Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Author Message
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...

Hi ,
 I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
sName = Computername
  WShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName",sName
  WShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\ComputerName",sName
  WShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
sName
  WShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
Hostname", sName

 And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
the Error

I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 02:28:30 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
What tool are you using to shut down?

Quote:
> Hi ,
>  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> sName = Computername
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerName",s
Name
Quote:
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\ComputerN
ame",sName
Quote:
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
Quote:
> sName
>   WShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> Hostname", sName

>  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> the Error

> I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 02:42:57 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
http://www.tymand.com/download.html
Look for NT Tools.

--
Gurgen Alaverdian
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

Quote:
> Hi ,
>  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> sName = Computername
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
e",sName
Quote:
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
terName",sName
Quote:
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
Quote:
> sName
>   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
Quote:
> Hostname", sName

>  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> the Error

> I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 02:53:05 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
I'm wondering if there might be a problem with token privilege elevation after
doing a rename.  That could cause this behavior.

Quote:
> This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> Look for NT Tools.

> --
> Gurgen Alaverdian
> http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > Hi ,
> >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > sName = Computername
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> e",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> terName",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > Hostname", sName

> >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > the Error

> > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:28:02 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
I suppose so, as shutdown.exe is trying to authenticate user with
newname\username (local logon) which does not yet exist.
Well... another bug to the pile for shutdown.exe and one more reason not to
use it.

--
Gurgen Alaverdian
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

Quote:
> I'm wondering if there might be a problem with token privilege elevation
after
> doing a rename.  That could cause this behavior.

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:58:51 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Now I can not even logon to Windows 2000. I had autologin on this as
admin and old computer name. I only see the windows 200 logo screen
and then blue screen where i can move my mouse I tried to hold the
shift key so that logon screen may appear but it doesn;t appear. I
tried to run windows 200 setup to repair but it asks for logon
password at the command promt kind of black screen and then get out in
to prompt screen.

  I guess I screwed it up good this time ....

Quote:

> This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> Look for NT Tools.

> --
> Gurgen Alaverdian
> http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > Hi ,
> >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > sName = Computername
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> e",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> terName",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > Hostname", sName

> >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > the Error

> > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:43:46 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
If you have removed the workstation from its domain, then it is using the local
account database.  What was the original password it was set up with?

Quote:
> Now I can not even logon to Windows 2000. I had autologin on this as
> admin and old computer name. I only see the windows 200 logo screen
> and then blue screen where i can move my mouse I tried to hold the
> shift key so that logon screen may appear but it doesn;t appear. I
> tried to run windows 200 setup to repair but it asks for logon
> password at the command promt kind of black screen and then get out in
> to prompt screen.

>   I guess I screwed it up good this time ....

Quote:
> > This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> > http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> > Look for NT Tools.

> > --
> > Gurgen Alaverdian
> > http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > > Hi ,
> > >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > > sName = Computername
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> > "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> > e",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> > "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> > terName",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> >  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > > sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> >  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > > Hostname", sName

> > >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > > the Error

> > > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:51:54 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
First of all, you should not specify the computer name for local autologon.
System will figure it out by itself.
If you are on the network you might want to try to connect to the registry
remotely from another machine and switch autologon to 0.

When you said "black screen" did you mean recovery console?

--
Gurgen Alaverdian
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

Quote:
> Now I can not even logon to Windows 2000. I had autologin on this as
> admin and old computer name. I only see the windows 200 logo screen
> and then blue screen where i can move my mouse I tried to hold the
> shift key so that logon screen may appear but it doesn;t appear. I
> tried to run windows 200 setup to repair but it asks for logon
> password at the command promt kind of black screen and then get out in
> to prompt screen.

>   I guess I screwed it up good this time ....

Quote:
> > This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me
down.
> > http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> > Look for NT Tools.

> > --
> > Gurgen Alaverdian
> > http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > > Hi ,
> > >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > > sName = Computername
> > >   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
Quote:
> > e",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu

> > terName",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> >  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > > sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> >  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > > Hostname", sName

> > >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > > the Error

> > > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:08:44 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Actually I am running that from Laptop having Windows 2000 Advanced
Server and at the time was logging on locally using Administrator
account and domain as local machine name ....I was using Autologon
through registry setting and had it setup as old computer name
Quote:

> This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> Look for NT Tools.

> --
> Gurgen Alaverdian
> http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > Hi ,
> >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > sName = Computername
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> e",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> terName",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > Hostname", sName

> >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > the Error

> > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:10:47 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
You're confusing me.
Did you rename your machine without taking it out from the domain first?
Or is this machine is configured as a *domain controlled*?

--
Gurgen Alaverdian
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

Quote:
> Actually I am running that from Laptop having Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server and at the time was logging on locally using Administrator
> account and domain as local machine name ....I was using Autologon
> through registry setting and had it setup as old computer name

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:16:21 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Uh-oh... I think I see a close encounter with the Linux "password change"
utility for Win2K in someone's future...

It does work.

Quote:
> You're confusing me.
> Did you rename your machine without taking it out from the domain first?
> Or is this machine is configured as a *domain controlled*?

> --
> Gurgen Alaverdian
> http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > Actually I am running that from Laptop having Windows 2000 Advanced
> > Server and at the time was logging on locally using Administrator
> > account and domain as local machine name ....I was using Autologon
> > through registry setting and had it setup as old computer name

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:35:41 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Sorry for the Confusion ...

Yes machine is set up to log on to Domain when I am not on the Road
but Most of the time I l Just logon to this Machine Using

  User Id = Administrator
  Password : AdminPassword
  Domain   : ComputerName

   When I am at office I used my

   UserId : <My Netword User Id>
   Password : Domain User password for above ID
   Domain   : DeveloperDomain

  I was working on this Logon Script . I didn't take the machine out
of domain. I just changed the registry entries for computer name. And
now I can not log on to it at all

Quote:

> This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> Look for NT Tools.

> --
> Gurgen Alaverdian
> http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > Hi ,
> >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > sName = Computername
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> e",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> terName",sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > sName
> >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > Hostname", sName

> >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > the Error

> > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 06:39:42 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Ouch... you did not take it from the domain. And now since an old name is
specified in winlogon\DefaultDomainName your machine is trying to locate the
domain with this name on the network. If your machine is off network it
might take some time. Give it a time and it should come up with an error
eventually and prompt you with logon screen.
Unless (and I can not speculate) something else went wrong.

Also, as I stated before, try to connect your machine to the network (when
you can). Then connect to it form another PC, authenticate as
newname\administrator password. Finally use regedt32 and attach to the
remote registry and change Winlogon key values.

Reserve "Linix boot" as Alex suggested if you can *not* access your machine
remotely.

Gurgen Alaverdian
http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

Quote:
> Sorry for the Confusion ...

> Yes machine is set up to log on to Domain when I am not on the Road
> but Most of the time I l Just logon to this Machine Using

>   User Id = Administrator
>   Password : AdminPassword
>   Domain   : ComputerName

>    When I am at office I used my

>    UserId : <My Netword User Id>
>    Password : Domain User password for above ID
>    Domain   : DeveloperDomain

>   I was working on this Logon Script . I didn't take the machine out
> of domain. I just changed the registry entries for computer name. And
> now I can not log on to it at all

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:10:44 GMT
 Shuting Down after Renaming Computer ...
Thanks a Lot Guys ....The Linux Utility Really worked and I got the
Computer name registry keys setup to the old name and am able to logon
though it takes 15 minutes to log on and now giving me error . Error
messages are SID key mismatch or something I guess i better try NetDom
to take it out of domain and join again That might help ...
Quote:

> Sorry for the Confusion ...

> Yes machine is set up to log on to Domain when I am not on the Road
> but Most of the time I l Just logon to this Machine Using

>   User Id = Administrator
>   Password : AdminPassword
>   Domain   : ComputerName

>    When I am at office I used my

>    UserId : <My Netword User Id>
>    Password : Domain User password for above ID
>    Domain   : DeveloperDomain

>   I was working on this Logon Script . I didn't take the machine out
> of domain. I just changed the registry entries for computer name. And
> now I can not log on to it at all

> > This is an old but excellent Freeware tools I'm using. Never let me down.
> > http://www.tymand.com/download.html
> > Look for NT Tools.

> > --
> > Gurgen Alaverdian
> > http://www.gurgensvbstuff.com

> > > Hi ,
> > >  I Have changed the Rgistry Keys to Change The computer Name
> > > sName = Computername
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> > "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\ComputerNam
> > e",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
> > "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\Compu
> > terName",sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname",
> > > sName
> > >   WShell.RegWrite
>  "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NV
> > > Hostname", sName

> > >  And Then When I try to run the Shutdown from the login Script I get
> > > the Error

> > > I have logged on as Admin. Does Changing computer name efffects the
> > > permission and how to over come it ?

Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:37:12 GMT

1. Shuting down COM+ Application

2. Shuting down windows

3. how to stop other applications from shuting down

4. Shuting down the PC

5. how to stop applications from shuting down

6. Shuting down Win2000

7. Shuting down the machine?

8. Shuting down windows

9. Shuting down windows 95 from VB5

10. Shuting down MTS package with VB

11. Shuting down a NT machine (ExitWindowsEX)

12. Shuting down win95