How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Author Message
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?

I'm importing Japanese words from an Excel spreadsheet and
use them as captions on buttons, text for labels and text
for message box's etc in a VB 6.0 project.

I've got code page 932 enabled and can use the characters
in Excel and Word fine. I've added fm20.dll to the project
and by replacing the existing buttons and text box's with
these new ones, I can get Japanese to be displayed, but it
still doesn't work for the command button tool tips, or
message box's. All I get is a string of ??????

It's a big project. If I have to replace all the text
box's, command buttons etc to use fm20.dll, it will take a
few days. Is there another way ? If not, how can I at
least get Japanese characters into msgbox's

Thanks
Paul

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:21:55 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Forgot to say I'm an XP machine

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:34:28 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
You may want to ask this question in another newsgroup, as this newsgroup is
for VB.Net, rather than VB <= 6.0.

To answer your question, neither the forms of VB <= 6.0 or its intrinsic
controls support any text in Unicode that is outside the default system code
page (which means you have to be on a Japanese system or have a changed
default system locale -- known as language for non-Unicode programs in XP).
In other words, what you are seeing is by design.

Further, using Forms^3 (aka fm20.dll, MS Forms, etc.) is not only illegal to
redistribute with a VB app but it is also unsupported and there are crash
bugs that can occur when attempting to use an IME on a system with a non-CJK
default system locale. This would mean that even your suggested solution is
not really a practical solution for an application (unfortunately).

Unicode support is a non-trivial feature, and it can take a lot of work to
make things happen well in VB <= 6.0 which was not designed for it (see my
book for more info on how to do this -- http://i18nWithVB.com/). If you
really want this scenario to work, then be prepared for a lot more than just
a few days work!

These limitations do not paply to Word or Excel, both of which support
Unicode, and which have a supported solution in Forms^3, as well as a later
version of the DLL which cannot be redistributed, so you would have to have
Office 2000 or later on any machine upon which you ere running your app to
avoid those crash bugs.

--
MichKa [MS]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

Quote:
> I'm importing Japanese words from an Excel spreadsheet and
> use them as captions on buttons, text for labels and text
> for message box's etc in a VB 6.0 project.

> I've got code page 932 enabled and can use the characters
> in Excel and Word fine. I've added fm20.dll to the project
> and by replacing the existing buttons and text box's with
> these new ones, I can get Japanese to be displayed, but it
> still doesn't work for the command button tool tips, or
> message box's. All I get is a string of ??????

> It's a big project. If I have to replace all the text
> box's, command buttons etc to use fm20.dll, it will take a
> few days. Is there another way ? If not, how can I at
> least get Japanese characters into msgbox's

> Thanks
> Paul

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:30:44 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Thanks for the reply. I thought there would be lots of
people doing this and therefore a simple solution. But it
seems not.

If I change to vb.net, will that sort all the problems ?

Cheers
Paul

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:49:12 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?

Quote:
> Thanks for the reply. I thought there would be lots of
> people doing this and therefore a simple solution. But it
> seems not.

> If I change to vb.net, will that sort all the problems ?

I have had the same problem (with VB6) and have upgraded my project to
VB.NET which is Unicode compliant.

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:13:00 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Well, lets say "Unicode conformant". :-)

Compliance implies government requirements.

And yes, the easier (relatively speaking) answer is to move to VS.NET.

--
MichKa [MS]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

Quote:

> > Thanks for the reply. I thought there would be lots of
> > people doing this and therefore a simple solution. But it
> > seems not.

> > If I change to vb.net, will that sort all the problems ?

> I have had the same problem (with VB6) and have upgraded my project to
> VB.NET which is Unicode compliant.

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:06:49 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Cheers.

I'll see if the customer wants to stand the extra cost and
timescales.....but I doubt it.

Thanks again
Paul

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:20:31 GMT
 How do I display Japanese writing onto form ?
Well, support for Japanese on a non-JPN system cannot be done well as an
"add-on" feature. In any programming language.

--
MichKa [MS]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.

Quote:
> Cheers.

> I'll see if the customer wants to stand the extra cost and
> timescales.....but I doubt it.

> Thanks again
> Paul

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:35:12 GMT

1. Problems displaying Japanese text on form labels

2. Problems displaying Japanese text from a resource DLL

3. Problems displaying Japanese text from a resource DLL

4. Displaying Japanese Characters

5. Displaying Japanese characters in VB 6.0

6. Problem displaying japanese text

7. Writing a DLL to display a graphic on a form - HELP

8. displaying japanese characters in a VB app

9. Display Japanese characters.

10. Display Japanese Fonts in VB program

12. How do I display Japanese characters ?