Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?
Author Message
 Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?

When I attempt to run my compiled vb.net app from the Novell Network drive.
I get a system.securityexception has occurred in Myapplication.exe  - Just
in time Debugging window shows up.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I also copied this code to another notebook PC and got a different just in
time debuggin window message.  But this notebook may not have the .net
framework loaded.

Thanks

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:58:42 GMT
 Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?
A networked drive is not in the same security zone as a local location.  You
will have edit your machine policy or run the exe locally to avoid the
error.

Cheers

--
Robert Chapman
Manager, Applications Development

Quote:

> When I attempt to run my compiled vb.net app from the Novell Network
drive.
> I get a system.securityexception has occurred in Myapplication.exe  - Just
> in time Debugging window shows up.

> Any ideas why this is happening?

> I also copied this code to another notebook PC and got a different just in
> time debuggin window message.  But this notebook may not have the .net
> framework loaded.

> Thanks

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:14:28 GMT
 Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?
The default security settings means that any applications run from the
Network have very little rights on a specific machine..

You either have to set .Net security to allow the program access to
whatevery local resources it needs, or just turn security off (not the
recommand approach of course, but for testing only..)

Quote:

> When I attempt to run my compiled vb.net app from the Novell Network
drive.
> I get a system.securityexception has occurred in Myapplication.exe  - Just
> in time Debugging window shows up.

> Any ideas why this is happening?

> I also copied this code to another notebook PC and got a different just in
> time debuggin window message.  But this notebook may not have the .net
> framework loaded.

> Thanks

---

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:20:58 GMT
 Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?
This is really an annoying problem and the documentation
on security is unintelligible.  The documentation implies
that you can change the trust level of a network drive
using CASPOL but I don't see how.

One of the main reasons I got VS.Net was so I could place
programs on the network without a need to install.  I also
lost a few days coding to a hard drive crash because I was
forced to use my C: drive.  So if anyone has a solution I
would be grateful.

Keith

Quote:

02/08/2002

>.

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:38:11 GMT
 Security Exception only when run from exe on network not from VB.net environment?
You could try having the bulk of your project as a web
service and then having a thin client which justs call the
service...
(this of course means you need IIS on the machine that the
web service is running on)

Quote:

Mon, 07 Feb 2005 04:07:56 GMT

1. Security issue by running exe on a network drive

2. Running as .EXE or running in VB Design Environment

3. Deploying on XP with .Net Framework sp2 security exception unhandled

4. My Vb.Net Apps will not run on other machine's with .Net Framework installed

5. VB.NET app does not run on OS having .NET redistributable files installed

6. My OLE DLL works in EXE but not in VB Development environment

7. run net.exe (net send) with external commands

8. Communication between Vb EXE and VB.NET EXE

9. VB EXE to VB.NET EXE

10. move .net prog to network, get system.security.securityexception

11. Word crashes when running VB exe only if not logged into NT

12. OpenFile Not work in exe but works in VB run