Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS
Author Message
 Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS

Is it possible to join a domain through VBS for a Windows NT machine, I can
do it for Windows 2000 or XP no problem, but what about NT, any ideas?

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:44:13 GMT
 Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS

The NT4 resource kit has a tool called NETDOM.EXE that will allow this, you
could spawn it using the WScript.Shell.Run method.  NETDOM.EXE also comes
with the Win2000 resource kit, I'm not sure if this version also works with
NT4 machines.

When you say "join a domain" do you mean a NT4 domain or Active Directory
domain?  Do these NT4 machines have the AD client installed?

Quote:
> Is it possible to join a domain through VBS for a Windows NT machine, I
can
> do it for Windows 2000 or XP no problem, but what about NT, any ideas?

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 05:36:51 GMT
 Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS

Quote:

> Is it possible to join a domain through VBS for a Windows NT machine, I can
> do it for Windows 2000 or XP no problem, but what about NT, any ideas?

Hi

You can run netdom from your VBScript:

Netdom.exe for NT 4.0 version 1.8 dated 30. June 1999 can be downloaded from
the following Microsoft FTP site:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/nt4/x86/
self extracting zip file file: netdom_x86.exe

How To Join a Domain From the Command Line
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150493

If your domain is AD, you might need to use Netdom v2.0 (but I don't know, 2.0
might not work for NT4), latest version of netdom.exe v2.0 can be downloaded
from here:

Windows 2000 SP3 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp3/suppo...

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:38:19 GMT
 Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS
Thank you, yes that will work great never thought of it, all I need to do is
ceate a batch file to connect NT machines to my 2000 AD.

Quote:

> The NT4 resource kit has a tool called NETDOM.EXE that will allow this,
you
> could spawn it using the WScript.Shell.Run method.  NETDOM.EXE also comes
> with the Win2000 resource kit, I'm not sure if this version also works
with
> NT4 machines.

> When you say "join a domain" do you mean a NT4 domain or Active Directory
> domain?  Do these NT4 machines have the AD client installed?

> > Is it possible to join a domain through VBS for a Windows NT machine, I
> can
> > do it for Windows 2000 or XP no problem, but what about NT, any ideas?

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:41:06 GMT
 Windows NT Machine, join Domain through VBS
Hi

You should consider checking your computers clock/timezone, you are posting in
the future ;-)

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:44:07 GMT

1. Changing machine name and joining domain

2. Reboot Remote NT machine outside of NT domain

3. Add/join computer to Windows 2000 domain

4. Join Workgroup then join domain, via WSH?

5. Join NT domain with API?

6. Add NT machine to domain

7. How can I get machine names and IP addresses in a NT domain

8. Windows 2000 and windows NT in one machine

9. NT Domain name from W95 machine

10. Adding a Domain Global group to a machine local group in Windows 2000

11. Read Windows NT username, domain and real name

12. Login Script For Windows nt or domain