Off-Topic: Outlook Express causes system shutdown hang
Author Message
 Off-Topic: Outlook Express causes system shutdown hang

Yes, this is off-topic, but I was wondering if any of you scripting experts
could help.

Outlook Express seems to close alright, when I click the close button (or
the file/exit menu selection).  However, when I later go to shut down the
system, it comes back saying that outlook express is not responding.

I posted this enquiry in the Outlook Express newsgroup, and Steve Cochran
recommended that I disable the auto compression, and compress everything
manually (file/folder/compact all files).  This does seem to work, if I
compact everything just before exiting OEx.

However, being forgetful by nature, I don't remember to manually compact
every time, and so still get those hangups at shutdown.

Anybody here have any similiar experience?  Have you found a fix for it?  I
would like to script a fix, if Microsoft doesn't provide a fix, but OEx
doesn't have an automation interface (grumble, grumble)...

tiafah, jw

p.s.  Steve Cochran also suggested that the Norton Anti-Virus program could
be messing up OEx.  Anybody have any knowledge of anything like that
happening?

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 04:45:43 GMT
 Off-Topic: Outlook Express causes system shutdown hang
Jim - just a suggestion for "further diagnostics".

It would be interesting to see what happens if you run OE in
"mailonly" and "newsonly" modes - does it still hang after a
comparable period of activity?  This might help narrow down a source
to either "news" or "mail" folders.

I don't know if the question of "corruption" was raised, but
size-related errors may be the source of your problem.  I have a huge
array of subfolders I put everything into, which reduces my largest
file size considerably.

As it is, when I look in:
C:\Documents and Settings\%My Name%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\%GUID%\Microsoft\Outlook Express

the largest file is usually about 5 MB - this is hard to work around
if you keep the full messages for an entire newsgroup history, and I
don't _know_ that Outlook Express has a problem with large DBX files,
but then again I don't know that it doesn't.

Quote:
> Yes, this is off-topic, but I was wondering if any of you scripting
experts
> could help.

> Outlook Express seems to close alright, when I click the close
button (or
> the file/exit menu selection).  However, when I later go to shut
down the
> system, it comes back saying that outlook express is not responding.

> I posted this enquiry in the Outlook Express newsgroup, and Steve
Cochran
> recommended that I disable the auto compression, and compress
everything
> manually (file/folder/compact all files).  This does seem to work,
if I
> compact everything just before exiting OEx.

> However, being forgetful by nature, I don't remember to manually
compact
> every time, and so still get those hangups at shutdown.

> Anybody here have any similiar experience?  Have you found a fix for
it?  I
> would like to script a fix, if Microsoft doesn't provide a fix, but
OEx
> doesn't have an automation interface (grumble, grumble)...

> tiafah, jw

> p.s.  Steve Cochran also suggested that the Norton Anti-Virus
program could
> be messing up OEx.  Anybody have any knowledge of anything like that
> happening?

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:11:05 GMT
 Off-Topic: Outlook Express causes system shutdown hang
Hey I think this is a problem with outlook and Mcafee
are you running Mcafee?  If so when you CTRL+ALT+DELETE you will notice
there are a ton of misme (or something like that in the Task Manager).  If
you remove Mcafee virus e-mail scan I think that may help.  If this is not
the case then wish you luck.

Quote:
> Jim - just a suggestion for "further diagnostics".

> It would be interesting to see what happens if you run OE in
> "mailonly" and "newsonly" modes - does it still hang after a
> comparable period of activity?  This might help narrow down a source
> to either "news" or "mail" folders.

> I don't know if the question of "corruption" was raised, but
> size-related errors may be the source of your problem.  I have a huge
> array of subfolders I put everything into, which reduces my largest
> file size considerably.

> As it is, when I look in:
> C:\Documents and Settings\%My Name%\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Identities\%GUID%\Microsoft\Outlook Express

> the largest file is usually about 5 MB - this is hard to work around
> if you keep the full messages for an entire newsgroup history, and I
> don't _know_ that Outlook Express has a problem with large DBX files,
> but then again I don't know that it doesn't.

> > Yes, this is off-topic, but I was wondering if any of you scripting
> experts
> > could help.

> > Outlook Express seems to close alright, when I click the close
> button (or
> > the file/exit menu selection).  However, when I later go to shut
> down the
> > system, it comes back saying that outlook express is not responding.

> > I posted this enquiry in the Outlook Express newsgroup, and Steve
> Cochran
> > recommended that I disable the auto compression, and compress
> everything
> > manually (file/folder/compact all files).  This does seem to work,
> if I
> > compact everything just before exiting OEx.

> > However, being forgetful by nature, I don't remember to manually
> compact
> > every time, and so still get those hangups at shutdown.

> > Anybody here have any similiar experience?  Have you found a fix for
> it?  I
> > would like to script a fix, if Microsoft doesn't provide a fix, but
> OEx
> > doesn't have an automation interface (grumble, grumble)...

> > tiafah, jw

> > p.s.  Steve Cochran also suggested that the Norton Anti-Virus
> program could
> > be messing up OEx.  Anybody have any knowledge of anything like that
> > happening?

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:45:07 GMT

1. Outlook Express hangs when invoked by MAPI controls

2. module causing system hang

3. Inet causing system to hang

4. MAPI causes Outlook Express conflict

5. Newbie: how to launch Outlook Express instead of Outlook

6. Script Outlook and Outlook Express

7. Outlook VS Outlook Express

8. How to config outlook and outlook express by writing scripting

9. PS Reference Manuals (off topic really)

10. Off Topic---programming contract

11. hide an image - off topic ??