How to send PLT files straight to a printer from ASP
Author Message
 How to send PLT files straight to a printer from ASP

Dear all,

My company has a huge archive of PLT files. (HPGL plot files output from CAD
apps.) They currently reside on a HP-UX 9.x server and can be printed
directly to a UNIX printer queue using the lp command from a Telnet window.
Because they are already in HPGL (V2) they just print without any app being
required. This command is scripted from a simple menu system.

I need to replace this system with a function in my Intranet, written with
ASP running from IIS on NT4 server. Ideally I need to print to a
network-mapped printer on the IIS server using the TCP/IP address, rather
than an LPT port.

The printers are all HP Laserjets with JetDirect cards, so are setup on the
NT server using Add a Local printer, Printer/Port setup, Add/HP JetDirect
port and the TCP/IP address of the printer on the network.

I thought maybe I could use the FileSystemObject to access the PLT file as a
text file and print it, but there appears to be no Print method for the
TextStream object.

Any ideas how this could be achieved? Could I use the FileSystemObject to
directly copy the PLT file to a spool queue on the NT Server? Does anyone
know an ActiveX server-side DLL to do this. perhaps?

--
Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to send PLT files straight to a printer from ASP

Daniel,

I would go the other way: install Apache (free!) as an http-server on
the unix box, and write a cgi-script that does the printing (send the
PLT file to a local printer queue that is attached to the JetDirect
interface of your choice).
You could call this from a link generated by your asp script, or
redirect
to it.

Hans Kesting

Quote:

> Dear all,

> My company has a huge archive of PLT files. (HPGL plot files output from CAD
> apps.) They currently reside on a HP-UX 9.x server and can be printed
> directly to a UNIX printer queue using the lp command from a Telnet window.
> Because they are already in HPGL (V2) they just print without any app being
> required. This command is scripted from a simple menu system.

> I need to replace this system with a function in my Intranet, written with
> ASP running from IIS on NT4 server. Ideally I need to print to a
> network-mapped printer on the IIS server using the TCP/IP address, rather
> than an LPT port.

> The printers are all HP Laserjets with JetDirect cards, so are setup on the
> NT server using Add a Local printer, Printer/Port setup, Add/HP JetDirect
> port and the TCP/IP address of the printer on the network.

> I thought maybe I could use the FileSystemObject to access the PLT file as a
> text file and print it, but there appears to be no Print method for the
> TextStream object.

> Any ideas how this could be achieved? Could I use the FileSystemObject to
> directly copy the PLT file to a spool queue on the NT Server? Does anyone
> know an ActiveX server-side DLL to do this. perhaps?

> --
> Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to send PLT files straight to a printer from ASP
An interesting suggestion, but unfortunately my companies plan is to retire
the UNIX systems as soon as possible, so this is not an option. Any idea if
this can be done using something like Perl under NT, or a UNIX shell add-on
for NT?

--
Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

Quote:

>Daniel,

>I would go the other way: install Apache (free!) as an http-server on
>the unix box, and write a cgi-script that does the printing (send the
>PLT file to a local printer queue that is attached to the JetDirect
>interface of your choice).
>You could call this from a link generated by your asp script, or
>redirect
>to it.

>Hans Kesting

>> Dear all,

>> My company has a huge archive of PLT files. (HPGL plot files output from
CAD
>> apps.) They currently reside on a HP-UX 9.x server and can be printed
>> directly to a UNIX printer queue using the lp command from a Telnet
window.
>> Because they are already in HPGL (V2) they just print without any app
being
>> required. This command is scripted from a simple menu system.

>> I need to replace this system with a function in my Intranet, written
with
>> ASP running from IIS on NT4 server. Ideally I need to print to a
>> network-mapped printer on the IIS server using the TCP/IP address, rather
>> than an LPT port.

<snip...>

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to send PLT files straight to a printer from ASP

2. How to send file to printer in ASP

3. Printing straight ASCII text on a postscript printer?

4. VB5: printing straight to a printer...

5. VB Webclasses vs 'straight' ASP/Script

6. Printing straight to a printer

7. Help, How to send printer command to printer bypassing printer driver in vb

8. Saving as a straight run of the mill postscript file .ps

9. Converting straight text files to PS format

10. Looking for a Windows tool to send PS-file directly to PS-printer

11. Need to send PS file to a local printer

12. Send a PS file to the printer