Copying User settings
Author Message
 Copying User settings

Hello,
We are doing a workstation upgrade and I was asked to write a program or
script that would copy some of the user settings place them on the network
and then bring them back down.  The settings we wan are cookies, favorites
and history.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?  I know the favorites one is very easy
but I'm not sure about the history or the cookies.  Yes cookies are just
text files but if you copy them out of the cookie folder and then put them
back in will they still work?

any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:27:56 GMT
 Copying User settings
History is stored in a bunch of system files placed under the users
local settings directory. On Win2000/XP the path is C:\Documents and
Settings\
<ProfileName>\Local Settings\History. Just do a recursive copy of this
directory to your server using a method which supports copying hidden and
system files, for instance the vbs FileSystemObject or plain xcopy.
Restoring it
is a bit harder as explorer.exe keeps a lock on the files making it
impossible
to overwrite them. Therefore you need to close down explorer.exe and
all other applications that might have locks on the files before you can
copy
the files back. Alternatively you can log in using a different profile and
do
it from there.

Best Regards

Lars Malmqvist

Quote:
> Hello,
> We are doing a workstation upgrade and I was asked to write a program or
> script that would copy some of the user settings place them on the network
> and then bring them back down.  The settings we wan are cookies, favorites
> and history.

> Does anyone know of a way to do this?  I know the favorites one is very
easy
> but I'm not sure about the history or the cookies.  Yes cookies are just
> text files but if you copy them out of the cookie folder and then put them
> back in will they still work?

> any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:27:56 GMT

1. Copying User settings

2. How to copy user group to another user?

3. Integrating Current User settings into Default User

4. Macro to copy section settings

5. Setting copies for PrintToPrinter for multiple pages...

6. Setting a range for copy and paste

7. Setting copies for PrintToPrinter for multiple pages...

8. Setting/copying the items in a combo's list

9. Setting number of copies using Print Spooler API calls

10. Setting printer Papersize, Orientation Copies etc.

11. Copying an Access file while a user is connected

12. COPIES of MESSAGES to other users