ADSI question (can I just installl it on our PDC?)
Author Message
 ADSI question (can I just installl it on our PDC?)

I am going to set up ADSI 2.5 on our NT 4.0 domain.  What I am trying to do
right now is simply automate the password change process via login scripts
for our win 9x clients.  My question is...  can I just install ADSI on our
Domain Controllers.  Or do I also need to install it on every 9x machine we
have?  At this point all I really need to accomplish with ADSI is this
password change. I am going to use code similar to this:

Set UserObj = GetObject("WinNT://ComputerName/UserName")
UserObj.ChangePassword "oldpassword", "newpassword"
UserObj.SetInfo
Set UserObj = Nothing

So can I just install ADSI on our PDC and then use it as the computername in
the above script?  Or do I need to install it on the 9x machines also?

Thanks!

Chris

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:13:15 GMT
 ADSI question (can I just installl it on our PDC?)

Quote:
> I am going to set up ADSI 2.5 on our NT 4.0 domain.  What I am trying to
do
> right now is simply automate the password change process via login scripts
> for our win 9x clients.  My question is...  can I just install ADSI on our
> Domain Controllers.  Or do I also need to install it on every 9x machine
we
> have?  At this point all I really need to accomplish with ADSI is this
> password change. I am going to use code similar to this:

> Set UserObj = GetObject("WinNT://ComputerName/UserName")
> UserObj.ChangePassword "oldpassword", "newpassword"
> UserObj.SetInfo
> Set UserObj = Nothing

> So can I just install ADSI on our PDC and then use it as the computername
in
> the above script?

No. The "ComputerName" given is the computer on which the "username" is
defined, NOT the computername where ADSI is installed.

Quote:
>    Or do I need to install it on the 9x machines also?

Yes, unless you want your users to change their passwords by running your
script WHILE LOGGED IN ON THE PDC.

Think about it, you are running a VBScript on what computer? Ans: one of our
9x machines. Will these scripts run there if WSH has not been installed on
all of those systems? Ans: NO. Given that WSH has been installed, do I need
to install any components that my vbscripts need to run? Ans: YES.

You might be thinking that GetObject is looking to create an object remotely
based on the argument it is given. Think of all of the other uses you have
made of GetObject (or CreateObject); no computername specification occurs in
the parameter, does it (except perhaps in the UNC part of a pathname
specification - in that case, if the file noted is a particular type of
document, the software to load that document must be installed on the client
machine being used)?

The "WinNT:" tells createobject that the object you want created is one
provided by ADSI. The rest of the string tells ADSI what type of object it
is you want to create.

/Al

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:40:34 GMT

1. ADSI question (can I just installl it on our PDC?)

2. WSH/ADSI needs to connect to PDC?

3. When using ADSI have to connect to PDC

4. How to use ADSI to get name of BDC or PDC

5. Stupid VBScript/ADSI question

6. ADSI Question

7. VBS and ADSI Object begginer question.

8. An ADSI and VBScript question

9. Another ADSI question...

10. Stupid VBScript/ADSI question

11. Question about remote access to ADSI objects

12. ADSI: Change service account info question