Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Author Message
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?

Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when creating
business applications.

I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
"Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB give
you any more benefits?

Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
more grunt work.

Any takers on this?

I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must have
the facts and no emotion.

--Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:25:29 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
Let's put it like this:
If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
VB-Access)

Quote:
> Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when creating
> business applications.

> I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
give
> you any more benefits?

> Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
> more grunt work.

> Any takers on this?

> I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
have
> the facts and no emotion.

> --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:56:29 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
I don't agree that you can only develop "Mickey Mouse" apps with Access.
I've seen (and developed) some pretty useful apps in Access. There are many
reasons why you might want to develop with VB rather than Access, but I
think the biggest factor is that your users will need to have a fully
licensed copy of Access installed on their machine to use it. Whereas,
anybody (willing to install the huge runtime) can install and use your VB
app.

Hope that helps,

Tim Overbay

Quote:
> Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
> The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
> Let's put it like this:
> If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
> If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
> VB-Access)

> > Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when
creating
> > business applications.

> > I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> > about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> > "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> > application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> > everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
> give
> > you any more benefits?

> > Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires
much
> > more grunt work.

> > Any takers on this?

> > I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
> have
> > the facts and no emotion.

> > --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:11:16 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Bob,

It all depends on what your aim is.  I tend to use Access for prototyping
data projects.  It is very very quick when you know what your about.  I use
VB too and it is more powerful but horses for courses and I reckon that VB
is better suited to situations where the client has a stronger brief and the
project is therefore less of a prototype.
I don't agree with Tudor's 'mickey mouse' comment, used properly Access is
anything but mouse like.

hope this helps

john

Quote:
> Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
> The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
> Let's put it like this:
> If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
> If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
> VB-Access)

> > Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when
creating
> > business applications.

> > I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> > about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> > "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> > application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> > everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
> give
> > you any more benefits?

> > Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires
much
> > more grunt work.

> > Any takers on this?

> > I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
> have
> > the facts and no emotion.

> > --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:20:20 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
I didn't say "only" , But the time and effort you spend to create a real
complex application I guess
is different. Plus how about the multi-user aspect?
And, btw, I guess the "huge size" of the run-time VB is not as "huge" as
Access

Quote:
> I don't agree that you can only develop "Mickey Mouse" apps with Access.
> I've seen (and developed) some pretty useful apps in Access. There are
many
> reasons why you might want to develop with VB rather than Access, but I
> think the biggest factor is that your users will need to have a fully
> licensed copy of Access installed on their machine to use it. Whereas,
> anybody (willing to install the huge runtime) can install and use your VB
> app.

> Hope that helps,

> Tim Overbay

> > Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
> > The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
> > Let's put it like this:
> > If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
> > If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
> > VB-Access)

> > > Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when
> creating
> > > business applications.

> > > I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable
consultant
> > > about choices for development tools for business solutions and he
said,
> > > "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> > > application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries,
and
> > > everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in
VB
> > give
> > > you any more benefits?

> > > Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires
> much
> > > more grunt work.

> > > Any takers on this?

> > > I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I
must
> > have
> > > the facts and no emotion.

> > > --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:20:59 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Bob,
    I say you tell your consultant to stop sleeping with Access and tell
whoever he/she is consulting for to hire a new consultant if they think
Access is better than VB.

How exactly do you provide services like COM+, MSMQ, etc. in Access? Also,
how to you roll out the "client" (front-end) if you're doing it in Access?

With VBA, you can't just deploy an executable file that connects to a
datastore. What if you want to spread out processing of database activity to
multiple servers? If Access was really that good, why did they bother
building VB and SQL Server?

How exactly would you build a 3-tier application with Access?

There are many things Access CAN'T DO. Access is for database applications
that generally stay small (under 10mb or so) and don't need multiple users.
Access database get corrupted after about 10-15 concurrent connections. If
your compact and fix of the database doesn't work you're screwed. At least
with SQL Server you have a transaction log you can restore from.

Access sux. Anyone who really knows what they're doing doesn't use Access.

Jason

Quote:
> Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
> The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
> Let's put it like this:
> If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
> If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
> VB-Access)

> > Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when
creating
> > business applications.

> > I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> > about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> > "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> > application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> > everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
> give
> > you any more benefits?

> > Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires
much
> > more grunt work.

> > Any takers on this?

> > I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
> have
> > the facts and no emotion.

> > --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:14:31 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
I just thought of some other reasons to do VB/SQL Server over access too:

(Assuming your place can afford SQL Server vs. Access)

Transactional support is better w/ SS (SQL Server)
Triggers, Stored Procedures w/ SS
Functions w/ SS 2000
DTS
Analysis Services

Not to mention, I think VB using ADO is a better combination than VBA. VBA
just wasn't meant for "application development"...VBA was intended for
Office Macros. That doesn't mean that's all u can do with it but, it's not
many people's language of choice for a reason.

Jason

Quote:
> Bob,
>     I say you tell your consultant to stop sleeping with Access and tell
> whoever he/she is consulting for to hire a new consultant if they think
> Access is better than VB.

> How exactly do you provide services like COM+, MSMQ, etc. in Access? Also,
> how to you roll out the "client" (front-end) if you're doing it in Access?

> With VBA, you can't just deploy an executable file that connects to a
> datastore. What if you want to spread out processing of database activity
> multiple servers? If Access was really that good, why did they bother
> building VB and SQL Server?

> How exactly would you build a 3-tier application with Access?

> There are many things Access CAN'T DO. Access is for database applications
> that generally stay small (under 10mb or so) and don't need multiple
users.
> Access database get corrupted after about 10-15 concurrent connections. If
> your compact and fix of the database doesn't work you're screwed. At least
> with SQL Server you have a transaction log you can restore from.

> Access sux. Anyone who really knows what they're doing doesn't use Access.

> Jason

> > Bob , I am a VB developer who needed to develop something in Access....
> > The list is too long to mention why VB is better.
> > Let's put it like this:
> > If you develop some "Mickey mouse" application you go for Access.
> > If you need something "real" , you go for VB (If you have the choice
> > VB-Access)

> > > Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when
> creating
> > > business applications.

> > > I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable
consultant
> > > about choices for development tools for business solutions and he
said,
> > > "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> > > application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries,
and
> > > everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in
VB
> > give
> > > you any more benefits?

> > > Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires
> much
> > > more grunt work.

> > > Any takers on this?

> > > I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I
must
> > have
> > > the facts and no emotion.

> > > --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:26:26 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Hi Bob,

    I used to develop primarily in Access in a previous job. Now I use VB
almost exclusively. Access and Visual Basic _do_ have a lot in common. There
is a large area of overlap between the two. On the other hand, there are
definitely cases where one or the other is the clearly better choice.

    IMHO, Access is useful for relatively small applications with relatively
low performance requirements (i.e. small no. of users, small amount of
data). Access is good in the way that you can put together a useful
application quite quickly. The list of things Access _can't_ do:

    1. Create COM DLLs. COM DLLs allow you to break application logic out
from your application and reuse it elsewhere. Updates to the COM
component(s) automatically apply to all applications that use it (them).
Access can and does "use" COM components, but it can't create them.

    2. Create ActiveX controls. Using he same basic technology of COM DLLs,
ActiveX controls allow you to create and reuse visual components. Again,
Access can "use" them but it can't create them.

    3. Create distributed applications. Once you get above a small number of
users, it becomes a hassle to update every machine when the business logic
changes. You can put business logic components on a central server to be
used by clients across the network. Now there's only one thing to update
rather than several.

    4. Create COM+ components. This is an advanced topic, but you can
configure COM components to use distributed transactions, role-based
security, etc. with COM+ component services.

    5. Create genuine native Win32 applications. The "compile" feature
actually converts your code into p-code. Native compilation will generally
perform better.

    6. Don't even think about web applications.

    The other major beef I have with Access is that it can create
applications that are very hard to manage. People who say VB encourages bad
programming practices should take a look at Access. You can put (more like
hide) application logic just about anywhere!: In a table field expression,
in a form field expression, behind a form, in a macro, in a module, in a
report, in a class... In my previous job I "inherited" an Access project
from someone who was learning as he went. It was like peeling an onion!
Layers and layers of application logic all over the place. Needless to say,
it was very difficult to fix any bug that arose (of which there were
plenty).

    In summary, there are some things I miss about Access, but, on the
whole, I'm much happier with VB.

Regards,
Dan

p.s. You posted this to a bunch of newsgroups including one for VB.NET, the
successor to VB6. Suffice it to say that I can't even begin to list the
things you can do in VB.NET that you can't do in Access or VB6.

Quote:
> Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when creating
> business applications.

> I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
give
> you any more benefits?

> Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
> more grunt work.

> Any takers on this?

> I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
have
> the facts and no emotion.

> --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:48:00 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
RE/

Quote:
>Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
>more grunt work.

- VB lends itself better to large projects where code has to be
parceled out to different developers from a central repository

- IS tends to like VB and disparage Access (mostly because of
misunderstanding....but that's the way it is...)

- There are more VB developers than Access developers and they work
cheaper.

- Limiting the number of development languages/environments is usually
in the interest of an IS organization.

- Distribution/installation of a VB app is more of a known technique.
(Distributing Access apps over a LAN is actually a lot easier, but the
knowledge of how to do so is not widespread - it's a square peg in a
round hole)

- With VB, the source code can be kept separate from the app.   Mostly
IS regards this as a Good Thing.   There are, however, reasons why the
opposite can be a Good Thing.

- A VB app lends itself to  automated testing tools.   Access apps do
not.   This isn't widely discussed, but IMHO it's probably the biggest
consideration in choosing between the two front end development tools.

Claims that Access apps are "toys" are unfounded.   I think they
mainly originate from widespread misunderstanding of what "Access" is.

What comes out of the Access box is two products:  a back end
file-based database engine, and a front end development tool.

People who glibly knock Access probably think of the file-based engine
vs client/server.

Actually, the front end development tool can be pointed at any back
end (client server or otherwise) that VB (or PowerBuilder or Delphi or
C++....) can.

To me, VB is *the* RAD tool.    I've tried developing the same app in
Access and VB (using VB the second time around...so my manhour result
was conservative) and would opine that the same app developed in VB
takes 2-3 times the number of manhours it would take in Access.

Access is *made* to do databases and it's controls are more
convenient/less labor intensive to use.

A text box, for instance, in Access appears with it's own label
control grouped to it.   In VB, you have to create the label
separately and align it with the text box.

The Access combo box has an AfterUpdate event and built-in
autoscrolling.       Page-after-page of code has to be written in VB
to do the same thing.

Then there are forms/subforms, built in report writer, queries,....and
on-and-on.

Having said all that, I still think it's fair to say that Access is
not the preferred tool for a mission-critical app that has to live
on-an-on as many different people work on it.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:12:34 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
RE/

Quote:
> Plus how about the multi-user aspect?

If we're talking about Access the front end development tool, that is
a moot point.

OTOH if we're talking about the JET file-based back end, it is a valid
point.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:14:09 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Hi Luhar,

Quote:
> There are many
> reasons why you might want to develop with VB rather than Access, but I
> think the biggest factor is that your users will need to have a fully
> licensed copy of Access installed on their machine to use it

The Office Developer Edition includes a redistributable Access "run-time"
that allows users who don't have a licensed copy of Access to run your app.
AFAICT it _is_ Access without the standard menu and toolbar commands, which
renders it unusable for creating databases.

Regards,
Dan

Quote:
> I don't agree that you can only develop "Mickey Mouse" apps with Access.
> I've seen (and developed) some pretty useful apps in Access. There are
many
> reasons why you might want to develop with VB rather than Access, but I
> think the biggest factor is that your users will need to have a fully
> licensed copy of Access installed on their machine to use it. Whereas,
> anybody (willing to install the huge runtime) can install and use your VB
> app.

> Hope that helps,

> Tim Overbay

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:20:11 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
Well,
    There is a lot of opinions. Personally, I currently have an Access
application with 45000 lines of code and a VB app with 40000 lines of code.
I have been developing in both for about 8 years. So here is my opinion:

I use access for quick applications, fast prototyping, and for systems with
less than 10 users. I also rely heavily on Access when the client has not
thought out the project throughly. If scope creep is going to be a big
problem, Access is easy and faster to update.

Using VB produces faster more scalable code. It also does not have the
limitations on ActiveX controls that Access has. (Access can not use all
ActiveX controls.) VB also allows for greater security of the source code.
Requirements need to be firmer, since changes have a larger ripple effect
for code and time.

Access Run-time solves the problem of distribution. The Sage Key add on for
Install Shield or Wise Installers works excellent for making sure the
distribution is clean. I have had problems with the VB installations in
getting the proper DLLs sent out. More care is needed since VB has more
options/DLLs/version updates.

Would I rebuild my Access application in VB? Yes, now that I know what it
required. Will I still continue to use Access? Absolutely.

The VB and Access are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Each has it place.

Ken

Quote:
> Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when creating
> business applications.

> I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
give
> you any more benefits?

> Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
> more grunt work.

> Any takers on this?

> I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
have
> the facts and no emotion.

> --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:27:28 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
RE/

Quote:
>How exactly do you provide services like COM+, MSMQ, etc. in Access? Also,
>how to you roll out the "client" (front-end) if you're doing it in Access?

Dunno about MSMQ, but I've done COM in Access.

Quote:
>How exactly would you build a 3-tier application with Access?

You wouldn't.    That would be an inappropriate use of the tool.

Quote:
>There are many things Access CAN'T DO. Access is for database applications
>that generally stay small (under 10mb or so) and don't need multiple users.

Distinguish between Microsoft's JET file-based DB (that ships with
Access)  and Access-the-front-end-development tool.

 If you're talking JET,  number of concurrent users is less than
client/server products, but 10 users is no problem at all.   I would
agree that there are size limits to JET, but 10 megs is ridiculous.

 I've seen one app that runs all day every day with six concurrent
users banging on it.   The back end is JET and about 150 megs total.
In the five years I've watched it, no problems whatsoever with
corruption.

That is *not* to say that corruption is not an issue with any
file-based DB.   The LAN or a bad NIC can kill a file-based app.
File-based DBs definately have their limits.

OTOH, if you're talking about Access the front end development tool
pointed at, say, a Sybase, Oracle, or DB2 back end that statement is
completely erroneous and betrays a misunderstanding of what MS Access
is.

Quote:
>Access database get corrupted after about 10-15 concurrent connections.

Patently false.   There is a grain of truth in it, however, as
file-based DBs are notoriously susceptable to hardware and file server
problems.    I have seen apps where the DB gets corrupted several
times a day - but it's usually a bad NIC or flaky server.   Again,
distinguish between front end and back end.    You're talking about
the back end tables getting corrupted.    I've never heard of a
properly deployed Access front end getting corrupted.

Quote:
>your compact and fix of the database doesn't work you're screwed. At least
>with SQL Server you have a transaction log you can restore from.

Again, not true.   But I'll come right out and say it:  SQL server is
the choice for a mission-critical app.   Very few "If's", "Ands" or
"Buts"....although there are a few.

If a JET back end gets corrupted you restore from last night's backup.
Yes, you've lost today's work up to the time of failure (assuming the
DB isn't mirrored).   But with client/server you've also lost work -
the transaction logs are only updated as often as somebody specifies.

Still, I wouldn't want to obscure the perfectly valid point that
file-based back ends  are probably not the best choice for
mission-critical apps.

Quote:
>Access sux. Anyone who really knows what they're doing doesn't use Access.

Different tools are more appropriate for different situations.   One
sizes up the situation and chooses the appropriate tool.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:29:53 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
I'm confused by the reference to Access as a development tool. Access is a
database. It just happens also be packed with a development tool (VBA) and
supports an object model that's compatible. Even this is generous because
technically Access/VBA is a mutant of the sorts, but I'm not going to rant
about that.

I personally think Access sucks as a development tool and anything you can
do in access with a flick of the wrist can easily be done in standalone VB.

I think the real root issue should be what kind of database environment
you're willing to deal with. Can we simply say that up to Access 2000,
server-side cursors simply were not supported! Plus, not to mention all of
the multi-user, what if the power goes out, data recovery nightmares. It's
ALWAYS better to have a true server/client environment if you're goin to do
something like multi-user. Don't get e wrong, Access has a lot of neato
things that you can do but try and do those neato things via standalone VB,
and you can't do it.

So, Access = bad as serious DB, VBA = bad as serious programming
environment.

Get yourself MS SQL 2000 and C++/VB .Net if they're available to you, and
you'll never go back to Access, even for the little stuff.

Casey

Applications Systems Analyst/Programmer
SMC, Inc.
Lexington, KY

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:28:12 GMT
 Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Access superior?
There is good and bad to both. I've read all the posts here and I see a lot
of biased opinions. I believe what you really want to know is "Why learn VB
when I already know Access?"

Well, let's look at it from a logical perspective. Software and database
development is moving forward at a rapid rate. As time goes by, I'm seeing
les and less Access job openings. This is because companies want more
sophisticated databases. I know what you're thinking, Access can use ANY
database for it's backend. This is very true, however Access has grown a
reputation for not being robust enough for large amounts of data. This is
due to the fact that most IT supervisors think that Access only has one
possible backend. They are worried, because the last Access project they ran
eventually outgrew the Jet database and they were led to believe that they
had to do a complete rewrite in another language (like VB), with a different
database (like SQL Server) in order to solve the problem. So now they are
gun-shy. They will never build another Access application if there's even
the slightest possibility that it will ever grow into something larger. This
is where that "mickey mouse" mentality originated. It's a false belief, but
it's widespread and continuing to grow.

So, in my humble opinion, you'd be better off getting off that train before
it reaches the end of the track. Think of all the unemployed COBAL
programmers. They thought that language would be around forever. NEVER allow
yourself to become comfortable with one development language and then stick
with that. You'll soon be left in the dust.

Actually, I don't see any reason for you to learn VB. VB programmers are
facing the same dilemma. It's time to learn VS.NET or wind up a has been.
Microsoft will soon quit supporting VB 6.0.

I continually press myself to learn the new technologies as they gain
support. It's a never-ending battle, but it's the only way to maintain a
decent living as a programmer. I don't just jump on every band wagon. I wait
to see if it will gain popularity. If I were you, I would start learning
more web technologies and VS.NET. This will keep you valuable as a
programmer.

That's my unbiased opinion.

Now for my biased opinion....
I love VB. I think it is a very powerful development tool. Access forces you
to contain your application in the Access MDI frame. In my opinion, that's
ugly. In VB, I can create shaped forms and UIs that dance. This is not
possible in Access.

All my other reasons for not using Access (professionally) are already
listed in the other answers to your post. I DO use Access quite often for
quickly creating queries, testing results, etc., but when all is said and
done, my final product is in VB.

HTH,
Rocky Clark (Kath-Rock Software)

Quote:
> Is VB ANY better than MS Access as a development tool?.......when creating
> business applications.

> I was just talking with a very professional and knowledgable consultant
> about choices for development tools for business solutions and he said,
> "Access can do everything and much more than VB". He was talking about
> application development, GUI development with Access forms, queries, and
> everything. Besides not being a database system, does programming in VB
give
> you any more benefits?

> Why learn VB when Access can do just as much as VB? VB also requires much
> more grunt work.

> Any takers on this?

> I'm looking for cold hard facts. If I go to managment with this, I must
have
> the facts and no emotion.

> --Bob

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 04:26:23 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Acce

2. Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Acce

3. Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Acce

4. Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Acce

5. Is Visual Basic ANY better than MS Access as a development tool? VB a joke? Acce

6. Application Development: MS-Access, Visual Basic, SQL Server, SQL Anywhere

7. Regarding Accessing External database using MS-Access and MS-Visual Basic

8. Im looking for 2 good MS Access Development books

9. Visual Basic, Access Basic or MS-Access??

10. Visual Basic, Access Basic or MS-Access??

11. BEST TOOL FOR MS ACCESS

12. ′How to list tables in an Acce ss database with visual basic 6