Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations
Author Message
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations

I've been updating my list of hostable scripting languages.  All follow-ups are
set to microsoft.public.scripting.wsh.

+ Known Free Packages:

    ForthScript
     Skeletal implementation of Forth by Mark Hammond.  Note that this is most
useful as a core for working with Active Scripting implementation; this is most
appropriately described as a minimal "Forth-like" language.
     Source download from Mark Baker's site:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mark_baker/forthscript.zip
     compiled version from my site:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    HaskellScript
     Haskell is one of the best-known "functional programming" languages.
     HaskellScript download:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    Jscript
     Available from Microsoft; comes with any WSH or Internet Explorer install.

    LuaScript
     Lua is designed as a lightweight, portable scripting language to be used
embedded or on its own.
  download of LuaScript
    http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Downloads and more information about Lua in general
    http://www.*-*-*.com/
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

    NullScript
     As Hugh Brown, the author, puts it, this is "the scripting language about
nothing".  It actually serves two useful purposes.  It was designed to look at
what an active host "says" to a scripting language. The source code itself is a
minimalist implementation of the framework for an Active Scripting language.
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    PerlScript
     included with ActiveState's full Perl install.
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    python
     included with the full Python install from ActiveState.  ActiveState's
implementation may be diverging a bit from the Python community's version,
though, and the Python community is the best primary source of information.
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
  http://www.*-*-*.com/
  comp.lang.python

    RubyScript
     RubyScript is the Active Scripting version of Ruby, arguably the hottest
scripting language in Japan.  It has a syntax which will be comfortable for
VBScript users, and is seeing heavy use in Europe and the Americas.  NASA has
begun using Ruby recently for scripting numerically intense applications.
     ActiveRuby download:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     The main English language page is here:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     Source files for Active Ruby are available here:
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     FYI, most of the reference documentation on the Ruby pages comes from users
who are native Japanese speakers and have laboriously translated the information
into English.  The mix of European and Japanese characters and usage may
initially be a little off-putting, but don't let that bother you; if you use
Ruby for a while you will begin to see Japanese characters on a page as a sign
of elegance and quality.  There is full, well-written English documentation
here - this is the full text of the book "Programming Ruby":
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    TclScript
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     This is a minimalist implementation which is dependent on having a full Tcl
installed.

    VBScript
     Available from Microsoft; comes with any WSH or Internet Explorer install.

+ Known Commercial Packages
    ObjectRexx (IBM)
     IBM's Rexx, with support for use natively and as an Active Scripting
language.
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     Pricing as of January 2003 varies depending on version (US$68-285).  A
trial version can be downloaded.
     Examples of use are somewhat limited in IBM's distribution, but
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    PScript (MKS)
     Part of the MKS Toolkit; described as a "perl-based web page scripting
language".
      http://www.*-*-*.com/

    ActiveBatch (Advanced Systems Concepts - WinBatch)
      http://www.*-*-*.com/
     Details of how it works with Active Scripting hosts are unknown to me.

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 05:09:30 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:09:30 -0500, "Alex K. Angelopoulos \(MVP\)"

Quote:

>+ Known Commercial Packages
>    ObjectRexx (IBM)
>     IBM's Rexx, with support for use natively and as an Active Scripting
>language.
>     http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/obj-rexx/
>     Pricing as of January 2003 varies depending on version (US$68-285).  A
>trial version can be downloaded.
>     Examples of use are somewhat limited in IBM's distribution, but
>     http://pragmaticlee.safedataisp.net/

Thanks for the mention!  Hopefully within the next couple of weeks we
at the RexxLA will have a code repository available at www.rexxla.org
- its been a long time coming, but we are finally making progress.
You know what they say 'shoemakers children have no shoes'.  Dr. Rony
Flatscher from Austria has loads of wsh scripts that he wants to
share.

Lee

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:40:10 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations

I just posted about 11 rexx scripts to my site. http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/default.asp?topic=repository&Scr...

--

http://cwashington.netreach.net

On this site you will find resources for all of your scripting needs. Everything you need to get up and running. OVER 700 Sample Scripts. OVER 60 FREE scriptable COM objects. You will find reference materials, FAQs, and technical support via a public online forum we call the discussionLOUNGE and public chat rooms

Clarence

  at the RexxLA will have a code repository available at www.rexxla.org
  - its been a long time coming, but we are finally making progress.
  You know what they say 'shoemakers children have no shoes'.  Dr. Rony
  Flatscher from Austria has loads of wsh scripts that he wants to
  share.

  Lee

Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:54:29 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations

Quote:

> I've been updating my list of hostable scripting languages.

>     ForthScript
>      compiled version from my site:
>      http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/forth.zip

Can you confirm that the "Forth.dll" works with Windows 2000, Service
Pack 3. I downloaded the zip from your site and registered Forth.dll
using regsvr32. I tried to execute the demo file stackforth.vbs
included in the zip by doubling clicking on it in a window.I received
the following Windows script Host error,

Script: C:\temp\stackforth.vbs
Line:   1:
Char:   1:
Error:  ActiveX component can't create object : 'Forth.Interpreter'
Code:   800A01AD

Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks,
Alex Robertson

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:27:19 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations
I've been discussing this via email with Alex R.  It does not appear to work
correctly with NT4  or Windows 2000; since I've had to hack up the source code
somewhat and have minimal C++ experience, I suspect that some of the changes I
introduced work only with XP.

If anyone else is interested in looking at this, I have the sources now up at:
http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/ForthScript.zip

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
 http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com
 ----------
 Subscribe to Microsoft's Security Bulletins:
 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp

Quote:

> > I've been updating my list of hostable scripting languages.

> >     ForthScript
> >      compiled version from my site:
> >      http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/forth.zip

> Can you confirm that the "Forth.dll" works with Windows 2000, Service
> Pack 3. I downloaded the zip from your site and registered Forth.dll
> using regsvr32. I tried to execute the demo file stackforth.vbs
> included in the zip by doubling clicking on it in a window.I received
> the following Windows script Host error,

> Script: C:\temp\stackforth.vbs
> Line:   1:
> Char:   1:
> Error:  ActiveX component can't create object : 'Forth.Interpreter'
> Code:   800A01AD

> Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be greatly
> appreciated.

> thanks,
> Alex Robertson

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:28:29 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations
I can't force this version to compile on XP _and_ get it to run on Win2K/NT4
yet.  I've actually sent a note asking the original author about the
availability of a precompiled binary known to work on 2000/NT4.

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
 http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com
 ----------
 Subscribe to Microsoft's Security Bulletins:
 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp

Quote:
> I've been discussing this via email with Alex R.  It does not appear to work
> correctly with NT4  or Windows 2000; since I've had to hack up the source code
> somewhat and have minimal C++ experience, I suspect that some of the changes I
> introduced work only with XP.

> If anyone else is interested in looking at this, I have the sources now up at:
> http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/ForthScript.zip

> --
> Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
>  http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com
>  ----------
>  Subscribe to Microsoft's Security Bulletins:
>  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp

> > > I've been updating my list of hostable scripting languages.

> > >     ForthScript
> > >      compiled version from my site:
> > >      http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/forth.zip

> > Can you confirm that the "Forth.dll" works with Windows 2000, Service
> > Pack 3. I downloaded the zip from your site and registered Forth.dll
> > using regsvr32. I tried to execute the demo file stackforth.vbs
> > included in the zip by doubling clicking on it in a window.I received
> > the following Windows script Host error,

> > Script: C:\temp\stackforth.vbs
> > Line:   1:
> > Char:   1:
> > Error:  ActiveX component can't create object : 'Forth.Interpreter'
> > Code:   800A01AD

> > Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> > thanks,
> > Alex Robertson

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:41:50 GMT
 Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations
I have the original binary (and source) from Mark Hammond now; it should be up
within 48 hours or so at

http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/ForthOriginal.zip

--
Please respond in the newsgroup so everyone may benefit.
 http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com
 ----------
 Subscribe to Microsoft's Security Bulletins:
 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp

Quote:

> > I've been updating my list of hostable scripting languages.

> >     ForthScript
> >      compiled version from my site:
> >      http://dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/files/forth.zip

> Can you confirm that the "Forth.dll" works with Windows 2000, Service
> Pack 3. I downloaded the zip from your site and registered Forth.dll
> using regsvr32. I tried to execute the demo file stackforth.vbs
> included in the zip by doubling clicking on it in a window.I received
> the following Windows script Host error,

> Script: C:\temp\stackforth.vbs
> Line:   1:
> Char:   1:
> Error:  ActiveX component can't create object : 'Forth.Interpreter'
> Code:   800A01AD

> Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be greatly
> appreciated.

> thanks,
> Alex Robertson

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:25:57 GMT

1. Active Scripting Languages - Reference on implementations

2. Are there any C language Active Scripting modules?

3. Remote Scripting: Trouble Referencing an Active X Control on the Server Page

4. database implementation in active x control creation

5. Remote Scripting: Trouble Referencing an Active X Control on the Server Page

6. Remote Scripting: Trouble Referencing an Active X Control on the Server in ASP

7. database implementation in active x control creation

8. Accessing Active Directory using VBScript alike language (LDAP vs ADO)

9. Postscript language reference.

10. Postscript Language Reference Manual

11. New PostScript Language Reference is out