Remove it from the package.

>> FM20.DLL contains controls for use with VBA applications and must not be
>> used with VB and, IMHO VB .NET.

>> INFO: Usage and Redistribution of FM20.DLL
>> Microsoft Knowledgebase, Article ID: Q224305
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/3/05.asp

>> Regards,
>> Herfried K. Wagner

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:38:25 GMT

1. Custom Control: FM20.DLL, FM20.OCA but no FM20.HLP

2. Page fault in app after IE4.0 is installed

3. My Vb.Net Apps will not run on other machine's with .Net Framework installed

4. VB.NET app does not run on OS having .NET redistributable files installed

5. VB.NET DLL's With A VB.NET App

6. VB causes an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL

7. Page Fault error in Kernel32.dll when vb calls printing in MSAccess

8. Debug VB.NET DLL(Class Library) from ASP.NET page

9. Invalid Page Faults Kernel32.DLL and OLE32.DLL

10. Install VB.NET App

11. Installing my VB.Net app

12. ASP.NET App v. VB.NET App