Getting client side info - XP
Author Message
 Getting client side info - XP

I have a software package which runs fine for most people but not for SOME XP systems.

I want to find out what''s different about XP but my users are very unsophisticated users and asking them to check registry, dll files etc is huge.

So, given that my program could give me the answers but doesn''t run, I need to find an alternate technology. ASP comes to mind as XP must be able to run an ASP page, right. But, will ASP do what I need. Has anyone done this before. Even a wee script to do the equivalent of microsoft''s about / system info would be good.

I''m intending to put the info into a form, ask some more questions and rely on the user pressing submit and then sending from their default mail system so I''m not spying or doing anything underhand. Some of these people have even paid for their software so we really really want to help.

-----------------------------
This message is posted by http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:03:43 GMT
 Getting client side info - XP
Sarah,

Much of this is doable, but it will depend on what you are specifically after -
and you really *do* want to trim it down to specific things.  To take a
ridiculous example, you could easily export the entire registry using WSH - but
the resulting export file could be as large as 60-80 MiB.  Not what you want to
receive in your inbox. :)

I'm taking a look at your software itself (I assume it's PC Property Manager).
By the way, if any modules depend on Visual Basic runtimes, there are some
issues with differences between the XP versions and previous ones.  You can
correct many of those problems by running an application in "Application
Compatibility Mode".

Quote:
> I have a software package which runs fine for most people but not for SOME XP
systems.

> I want to find out what''s different about XP but my users are very

unsophisticated users and asking them to check registry, dll files etc is huge.
Quote:

> So, given that my program could give me the answers but doesn''t run, I need

to find an alternate technology. ASP comes to mind as XP must be able to run an
ASP page, right. But, will ASP do what I need. Has anyone done this before. Even
a wee script to do the equivalent of microsoft''s about / system info would be
good.
Quote:

> I''m intending to put the info into a form, ask some more questions and rely

on the user pressing submit and then sending from their default mail system so
I''m not spying or doing anything underhand. Some of these people have even paid
for their software so we really really want to help.
Quote:

> -----------------------------
> This message is posted by http://asp.forumszone.com

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:12:39 GMT

1. Getting Registry Info from Client side VBScript

2. Server side info in ActiveX Control (Client Side)

3. getting server side vbscript array to client side jscript

4. getting server side vbscript array to client side jscript

5. Getting Client's IP Address on Client Side

6. Side By Side Deployment of COM Components in XP

7. Getting client side machine's name.

8. Getting server date client-side

9. getting server variables to client side scripting

10. Getting client side machine's name.

11. Getting a recordset from server-side ASP into client object

12. Help: Getting GetUserName from a client-sided script?