Fast Distribution
Author Message
 Fast Distribution

Does anyone know a way to package a program, all necesary files and the .NET
Framework into one installer? I don't want to spend a lot of time
customizing it, because it is just to send for beta testing of my program.

Thanks
Nathan

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:32:08 GMT
 Fast Distribution
There is no way to combine with into one big file.  The alternative,
Microsoft provides a BootStrap program that uses an INI config file.  In
this INI config file you specify where the install of the .NET Framework and
where the setup for your app is.  It then handles launching both setups for
you - as if they were one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?...
dn-files/027/001/830/msdncompositedoc.xml

Brian Patterson

Quote:
> Does anyone know a way to package a program, all necesary files and the
.NET
> Framework into one installer? I don't want to spend a lot of time
> customizing it, because it is just to send for beta testing of my program.

> Thanks
> Nathan

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:52:26 GMT
 Fast Distribution
That's not exactly true. Using 3rd party software you can
do it. Check out wise.com or installshield.com. You have
to buy them but you can download trial versions and do
what you're looking to do. Or you could use the MS
bootstrapper and package everything in a zip or self-
extracting executable.

Quote:

URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/ms
Quote:
>dn-files/027/001/830/msdncompositedoc.xml

>Brian Patterson

>> Does anyone know a way to package a program, all

necesary files and the
Quote:
>..NET
>> Framework into one installer? I don't want to spend a
lot of time
>> customizing it, because it is just to send for beta

testing of my program.
Quote:

>> Thanks
>> Nathan

>.

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:21:25 GMT
 Fast Distribution
But even with Wise Solutions, I don't know what files my program needs to
run. I created an installer that installs the .NET framework and the
executable, but my program requires other files (like DLLs, OCXs), but I do
not know which ones. How would I go about find what files my program needs?

Thank you.

Quote:
> Does anyone know a way to package a program, all necesary files and the
.NET
> Framework into one installer? I don't want to spend a lot of time
> customizing it, because it is just to send for beta testing of my program.

> Thanks
> Nathan

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:31:48 GMT
 Fast Distribution
I guess you could use Wise or Installshield --- IF you wanted to violate the
license agreement.

Quote:
> That's not exactly true. Using 3rd party software you can
> do it. Check out wise.com or installshield.com. You have
> to buy them but you can download trial versions and do
> what you're looking to do. Or you could use the MS
> bootstrapper and package everything in a zip or self-
> extracting executable.

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:08:51 GMT

1. Evaluation of Normal Distribution and Chi Distribution

2. my game is too fast on faster computers

3. WHEN EMAILING A PERSONAL DISTRIBUTION CONTAING OTHER EMBEDDED PERSONAL DISTRIBUTION LISTS, THE EMBEDDED LISTS ARE UNAVAILABLE.

4. Normal Distribution

5. Distribution problem

6. Exporting Exchange distribution lists

7. Accessing owner of distribution lists and access rights of public folders in Access 97

8. Distribution Binaries of Jet Engine (>v3.5)?

9. Sending Email to Distribution List

10. Help ActiveX distribution

11. app distribution w/ DB library reference

12. Distribution of Access 97 program