Downloading .vbs files from web site
Author Message
 Downloading .vbs files from web site

I posted some client side utility scripts on my webpage at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~wgjames/vbspage/.  Now I have a report of
Internet Explorer wanting to make them .mp3 files, and true enough it is
doing that to me also.  I have downloaded these before on this system with
the file type correctly showing as .vbs.  The only change here is upgrading
to IE 5.01, but I don't know if that would cause this problem, or is it a
configuration problem with my ISPs server?

I suppose I could just make them .zip files, but since they are so small I
didn't want to put the extra step in there for no real benefit.

Bill James

Mon, 13 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Downloading .vbs files from web site
I checked a couple of other sites with .vbs files available for download,
and they worked correctly, displaying .vbs as the file type.  Must be the
ISP server.

Bill James

Quote:
> I posted some client side utility scripts on my webpage at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/.  Now I have a report of
> Internet Explorer wanting to make them .mp3 files, and true enough it is
> doing that to me also.  I have downloaded these before on this system with
> the file type correctly showing as .vbs.  The only change here is
upgrading
> to IE 5.01, but I don't know if that would cause this problem, or is it a
> configuration problem with my ISPs server?

> I suppose I could just make them .zip files, but since they are so small I
> didn't want to put the extra step in there for no real benefit.

> Bill James

Mon, 13 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Downloading .vbs files from web site

>I posted some client side utility scripts on my webpage at
>http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/.  Now I have a report of
>Internet Explorer wanting to make them .mp3 files, and true enough it is
>doing that to me also.  I have downloaded these before on this system with
>the file type correctly showing as .vbs.  The only change here is upgrading
>to IE 5.01, but I don't know if that would cause this problem, or is it a
>configuration problem with my ISPs server?

Using IE 4.01 sp2, the vbs files give a prompt to save as vbs. Looks OK
from here. I also use Earthlink.

Site check: page is very clean and intuitive.

Regards,
    LiL Endian

Quote:

>I suppose I could just make them .zip files, but since they are so small I
>didn't want to put the extra step in there for no real benefit.

>Bill James

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Downloading .vbs files from web site
Thank you Lil.  I received a replay back from Earthlink: "The file extension
.vbs is registered as the MIME type for x-mpeg on our servers.  All files
that have the extension .vbs will be treated as an mpeg file."  How
ridiculous.  I sent a reply for them to review this, but I suppose I will
end up having to zip them.  Interesting that you can still download with
.vbs default in IE4.  I still have one backup computer running IE4, so
perhaps I should fire it up and see what results I get.

Bill James

Quote:
> Hi,

> >I posted some client side utility scripts on my webpage at
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~wgjames/vbspage/.  Now I have a report of
> >Internet Explorer wanting to make them .mp3 files, and true enough it is
> >doing that to me also.  I have downloaded these before on this system
with
> >the file type correctly showing as .vbs.  The only change here is
upgrading
> >to IE 5.01, but I don't know if that would cause this problem, or is it a
> >configuration problem with my ISPs server?

> Using IE 4.01 sp2, the vbs files give a prompt to save as vbs. Looks OK
> from here. I also use Earthlink.

> Site check: page is very clean and intuitive.

> Regards,
>     LiL Endian

> >I suppose I could just make them .zip files, but since they are so small
> >didn't want to put the extra step in there for no real benefit.

> >Bill James

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Auto Download of doc files into new doc file from a web site

2. Downloading file sets from a web site.

3. downloading a file from a Web Site?

4. How download icon from web site?

5. Web Challenge: No image can be downloaded from site

6. How download icon from web site?

7. Web site to download Extended Code 39 ?

8. FYI - New Web Site Security Issue - Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability

9. FYI - New Web Site Security Issue - Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability

10. FYI - New Web Site Security Issue - Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability

11. Downloading files off a site