How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
Author Message
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.

Gunter Born has a useful site for examples of creating VB5CCE based components for use with WSH...

Born's Windows Scripting Host Bazaar
http://www.*-*-*.com/

WSHExtend, WSHForm, and WSHSystem are all based on VB5CCE.

The basic idea is that you create a UserControl that exposes methods for showing the various forms that you create.  The UserControl is the "host" for the forms, You also need to devise a scheme for passing data from the script to the control and/or form and back to the script, otherwise the form isn't of much use to the script client, so I assume you've already done that.

Hopefully, you didn't use the UserControl itself to be the container window for text boxes, buttons, list boxes, etc. because that won't work for a script client.  You have to use separate forms that the control (which itself is kept invisible) shows when asked.  Look at Gunter's WSHForm control for a working example.

--
Michael Harris

  I have downloaded Visual Basic 5.0 CCE, but unfortunatly the documentation
  links on the site seem to be dead. So I was hoping that someone could answer
  my question.

  At the moment I have three froms created. When I press start these forms do
  excatly what I want them to do. But I don't want to have to load up CCE
  every time I want to run these forms. From a previous post I have been told
  that you can "make" these forms in to OCX objects that can be run via
  VBScript. However I can not get the make option in the file menu to become
  un-greyed out.

  Could somebody please tell me step by step how I can get these froms to be
  compiled as a stand alone program or how to get them to run via VBscript?
  And by step by step I mean treat me like somebody who probably doesn't know
  what you are talking about :) .

  Thanks.

  Matthew

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
[...]

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
Ok, so let me see if I have this right. I want to create a fairly complex
form that can be executed with VBScript, but to do this I have to create all
the code from scratch using Active X code within VB CCE. I then make an OCX
file using this code and I access it's features using somthing like Set
objAdr = CreateObject("MyActiveXCode.MyFunction") within a VBScript.

Is there any way to just use the eaisier form creation tool where you just
code for what happens when a button is pressed or a textbox contents changes
and all the boring stuff like actually coding the graphics for the boxes and
detecting if they have been pressed has been done for you (please say yes
:P )?

Thanks yet again...
Matthew

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.

I guess Gunter doesn't release the source any more (unless you buy his book)...

The short answer is "No, you don't have to reinvent the wheel...".  But without a specific example, it's hard to explain in a short newsgroup post.

I'm sure there are plenty of others in your situation who'd like to see come working code.  Give me the "specs" for something relatively simple that you're trying to do and I'll see if I can whip up a simple example for you over the weekend ;-)...  Since I have full VB, I don't generally use the UserControl technique, but I do have some (generally not very useful) examples at home.

--
Michael Harris

  Ok, so let me see if I have this right. I want to create a fairly complex
  form that can be executed with VBScript, but to do this I have to create all
  the code from scratch using Active X code within VB CCE. I then make an OCX
  file using this code and I access it's features using somthing like Set
  objAdr = CreateObject("MyActiveXCode.MyFunction") within a VBScript.

  Is there any way to just use the eaisier form creation tool where you just
  code for what happens when a button is pressed or a textbox contents changes
  and all the boring stuff like actually coding the graphics for the boxes and
  detecting if they have been pressed has been done for you (please say yes
  :P )?

  Thanks yet again...
  Matthew

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
for some strange reason, microsoft is not making the vb5cce documentation
available on the link I gave you before(?).   How disgusting!  That
documentation was really helpful.  (It's tempting to think "dark
thoughts")...

However, they still offer "Creating Your First ActiveX Control with Visual
Basic 5.0" on the following page, which should get you going...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/msdn_firstax.htm

but hurry!  before the microsoft "documentation purger" erases that copy
too.  Then you might be "forced" to buy a copy of the regular vb compiler
(oops, a "dark thought" slipped out).

cheers, jw
.

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
hey dude, why don't you BUY vb like the rest of us and don't try to get away
with not paying

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
There does happen to be one website where the vb5cce doc is available for
downloading.  (I can verify that the files are there, I just finished
uploading them).  It is:

     http://home.att.net/~wshvbs/vb5cce_DocPage.htm

The six files (ccedoc01-06) may be downloaded, and will install the
documentation (in microsoft word format) in a subdirectory of your choice.

In addition, almost every visual basic book has a chapter on how to write
activeX controls, which is what one does with vb5cce.  Our local
"Buck-A-Book" store (a discount outlet) carries a number of reference books
on visual basic 5, (now considered an "obsolete" product).  All of their
books may be purchased at a fraction of their original cost.  For about the
cost of a "happy meal", one can get microsoft's visual basic 5 programmer's
guide, microsoft's visual basic 5 reference manual, Que's "Using visual
basic 5", and Dan Appleman's excellent "Developing ActiveX Components with
visual basic 5" (subtitled: "a guide to the perplexed").

cheers, jw

Quote:
> I have downloaded Visual Basic 5.0 CCE, but unfortunatly the documentation
> links on the site seem to be dead. So I was hoping that someone could
answer
> my question.

Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
Thanks for the files! When I looked at them, my download manager sniffed out a
mirror site in Russia:

ftp.informika.ru/pub/companies/MICROSOFT/vbcce/ccedoc01.exe

There is also a copy of ccehelp.exe (2.77Mbytes) there. This is not-chopped-up
version of the documentation.

When I tried this site it was _painfully_ slow, so you might want to get your
copy from Jim's site. :-)

=-=-=
Steve
-=-=-

Quote:
> There does happen to be one website where the vb5cce doc is available for
> downloading.  (I can verify that the files are there, I just finished
> uploading them).  It is:

>      http://home.att.net/~wshvbs/vb5cce_DocPage.htm

> The six files (ccedoc01-06) may be downloaded, and will install the
> documentation (in microsoft word format) in a subdirectory of your choice.

> In addition, almost every visual basic book has a chapter on how to write
> activeX controls, which is what one does with vb5cce.  Our local
> "Buck-A-Book" store (a discount outlet) carries a number of reference books
> on visual basic 5, (now considered an "obsolete" product).  All of their
> books may be purchased at a fraction of their original cost.  For about the
> cost of a "happy meal", one can get microsoft's visual basic 5 programmer's
> guide, microsoft's visual basic 5 reference manual, Que's "Using visual
> basic 5", and Dan Appleman's excellent "Developing ActiveX Components with
> visual basic 5" (subtitled: "a guide to the perplexed").

> cheers, jw

> > I have downloaded Visual Basic 5.0 CCE, but unfortunatly the documentation
> > links on the site seem to be dead. So I was hoping that someone could
> answer
> > my question.

Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
I'm not interested in paying for a product when I only want to do simple
programs. If you didn't realise that there was a free way to do these things
then thats your loss, not mine.

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to compile VB 5.0 CCE code.
Thanks a lot. This documentation should help a lot.

Matthew

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS Visual Basic 5.0 CCE Compiling

2. VB 5.0 CCE Help!!

3. VB 5.0 CCE

4. DLL loading Problem with VB 5.0 CCE

5. VB 5.0 CCE

6. VB 5.0 CCE

7. VB 5.0 CCE TextBox Question

8. GDI Function Calls in VB 5.0 CCE

9. How to use a file on the server with VB 5.0 CCE

10. VB CCE/5.0 Enterprise Help

11. How to use a file on the server with VB 5.0 CCE

12. VB CCE/5.0 Enterprise Help