Is .Net the way to go?
Author Message
 Is .Net the way to go?

Try to design an app that will collect system info(OS, RAM, Harddrive Space
etc.) when user logon to the network as part of the login script and then
export the info as an xml file. It should be lightweight and run on 98, NT,
W2k and XP machines. Is .Net the way to go or it'll be better off to stay
with VB6.  Thanks.

Ray

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:31:51 GMT
 Is .Net the way to go?
Well, what do you mean by "lightweight?"  If you develop in .Net, you'll
need to distribute the CLR, which is rather large.  If you use VB6, you
might get away without distributing its runtime since many systems already
have it.

--George

Quote:
> Try to design an app that will collect system info(OS, RAM, Harddrive
Space
> etc.) when user logon to the network as part of the login script and then
> export the info as an xml file. It should be lightweight and run on 98,
NT,
> W2k and XP machines. Is .Net the way to go or it'll be better off to stay
> with VB6.  Thanks.

> Ray

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:53:34 GMT
 Is .Net the way to go?
once the clr is there, you just need to copy paste apps that can consist of
just about a Meg or so, which is great

Quote:
> Well, what do you mean by "lightweight?"  If you develop in .Net, you'll
> need to distribute the CLR, which is rather large.  If you use VB6, you
> might get away without distributing its runtime since many systems already
> have it.

> --George

> > Try to design an app that will collect system info(OS, RAM, Harddrive
> Space
> > etc.) when user logon to the network as part of the login script and
then
> > export the info as an xml file. It should be lightweight and run on 98,
> NT,
> > W2k and XP machines. Is .Net the way to go or it'll be better off to
stay
> > with VB6.  Thanks.

> > Ray

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:18:11 GMT

1. Modeless and Going both ways

3. The strange ways of .net, !!!References!!!

4. i am using vb.net and crystal reports for visual studio.net

5. ** HELP WITH vb 4.0 I am going crazy**

6. Am I going insane...?

7. Am I going mad?

8. help i am going mad

9. Overflow - Am I going crazy?

10. Where am I going wrong ??!!

11. I think I am going mental

12. Where am i going wrong??? ActiveX Control